Thread: The right bike for the license test

Bike
    Kawasaki ER-6f, CBR600RR
    Region
    Western Cape

Default The right bike for the license test

Good day all.

I'm newish to the forum and I recently passed my full license and was really surprised to see the bikes that people attempt to pass the test on. In my group I we had a guy on a fzr 400 who kept stalling and just couldn't take the corners slowly and failed and another guy on a 1200 GS who passed with flying colors.

I found it interesting and am sure some of you have strong feelings about what is easiest.
    Born to DIVE forced to WORK.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    BWM R 1150 RT
    Region
    Gauteng

I did my test yesterday on a R 850 and passed no problems.
    If the guy on a 400 could not handle the bike, he either was not ready, or
    it was not his bike and was not familiar with it.
    Some bike training places give you a bike to do the test on, as they say it
    make it easier for the test to have a smaller bike.
    Dennis (ZX-Max) who did my training with me says you must go on your own
    bike as you understand it much more than a loaned bike.
    I agree.

Anyway, welcom to the forum, now become a member.

See you on the road and ride safe.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I'll say this once and very clearly - about the only bike that's really not suitable for the test is a stretched and raked chopper, one with about 8in over forks and a long wheelbase. Simply because it's too long to get around the bends. Second to this would be something like an 1800 Gold Wing. Not because it can't make the turns, but because all the plastic in the way of your vision will make it a bit tricky to judge certain turns and space in some manouvers. Tricky, but not impossible.

Just about everything else will do the test easily. If you have a decent basic level of machine control, know your machine, know what's expected of you and practice- then you'll pass. I've had three guys with Harley Softails (one custom job, a Road King & a Heritage bagger) all pass first time.

Use your own bike, get training and practice. Don't use a loan bike you've never ridden before the test. If you can't complete the basic manouvers on your own bike then your problem is bigger than a K53 test.

That's this instructor's opinion.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    ZX10R 2008
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by banditman View Post
    i'll say this once and very clearly - about the only bike that's really not suitable for the test is a stretched and raked chopper, one with about 8in over forks and a long wheelbase. Simply because it's too long to get around the bends. Second to this would be something like an 1800 gold wing. Not because it can't make the turns, but because all the plastic in the way of your vision will make it a bit tricky to judge certain turns and space in some manouvers. Tricky, but not impossible.

Just about everything else will do the test easily. If you have a decent basic level of machine control, know your machine, know what's expected of you and practice- then you'll pass. I've had three guys with harley softails (one custom job, a road king & a heritage bagger) all pass first time.

Use your own bike, get training and practice. Don't use a loan bike you've never ridden before the test. If you can't complete the basic manouvers on your own bike then your problem is bigger than a k53 test.

That's this instructor's opinion.

+10 000
    There is a time and a place for everything. Lets go out and ride to see another day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    Bandit 1200/2xDR650SE/GSR600
    Region
    Western Cape

I went for my test in 1981...sure a lot easier than now.
    The bike...Honda 750K0...
    Not sure what you have to still do now, but for the peeps...good advice..
    A naked bike, seating up-right and make sure of your balance and control of the bike.
    I feel that a superbike with the lean forward position may also be difficult to take around tight spots.....

Doesn't suffer fools gladly n3cr0's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1300R, Honda CBR 900 Fireblade, GSX-R750 L1
    Region
    Gauteng

I went for mine on my Blade, those of you who have seen me will know that when on the Blade my feet cant touch the ground.

I also believe that you should take your own bike.
    With a twist of my wrist I cease to be human and become a god of thunder, speed and terror.

Bike
    Kawasaki ER-6f, CBR600RR
    Region
    Western Cape

I did start off on my own bike ( at the time a cheap and nasty Chinese 200 scrambler).... but unfortunately failed before the test really got started because the night light at the back was not working. Once I got home and finished cursing I opened the back up to change the bulb and actually found the wrong bulb in the brake light. Instead of the normal 2 filament globe there was a single filament one there !!!!!! I had never changed that globe since buying the bike new??????

