View Poll Results: Do you give cash to the carguard?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - he is providing me with a service

34 42.50%
  • Yes, but only cause he scares me

2 2.50%
  • No, I have eyes, I can see the parking bay, I know how to drive

25 31.25%
  • No - I pay for parking here, for security, car has alarm, immobiliser, panic button.

19 23.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car guards - do you tip?

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja ZZR-1100
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Car guards - do you tip?

So you arrive at a shopping mall, drive in, see a parking spot and turn in - but hang on - theres a guy showing you where the spot is that you saw from 200m away!!

Ok, so you go off, do your business, pay for parking, come back and climb into your car.... strange, now this guy is behind you, showing you how to reverse your car!

Ok - answer me this - do you tip the guy, for showing you where the parking spot is that you had already seen, or for showing you how to reverse, even though you were watching everywhere EXCEPT him, because he was guiding you into the car behind you??

Are car guards really needed??

Bike
    Soon
    Region
    Gauteng

I feel like i am being harrased after going to get some things at a shopping centre. The impression i get is that they want to rummage through your stuff. They cause more of a distraction while reversing.

On a good day, I would not offer cash, I would sooner offer foodstuff, too bad if you dont like it.

What also scares the crap out of me is that they work together with these CARKING FUNTS who follow you home and rob you.

I an not too keen on CARGUARDS !!!

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

That is not the point of the car guards, they probably just do that as an added service. I see their main function as increasing movement and extra eyes roaming the parking lots. Plus, they remember those that do tip and will look after your vehicle in terms of damage etc. My mother goes to the same shopping centre all the time and all the car guards know her and help her with her packets. They even took down the registration of the nice person who scratched her car and just drove off without leaving a note. I have long chats to the guys that look after my bike and they kind of stay close to the bike making sure it's safe. So shockingly, being nice actually has a knock-on effect!
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng

At the local store I made "friends" with them okes from DRC, they are good guys trying to improve their lives and are working. They could be elsewhere doing something else.

I don't think they get salaries, they rely on tips, so yeah, I tip them. They know me and my vehicles, only once had a problem with the bike, so i never tipped them for about 2 months and they knew why... peace has been made so we're cool now

I do feel sorry for them, but they are trying... in the sun, in the cold, in the rain... they have a kark job.
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    I gave the vuka back
    Region
    Gauteng

These guy haveto pay the company they work for like R40 rand a day to stand there. nice hey.

so don't tip them but don't complain when somone breaks and or steals ur bike or cage. its not like those guys do anything.

Civility dont cost you a cent, and its not like R2 will break your bank.
    Nothing is ever easy..... except the complaining, the complaining is pretty easy

Bike
    harley street rod, triumph daytona 955i ,triumph speed tripple 1050&955i
    Region
    Gauteng

no i dont tip

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD, Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Honda CBR600 F4, Suzuki GSXR400 GK76
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

As far as im concerned, we all trying to make an honest living...I would rather pay a car guard or even a petrol attendant a couple of bucks when they do their job, than have another person who cant make money, resort to crime!
    Yes they DO get in your way when reversing, and YES THEY DO point out obvious parking spots, BUT, MORE EYES ON YOUR CAGE/BIKE, THE MORE OF A DETERRENT IT IS! Like previously posted, R2 wont break the piggy bank, and yes it does add up at the end of the month, but hey whats the most you gonna spend on a car guard in a month, R50? Thats R2 25 Times a month....COME ON GUYS, THATS LIKE HAVING 3 BEERS!!!! (depending on what you drink)
    I would rather sacrifice 3 beers a month and create a job and have less crime, than have my bike or car stolen and pay in the excess just cause i was too stingy to help the guys out a little!

Thats my 2 cents :wink:
    https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/signaturepics/sigpic3339_4.gif

Find us at https://underdogz.freeforums.org , and stay in contact with us

Bike
    Kawasaki Z1000
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Johagimm View Post
    These guy haveto pay the company they work for like R40 rand a day to stand there. nice hey.

so don't tip them but don't complain when somone breaks and or steals ur bike or cage. its not like those guys do anything.

