Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: instructions regarding nics

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

Default instructions regarding nics

Dear National Committee.

Obviously there has been a few incidents the past few days. Now, the CoC does not refer to nics or avatars.

Could the committee maybe give guidance as to what was discussed etc? I do understand that you will make decisions with the best for TB in mind, if you could just enlighten then the rest of TB and maybe just post a note when people intend to register that they must use discretion.

I look forward to hear from you.
    I love the RUMBLING EARTHSHATTERING sound of my V-TWIN!!!!!

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

I have 2 agree, some of the nics r not very appealing!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng

Thumbs down

Welcome to the Hardcore Motorcyclist Forum :roll:

I for one have seen this place change over the years... and I am truly saddened by what I have witnessed. What we have become... :roll:

Live and let live no longer applies... there is no freedom and people have no backbones.
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Me thinks a 3rd force is working overtime.... And the HC 4th Reich are less in number but stronger in commitment....

PS I still don not have smileys and icons!!!!!!!!!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    PS I still don not have smileys and icons!!!!!!!!!
    Here you go... use mine :wink:
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    "Black Beauty" Daytona 955i, "MooseBob" CRF230F, "The Project" XL500S
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post

I for one have seen this place change over the years... and I am truly saddened by what I have witnessed. What we have become... :roll:

Live and let live no longer applies... there is no freedom and people have no backbones.
    :roll:
    I was also a strong lad once, long ago........when 2 strokes ruled the world & Texan Plain meant something...........

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    :roll:
    See what I mean! As expected :roll:

Bike
    Ducati 996 (2001)
    Region
    Gauteng

I don't usually get involved in political aspects of the running of forums etc, but I feel I do need to comment on what I have seen transpire over the last few months.

As DaCat said, a lot has chnaged on the forums and one thing that has become more prevalent is what I deem a certain amount of over-moderation and this is leading to a large amount of animosity between members and the various people who hold the reponsibility of moderating and running the forums.

The system cannot become autocratic and mired in over regulation. Public forums are exactly that, public and should be left as such. Yes there are certain sections that are only available to members which is all well and good, but the way things have been going of late fewer members of the public are going to be willing to form part of and belong to this online family due to what is being aired in terms of grievances.

If this forum is to become a closely monitored system where there are over-bearing rules and regulations, then it would be best to convert to a closed forum where only paid up members have access and agree to conform to the rules and regulations as clearly outlined before becmoing a member. This however will be counterproductive.

From experience on another motoring forum which I am sure many of you know about, it reached a point where all the members eventually left and what was once a vibrant community is now a shell and completely barren.

The upside to it though was that the members went and formed another home and the family is once again vibrant.

It was all brought about by the previous online home becoming over regulated and autocratic.

Don't let that happen here.

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post

You're right DC - this place HAS changed over the years... from being a 'biker forum' to accepting more and more sectors of society... or ARE we being accepting?
    Fact is - the committee and moderators (yes, some of whom are still 'hardcore bikers') - voted in by YOU (the community) - are faced with having to deal with EVERY sector of society - and everybody's opinions... and trying to find the balance between a 'hardcore/ free/ rebel' biker society and the emerging sector who are motorcyclists/ commuters/ school kids - you name it.
    We'll NEVER be perfect... we'll continue making mistakes and learning - as we've done by appointing a new group of moderators - voted in by YOU (the community)...

So if you can find a balance that can encompass EVERY sector of society without prejudice, then please go ahead... come and attend the meetings - get involved with the politics - see what it's like... sitting on the side throwing rocks isn't going to achieve anything.

I ask you - what is THINK BIKE? Is it a 'bikers only' playground? Or is it a safety awareness campaign?

There are many 'bikers only' forums and others dedicated to playing in the dirt or even seeing who's got the fastest bikes... sure, they may include an ELEMENT of safety... but they each serve their place in society - that address the specific needs of a select sector of society - usually to the exclusion of folks who differ of opinion.

But THINK BIKE encompasses ALL those diverse forums/ cultures/ perceptions etc... in the hope that we try to spread a message of SAFETY and one of RESPECT...

How can we expect society in general to respect bikers in general?
    The motorist sees a 'biker'... he/she does not make differentiation to being a biker or motorcyclist or commuter or someone's mother/ father/ child... we ALL face the SAME challenges on our roads...

So yeah - we should be DAMN proud of what Think Bike has achieved... and its roots will always be there - and will never be forgotten... so long as the cause is continually supported by EVERYBODY regardless of sector/ status/ race/ religion etc.

So to all those who continually hammer the campaign and then get in a hissy fit and walk away - I challenge you to take a long hard look at yourself...
    You've chosen to support Think Bike - why is that? For safety reasons?
    I'm sure most of us belong to more than one forum... I urge you to use the other forums for your antics... but please respect and support what Think Bike is trying to do? Save YOUR skin!
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

Guys n Gals.....we(the committee) will look into the COC, and make any adjustments necessary.