Any way.... I re-booked and passed easily with almost no deductions on a school bike.

Moral of the story MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS!
    Born to DIVE forced to WORK.

Bike
    1987 - FJ1200 "Edwina"
    Region
    Gauteng

I'd say the most important consideration is that it's a bike you are familiar with. I stand open to correction here, but I do believe Sleepy got her full licence on her Harley ...

I did my licence back in 1983 with my CB400F Supersport. She had a really loud Dunstal Decibel "Silencer" on, so it's just as well I didn't have to start her. I passed the theory test, and the examiner asked what other licenses I had. I told him I got my 50cc licence in 1978, and my car licence in 1980. He said he figured I ought to be fine on a big bike, and signed my papers !

It was much easier in the old days, before K53 !
    In retrospect, the future looks quite promising ...

Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

I did the test twice. First time on my Hyosung 650. Did everything perfectly well. Messed up on the emergency braking/swerving part, and that only because the lights were too dim.

I got it 2nd time on a Bajaj. It was much easier, simply because the smaller size made it easier to handle, all round.

However, if you had been riding you gomma-gomma-on-two-wheels for yonks before attempting the test maybe you have a different story to tell...

Bike
    "Its complicated"
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Im going to do mine soon and Doofdoof will be perfect. I won a slow race on her before. Hurt the clutch a bit but it was fun
    Keep thy eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

Did mine on the SV 1000, no problems. She walked like a kitten around the track, almost lost no pionts. Only points I lost when I did the emergency braking, and, due to the supreme stopping power that it comes equipped with, the back wheel skidded a bit. No other problems.
    I love the RUMBLING EARTHSHATTERING sound of my V-TWIN!!!!!

Bike
    GSX R-1000 K2
    Region
    Gauteng

Planning on doing mine tomorrow on my GSX R1000.... went for a lesson on Sunday and it went really well, didnt battle too much on such a big bike as one would think....but its really all up tomorrow i guess hey will let you know if i passed or not

Bike
    "Its complicated"
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Zuke750 View Post
    Planning on doing mine tomorrow on my GSX R1000.... went for a lesson on Sunday and it went really well, didnt battle too much on such a big bike as one would think....but its really all up tomorrow i guess hey will let you know if i passed or not

Good luck!
    Keep thy eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.

Bike
    97 TL1000S Rebuild
    Region
    Gauteng

Did mine on my TL1000S with no problems!

The bike your comfortable with is the one to take to the test!

Bike
    Harley Sportster 883L, FZ6R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by smotter View Post
    I'd say the most important consideration is that it's a bike you are familiar with. I stand open to correction here, but I do believe Sleepy got her full licence on her Harley ...
    Smotter, you are perfectly correct - I certainly did. Although I do think the poor guy was soooo gobsmacked by the fact that I really did intend to do the test on her, that he spent more time watching me wrestle her onto the T than actually watching me doing the test. Still, that day, I passed, so did a youngster on his dad's Busa - BUT all the guys who went on their trainers little 250cc something or other failed!!! Can you imagine their faces when this little girl on a big HD actually passed .....

My instructor told me to do the test on a bike I know and use! That was the HD - and his advice worked!

Bike
    ER6F
    Region
    Gauteng

Got my full licence on my Virago 535 - if you comfortable then use your own...if you not then try get a smaller cc bike - I know some riding schools will rent out their 250cc's for licence bookings
    www.paws4us.co.za

"Sometimes divine revelation simply means adjusting your brain to hear what your heart already knows" - Angels & Demons: Dan Brown

Bike
    ZX10 - Deceased
    Region
    Gauteng

I had not ridden before doing my test.
    I borrowed a friend's Yamaha TW200 and practised for one day.
    Easy as pie. Easy to turn, low on power, big back wheel etc.