Thread: Twister Owners

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_wizard View Post
    Hi,

Just bought a Honda twister that seems in good nick for the age and price. Paid R18600. Few scratches but does not show any signs of being in an accident. The clock says 21500km.

I tested the bike in town and it seemed fine. But when I took her on the highway after buying it I could only get 123km/h on a gps (140 on clocks) on downhills.

I thought it was the air filter but on closer inspection I realized that someone took the original carburetor off and replaced it with a smaller one. No idea why they would do it.

So I am looking for a secondhand carburetor for a Honda twister.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is a neat looking twister, what top speed were you expecting to get? I havnt taken mine on a highway in a couple months but from what I remember around 140 on the clock was the most I could get on a flat Road, anything past that just felt like I was gona hurt the bike, then again I'm not a very aggressive rider.

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting (Honda cbx twister)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Tickled_Tortise View Post
    That is a neat looking twister, what top speed were you expecting to get? I havnt taken mine on a highway in a couple months but from what I remember around 140 on the clock was the most I could get on a flat Road, anything past that just felt like I was gona hurt the bike, then again I'm not a very aggressive rider.
    Hi. Standard the bike does 145km/h true speed. 160 on the clocks. If you remove the snorkels from the air box under the seat she easily gets it.

This one struggle to do 130km/h (on the clocks) on a straight and just touches 140 km/h (123 on gps) on a long downhill. It struggles to keep up with the slower cars on the highway.

Lurker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Twister Owners

This is a picture of where the carburetor connects to the air box. See how the pipe bulges out as it is over squeezed as the carburetors is too small for the pipe.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Gauteng

This is a picture of where the carburetor connects to the air box. See how the pipe bulges out as it is over squeezed as the carburetors is too small for the pipe.

I see, that pipe is definitely too big for the carb. It shouldn't be too difficult to find an original carb.

Lurker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I see, that pipe is definitely too big for the carb. It shouldn't be too difficult to find an original carb.
    Yes. Got a carb today. Cleaned it and took the bike on the road. She pulled loads better and got 150 on the clocks on a straight. Then she started to sputter and misfire. Got home and it looks like the needle in the float does not seal properly. If you open the petcock the petrol flows out of the carburetor on the overflow for a few seconds the trips and then stops. So I recon when I ride the level goes too high and the bike floods.

Then I got a new surprise. Bike was idling fine. Used the kill switch, then wanted to start her again to see that she starts. Then everything went dead. No power. Battery is fine and all the fuses that I know is fine. If I press the starter button the sidestand light comes on. Apart from that all dead. Problem for tomorrow.

Below is pictures of the old carburetor it hand on and one that I got from another twister.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    You say that the bike had been dropped; one of the "weaknesses" of the Twister is that if you drop it one of the first things to get damaged is the instrument cluster. (see previous threads on the forum). If the bike has aftermarket bars on then the possibility exists that the instrument cluster was damaged and replaced with one showing less km...

However, if the motor has be done and everything else is in shipshape it may well be worth buying.
    From the looks of it, it may just have fallen over, no other visible damage or scratches anywhere on the bike. Have not settled on taking it but judging by the second hand market at the moment, its not likely il find anything better in my budget besides Chinese rubbish which im trying to steer clear from. Been battling to sell my Bajaj since November with little to no interest in it.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Gauteng

Yes. Got a carb today. Cleaned it and took the bike on the road. She pulled loads better and got 150 on the clocks on a straight. Then she started to sputter and misfire. Got home and it looks like the needle in the float does not seal properly. If you open the petcock the petrol flows out of the carburetor on the overflow for a few seconds the trips and then stops. So I recon when I ride the level goes too high and the bike floods.

Then I got a new surprise. Bike was idling fine. Used the kill switch, then wanted to start her again to see that she starts. Then everything went dead. No power. Battery is fine and all the fuses that I know is fine. If I press the starter button the sidestand light comes on. Apart from that all dead. Problem for tomorrow.

Below is pictures of the old carburetor it hand on and one that I got from another twister.

If everything else is fine maybe check if the kill switch is disengaging properly. Could just be the contact in the switch. Happy problem solving.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Terence1983 View Post
    From the looks of it, it may just have fallen over, no other visible damage or scratches anywhere on the bike. Have not settled on taking it but judging by the second hand market at the moment, its not likely il find anything better in my budget besides Chinese rubbish which im trying to steer clear from. Been battling to sell my Bajaj since November with little to no interest in it.
    It will sell for the right price, I moved from a gomoto to my twister and I only got 10k for it, not complaining just glad it's gone, only had 4k km and gave me endless issues.

Lurker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

If everything else is fine maybe check if the kill switch is disengaging properly. Could just be the contact in the switch. Happy problem solving.
    Found the problem. The battery gave in. Voltmeter reads 12.68v on battery and 0.9v when you switch the ignition on. Jumped the bike with a car battery and it starts no problems.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Gauteng

Found the problem. The battery gave in. Voltmeter reads 12.68v on battery and 0.9v when you switch the ignition on. Jumped the bike with a car battery and it starts no problems.
    I know the voltage should drop when the ignition is turned on, but not below 11.5v so did jumping it fix the problem I would think a new battery is needed.

Lurker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I know the voltage should drop when the ignition is turned on, but not below 11.5v so did jumping it fix the problem I would think a new battery is needed.
    It started right away when I jumped it. But the moment I took the cables off the lights dimmed and flickered. A friend mentioned to me that if the battery is not functioning right on this bike the charging system does not work right.

Getting a new battery in the week. Will also then test the new carburetor and see the difference in power against the smaller one.

I did put the battery on a charger for 4 hours. Then hooked up a 21w light bulb. Even with such a small bulb (indicator light) the voltage dropped from 12.6v to 5.4v. So it seems to be the battery.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Have to jump in here...

