Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the electronics boffins.

Bike
    BMW GS 1200 ,Yamaha XS 1100 Project Cafe Racer, 1966 Triumph Tiger100 Cafe Racer
    Region
    Western Cape

Lightbulb Question for the electronics boffins.

A while ago Doppler (please correct me if I'm wrong)shared his ideas of fitting a remote under the seat and attaching a button onto the handlebars.

I would like to do the same thing but from a different angle. I spoke to a buddy at work and he came up with a brilliant idea but I need someone (in the Cape) to make it work.

He suggested that I mount the remote under the seat but have it activated by a relay which is wired up to the flash/pass button. So whenever I get home I just flash the brights and the gate opens.

I am a mechanical person so this is above my "vuurmaakplek" so if there's anyone willing to make it work or point me towards someone who can, I will forever be in your debt.

I am not looking for freebies so it needs to be a professional job.
    WOULD I DO IT ALL AGAIN DIFFERENTLY?...HELL NO!

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

Try and contact our resident techie, ....Da Cat.
    As far as i know he did what you are proposing a while ago.
    Pretty straight forward if i remember correctly.

Good luck.
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng

Most remotes run on 12V so you can wire it directly to the bike... the flash button will most likely give a negative signal, so remove the battery out of the remote, hook the remote's negative terminal to the flash button and the remote's positive to any 12V positive on the bike... use an inline fuse though.

You can even hook it directly to the high beam wires for the same effect :wink:

Oh, and seal it with some silicone just to make sure it won't die on you if it gets wet.
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

You see,easy peazie....

Thanks DC.
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    You see,easy peazie....

Thanks DC.
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post
    Most remotes run on 12V so you can wire it directly to the bike... the flash button will most likely give a negative signal, so remove the battery out of the remote, hook the remote's negative terminal to the flash button and the remote's positive to any 12V positive on the bike... use an inline fuse though.

You can even hook it directly to the high beam wires for the same effect :wink:

Oh, and seal it with some silicone just to make sure it won't die on you if it gets wet.
    Question: Yep they all work at 12 Volts, but wont a bike battery kick out many more Amps than the little 12volt battery that its supplied with and could blow the unit/remote? Shouldnt there be some sort of a resister and fuse between the positive terminal of battery and remote?

Plus while a bike is running, isnt alternating current getting pumped into it to charge the battery via the stator? Isnt Only direct current is used to turn the starter motor?

Im no pro, just ironing out any confusion

Bike
    Upgrade Pending
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
    Question: Yep they all work at 12 Volts, but wont a bike battery kick out many more Amps than the little 12volt battery that its supplied with and could blow the unit/remote? Shouldnt there be some sort of a resister and fuse between the positive terminal of battery and remote?

Plus while a bike is running, isnt alternating current getting pumped into it to charge the battery via the stator? Isnt Only direct current is used to turn the starter motor?
    Correct, you should fit some sort of resistor to control Amperage (I think, if I remember the basics of electronics correctly)
    FORGET ABOUT WORLD PEACE...VISUALIZE USING YOUR TURN SIGNAL.

Bike
    BMW GS 1200 ,Yamaha XS 1100 Project Cafe Racer, 1966 Triumph Tiger100 Cafe Racer
    Region
    Western Cape

Smile

So if I hook it up directly to the high beam wires could I place it inside the headlamp housing. So as I flash current will pass through and activate the gate.
    Thanks for all the advise so far.
    WOULD I DO IT ALL AGAIN DIFFERENTLY?...HELL NO!

Bike
    Upgrade Pending
    Region
    Gauteng

I guess that could work Charlie, I would also suggest talking to the guys at Yebo Electronics or Zakspeed for circuit protection bits and bobs.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Wink

Nah, don't worry. The device only consumes the current it requires to drive the circuitry. :wink: I do recommend an inline fuse for protection if something goes wrong.

Your bike voltage may go as high as 14.5V whilst charging, shouldn't be a problem though. Your new battery is also not at 12V when it's new, could be 12.5V :wink:

As for the AC/DC issue, the only AC circuit is from your stator, which is a 3 phase AC system. After the rectumfrier and regulator it is DC and the voltage is stabilised. You may get some "noise" on the power lines, at that you will see as an AC component superimposed on the DC line.

The biggest danger of hooking to the headlight is back EMF when you switch the headlight off. There could be a surge (reverse) which could hurt the remote, but the remote will most likely have a diode for protection so it should be okay. A vehicle is an extremely noisy environment.

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Region
    Western Cape

Cool man, thanks for the info. Goes into my library of knowledge when I hook one up in the future, but I would have to hook it up to my hooter as I have on high beam flasher on my Busa

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Correct, you should fit some sort of resistor to control Amperage (I think, if I remember the basics of electronics correctly)
    Why? What resistors are the dash using? What resistors is the ECU using?

Devices only consume the power they require to operate. Only in a fault condition will they draw more and then smoke ... and that's why we use fuses, to protect the wiring and the components.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Cool man, thanks for the info. Goes into my library of knowledge when I hook one up in the future, but I would have to hook it up to my hooter as I have on high beam flasher on my Busa

Getting home at 3am will have your neighbours throwing you with their slippers

Bike
    Upgrade Pending
    Region
    Gauteng

Why? What resistors are the dash using? What resistors is the ECU using?

Devices only consume the power they require to operate. Only in a fault condition will they draw more and then smoke ... and that's why we use fuses, to protect the wiring and the components.
    Kewl, my knowledge of electrical and electronic bits is a bit suspect. I do however always go for overkill when it comes to protection of things. But so we learn. Thanks for the info DC, now me knows aswell.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Kewl, my knowledge of electrical and electronic bits is a bit suspect. I do however always go for overkill when it comes to protection of things. But so we learn. Thanks for the info DC, now me knows aswell.
    Over engineering is good, it's a good attitude to have

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Region
    Western Cape

Getting home at 3am will have your neighbours throwing you with their slippers
    He he!! Ok ok, I'll rather hookup another waterproof button

King Kong Brass Cahoonas Unchained's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800, Buell XB12R, Motomia Cappuccino
    Region
    Western Cape

12V is 12V, the actual current in Amp is determined by the load (if the source can supply it), thus a bigger battery cannot force a greater current through a fixed load (resistance).

This is all perfectly described by Ohm's law: V = I x R, or in this case: I = V / R

V - Voltage
    I - Current in Amps
    R - Resistance in Ohm

Minor variations in values are generally not an issue, in the olden days resistors were manufactured with a tolerance of 20%.

Hope this helps
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss myelin the most!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Talking

Very good reminder there Unchained... Ohm's Law is very important.

Folks, also keep in mind that all electronic devices are manufactured with smoke which is entrapped inside the little components. Should the smoke escape, which is normally visible, then the device is ISM cos you won't be able to get the smoke back inside it to make it work again :wink:

King Kong Brass Cahoonas Unchained's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800, Buell XB12R, Motomia Cappuccino
    Region
    Western Cape

Folks, also keep in mind that all electronic devices are manufactured with smoke which is entrapped inside the little components. Should the smoke escape, which is normally visible, then the device is ISM cos you won't be able to get the smoke back inside it to make it work again :wink:
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss myelin the most!

Bike
    Upgrade Pending
    Region
    Gauteng

It happens...but some of them magic smoke boxes cost a bloody fortune