That's why I pay my taxes so that the police can stop idiots breaking into my car, thus I have the right to complain if and when they do!

These people are a menace as far as I'm concerned. They provide no service but to harass individuals. It's easy money for the pickings.

I'm sure a sales man will counter the statement about breaking the bank. Imagine you're visiting X clients per day and each time have to fork out R2...
    I'm not saying its a competition per se... I'm just saying that I'm WINNING!

Bike
    The BAT - Badly abused twister
    Region
    Gauteng

It depends on the situation, outside a Spar where I know they coin it, and ive parked for 2 minutes.. No.
    But in a parking lot where the guys turn-over is much lower I will tip generously.
    For car guards like any other business..its all about location, I try help ou the guys who have the worse spots.

Bike
    EX Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
    Region
    Gauteng

These guys irritate me
    I do occasionally give to some of them but it is only if I feel they did something worth my while.
    Most of them only check that you are getting in your car so they can hassle you for money and I hate it when one of them tries to show me how to reverse my car out of the parking.
    Those who lead sometimes falls first.
    None of above comments against non Honda motor cycles is to be taken as serious
    I’m sure there is one or two other makes on the road that has a decent bike out there
    (Hell there might even be a good BMW out there somewhere)

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
    That's why I pay my taxes so that the police can stop idiots breaking into my car, thus I have the right to complain if and when they do!
    And this has worked how well up to now?

That is the beauty of a free and capitalist society. Where there is a gap to be filled, somebody will fill it any way they can. I'd rather give the car guard some money for just walking around than the chap on the corner with pirated DVDs.
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Evil Biker Scum
    State of Sexual Transition because Brendon loves me
    Bike
    Vuka EL90 Monster Hog
    Region
    Northern Cape

I only tip if I am parking for a long period, ie, half hour or more, if I am just popping in and out, drop off etc then no, I dont tip

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Most times yes, but not for short stays!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    2010 BMW R1200GS Adv
    Region
    Northern Cape

It depends on who it is and where I am. We have our regulars at the wimpt that always get a little something. But don't expect me to tip someone in an underground parking where I already pay for parking!
    Last edited by Eend; 28-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Bike
    "Its complicated"
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Johagimm View Post

Eish these two randzez they ad up!
    Keep thy eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.

Bike
    "Its complicated"
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by ianmp View Post
    posted Via Mobile Device
    Fail!
    Keep thy eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.

Bike
    "Its complicated"
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Hover Ho' View Post
    And this has worked how well up to now?

That is the beauty of a free and capitalist society. Where there is a gap to be filled, somebody will fill it any way they can. I'd rather give the car guard some money for just walking around than the chap on the corner with pirated DVDs.

Agree with Chavez. Our tax should be worth something. If we keep filling the gaps with our own money where will it end?

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja ZZR-1100
    Region
    Western Cape

But why pay the car guards in a parking garage, through the booms, with video cameras around, as well as security guards doing the rounds?

I'm more than happy to pay the guy who watches my car on Long street, at night... but people who hover around cAnal walk.... thats another q.

Bike
    2010 BMW R1200GS Adv
    Region
    Northern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Scobs View Post
    Fail!
    Ja man - sorry - still trying to get used to the mobile site!!

Something that does pee me off is when you give them something and then they look at you in as if to say - only 5 bucks!!!!! Sorry bru - that's the last you gte from me!
    It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only takes 4 to extend your arm and slap that moegoe in the head!

Bike
    Zook gs500e 93/ projek 03 gs500e / high speed crutches
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

well i dont normally tip them , as i dont park in a parking on the bike
    (pavement)
    but back when i was riding all the time and i used to go down to the horrorspital for meds , i would always park in the same spot and get the same guy too look after the bike, and tip him about R5

Boy was i glad that i did the day i came out and he was having an argument with one guy who wanted to move his wifes car , then i realised that if the guy looks honest and has his regulars they deffo watch your car/bike
    sadly he moved on to another job/spot cause he is no longer there.

some of these guys are honestly just trying to not steal or beg but provide a service.
    If i have to buy a car here it is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F...2.80.931979.29 -
    Now all ye who try kill us remeber this.