With the exception of the now long dead thread : Halfway Cuppa, this thread is just the best thing on this forum.

It just keeps giving and going and giving.

Well done Twister Owners! 5 Star Rating Awarded!
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Hey guys, nice looking bike, good you're making progress...
    I found rust in my tank, I've had it for about 15 000 kays and I know the previous owner had it standing exposed for a bit, serviced the carb and fuel filter about 4000 kays back, everything looked fine and when I filled about 3 weeks ago I didn't notice any rust, so it got bad recently

The bottom half is covered with surface rust, Fuel filter dirty and will strip the carb. I'll clean with vinegar, how do I go about sealing it inside, some forums mention a ceramic coating which is apparently expensive, second hand tank, or slosh a rust deoxidizer inside and let it dry. any advice?

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Ja stripped the bike and noticed older rust inside the top of the tank, all over, noticed spots of rust in and around the rubber seal when i removed the fuel float from under the tank, the rubber seal also has some cracks so moisture has gotten in that tank from neglect from the previous owner I reckon, I appreciate any advice, thanks

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Wicked wizard did you sort your bike out? Mine looks identical to yours, I had a red 2005 with silver rims which I sold but switched the silver rims to my silver 2008, which had charcoal rims, makes the bike pop. O I sorted my rusty tank with Powafix de ruster, just need to keep an eye on it.

Lurker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Twister Owners

Quote Originally Posted by frontfeebs View Post
    Wicked wizard did you sort your bike out? Mine looks identical to yours, I had a red 2005 with silver rims which I sold but switched the silver rims to my silver 2008, which had charcoal rims, makes the bike pop. O I sorted my rusty tank with Powafix de ruster, just need to keep an eye on it.
    The electric is sorted and I did put a carburetor on that is the model the bike needs. But I have problems with the bike bogging down at different speeds and intermittently. There seems to be different issues working together. I have located two errors and the bike is far better. One was that the small air cut off valve on the side of the carburetor had a leak. I temporarily patched it with silicone. When that diaphragm has a hole in, it sucks petrol directly from the float bowl up and enriches the mixture to the point that the bike stalls.

The second problem was harder to spot. The mixture was constantly rich even though the needle checked out fine. When I did measure the float level it was too high. I ended up buying a new needle from Honda, at over R300. Only when I put the old and new needle next to each other did I spot the difference. Someone had replaced the needle with one that was 0.42mm shorter. That tiny difference caused the float to ride too high.

The gas tank cap breather hole was also blocked and I cleaned that out. That could cause the bike to lean out and cause what is called detonation. Meaning the mixture in the engine does not combust evenly. I had turned the idle mixture screw out 1/4 turn to richen the mixture (it controls petrol not air on this carburetor) and it has helped.

As for performance. The old carburetor got 130 on the straight and 140 downhill. With the new carb when I she does not give crap she pulls 150 on a straight with me sitting upright.

The pin is not pushed in from a weak spring. That is its length. So the needle looks the same, but the spring pin is shorter.

Note that I did remove the two snorkels attached to the air box that is located under the seat.

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

"It just keeps giving and going and giving"... Just like our faithful Twisters. yes, they give us niggles at times, just like anything else, but we love them.

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

The electric is sorted and I did put a carburetor on that is the model the bike needs. But I have problems with the bike bogging down at different speeds and intermittently. There seems to be different issues working together. I have located two errors and the bike is far better. One was that the small air cut off valve on the side of the carburetor had a leak. I temporarily patched it with silicone. When that diaphragm has a hole in, it sucks petrol directly from the float bowl up and enriches the mixture to the point that the bike stalls.

The second problem was harder to spot. The mixture was constantly rich even though the needle checked out fine. When I did measure the float level it was too high. I ended up buying a new needle from Honda, at over R300. Only when I put the old and new needle next to each other did I spot the difference. Someone had replaced the needle with one that was 0.42mm shorter. That tiny difference caused the float to ride too high.

The gas tank cap breather hole was also blocked and I cleaned that out. That could cause the bike to lean out and cause what is called detonation. Meaning the mixture in the engine does not combust evenly. I had turned the idle mixture screw out 1/4 turn to richen the mixture (it controls petrol not air on this carburetor) and it has helped.

As for performance. The old carburetor got 130 on the straight and 140 downhill. With the new carb when I she does not give crap she pulls 150 on a straight with me sitting upright.

The pin is not pushed in from a weak spring. That is its length. So the needle looks the same, but the spring pin is shorter.

Note that I did remove the two snorkels attached to the air box that is located under the seat.

You seem to know your way around a bike, so I'm sure you'll get her perfect. I had some small issues with mine when I got it as the previous owner had it standing exposed a while, but mileage was low and it was clean, making progress... Good luck

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone have a twister for sale or know of one for sale in the joburg area?
    Looking at buying one for my daily commute from Alberton to Roodepoort.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Officially a Twister owner at long last. Been searching high and low for one.

A little rough around the edges, was unfortunately an ex delivery bike from a company which closed down and the bike ended up standing for a while, bought it from Michael at Randburg motorcyles.

Bike has 29700km on the clock (Clocks don't seem to have been changed, the wear matches the rest of the bike OL). They had to change the timing chain and tensioner due to weird timing misfire, did a full service, fork service and changed the front tyre.

Used it from alberton to roodepoort this morning, rode smoothly, thought keeping the screen would be good for the winter but at anything above 110 it gets a bit scary LOL, had it up to 130 but backed of quickly, screen will be coming off this afternoon LOL.

10/10 so far, taking it very easy it was still a much faster commute than my prev Yammie SR 250 or Bajaj 180 pulsar. Definitely happy with my choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images