Thank you SV Mad for pointing this out, with decent feedback like this we can continue to grow, appreciated.

Regards
    BB
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

King Kong Brass Cahoonas Unchained's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800, Buell XB12R, Motomia Cappuccino
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    Guys n Gals.....we(the committee) will look into the COC, and make any adjustments necessary.

Thank you SV Mad for pointing this out, with decent feedback like this we can continue to grow, appreciated.

Regards
    BB
    Congrats BB, this was a surpringly quick response
    (No sarcasm either)
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss myelin the most!

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Regards
    BB
    We fully appreciate the efforts WRT to this... but surely the "general" members should have the opportunity to include their thoughts on the process?

Should come down to "Public Opinion" surely? Wish the Government would listen to Public Opinion as well ...

Thanks.

Gem's Guardian Angel Dark Angel's Avatar
    Bike
    None of your business!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

PS I still don not have smileys and icons!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Same on my side as well. No smileys but i do have icons.
    Don't ride faster than what your guardian angel can fly

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Am I missing something here? Or should I just spend more time in the Pub talking nonsense?

I'm very good at that.

Seriously though, I can't say I've ever experienced heavy-handed moderation. Which doesn't imply others have not.

Mix any group of individuals and individualists and you get a curious melting pot of discussion & ideas. Not every post should be moderated for being contentious unless it breaches the code of conduct, and it seems (from what I'm reading between the lines) that its CHOOSING what constitutes a breach that's causing the trouble.

Perhaps the solution's a simple as saying that if you're moderating then don't jump until you've got what the intention was.
    Even more than that, don't post something potentially contentious if you haven't made your meaning clear. We're mostly adults (exception made to the real youngsters on the forum) and we all KNOW when we're posting if it's designed to cause kark or not. Use self-control & smarts & you won't get moderated.

Everyone likes to quack on about being bikers with no rules & rebels, and that's just self-deception. Show me the biggest rebel club in the world & I'll bet they've got rules, written or unwritten.

Heavy-handed control does not work. A free-for-all does not work. Finding a balance is a tricky thing to do, but has to be done if things are to function.

And we're all human & prone to error - give each other a little grace to make mistakes, folks.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    We fully appreciate the efforts WRT to this... but surely the "general" members should have the opportunity to include their thoughts on the process?

Should come down to "Public Opinion" surely? Wish the Government would listen to Public Opinion as well ...

Thanks.
    I think that would be great...
    But as has been seen on this forum over the last 2 weeks, there are many many peeps who don't really give a flying **** about the pursuits of TB, and are merely here for the *** praat. Should we( those who do give a flying **** about TB), allow those who dont, to have a say in the future of this organisation??

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

Thanks.
    +10000

Again, I ask whether this whole saga about PP has been blown way out of the water regarding her nic and avatar. I personally think a couple of people overreacted on this. I found PP nic very good, very ambiguous. If you thought the dirty part, then you would have found it offensive.

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

But as has been seen on this forum over the last 2 weeks, there are many many peeps who don't really give a flying **** about the pursuits of TB, and are merely here for the *** praat. Should we( those who do give a flying **** about TB), allow those who dont, to have a say in the future of this organisation??
    Agreed, but in personal opinion, the people that usually talks the most kark, are almost all the times the people that are the most passionate about biking and are willing to do stuff for TB.

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by SV MAD View Post
    Agreed, but in personal opinion, the people that usually talks the most kark, are almost all the times the people that are the most passionate about biking and are willing to do stuff for TB.
    MMMMM- not so sure about that.

King Kong Brass Cahoonas Unchained's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800, Buell XB12R, Motomia Cappuccino
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by SV MAD View Post
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss myelin the most!

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

I hear what you are saying, and fully agree with you...

BUT... without mentioning names, or giving details of the incident...

We had a case of a member questioning a moderators decision WRT to something. Said member was HEAVILY involved, and committed to the cause, and indeed "had" a lot to offer...

Said member was issued a warning (infraction)... which has led to said member distancing himself from TB completely...

All of this because the Member in question had the guts to "publically" air his opinion, and come out and say that he thought the Mods were being unfair... BUT, the CoC "doesn't allow this" ... so an infraction straight off the bat... seems like "Judge and Executioner" type action to me... so the mods are holding all the cards, and have all the power... and no recourse for members to publically question these actions, and open up same to public opinion (and no, doing so via PM doesn't count)...

Only one example of this (and obviously not the only one). Seems that TB is loosing valuable supporters who are willing to stand up and be counted at an alarming rate...

No good for the cause in my opinion... some serious thought and impartial judgement WRT the process going forward is needed...

TB is made up of it's members, and the committee\mods\admin are elected to represent said members... so let the members decide - and the forum is a part\extension of the same thing... seperate, but related... and no less important.

No goverment in the world has got it right yet (so maybe it is too difficult to achieve)... but one can never stop fighting for, and hoping that the perfect system can be created... perhaps that time is now...