Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT AND YOU!!

Bike
    Ruby - Honda CBX (on loan to a friend) & Ruin - NC750XDCT -Automatic
    Region
    Gauteng

Friend of mine was fetched at his home for outstanding fines amounting to about R4500. He went to court and the peeps there keeps telling him that he will have to pay it all in one go or go to jail. Now he has not been infront of the judge yet, so is this true? Will he have to pay the whole out standing amount there and then or will they give him a payment plan?

Him not the richest and can't afford to pay in one go

Up the Irons!!!
    Born to Ride, Ride to Live!
    No Love Lost, No Love Found!!

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Cronos
    Friend of mine was fetched at his home for outstanding fines amounting to about R4500. He went to court and the peeps there keeps telling him that he will have to pay it all in one go or go to jail. Now he has not been infront of the judge yet, so is this true? Will he have to pay the whole out standing amount there and then or will they give him a payment plan?

Him not the richest and can't afford to pay in one go
    When they fetch him at home he was very naughty, (see amount)
    He can go to the clerk of the court and make arrangements, Most times they hardass but eventually they give in

Bike
    EX Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
    Region
    Gauteng

One question

If you get pulled over while giving someone a lift and you only have a learner?s license how strict are they with the fine
    (Please note the pillion is wearing ATGAT and helmet and bike is fully road worthy)

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus
    One question

If you get pulled over while giving someone a lift and you only have a learner?s license how strict are they with the fine
    (Please note the pillion is wearing ATGAT and helmet and bike is fully road worthy)
    Please dont expect mercy if you are caught you could end up in court and then you will see that the road traffic act is not an act!
    jokes aside you will be in kark insurance wont cover you etc, but i say and this is only what i say, BE NICE and when he does not respond to you by letting you off BE NICE again I always let nice guys go in the 18 years i was KK.
    Explain how difficult it is to obtain a booking for a licence obtaining the licence is easy but DAMN THE CALL CENTRE.

Maybe a rally of bikes organise a Legal run to Minister J Radebe at transport dept in Pretoria.......????? Why cant we get the bookings, call centre is a waist of time :evil:

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple R
    Region
    Gauteng

I moved to JHB from CPT a few months ago so I'm still running CA plates on all my vehicles. What's the law on this? I keep getting told that it's illegal to do so. My licenses expire in June next year so I don't feel like coughing up however much it is just so I can get GP plates (not to mention that they wouldn't let me register my bike in JHB when I tried).

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Cairbre
    I moved to JHB from CPT a few months ago so I'm still running CA plates on all my vehicles. What's the law on this? I keep getting told that it's illegal to do so. My licenses expire in June next year so I don't feel like coughing up however much it is just so I can get GP plates (not to mention that they wouldn't let me register my bike in JHB when I tried).
    I have been in Pretoria for three years and still running on CA plates i go to Cape Town and renew it every year or let one of my family members do it for me with copy of my id an affidavit and registration papers

commuting motorcyclist Richardvz's Avatar
    Bike
    The G for the S of the 650 kind
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Bribes

I was riding near the old Randburg Waterfront down one of the side roads. I was well within the speed limit. Suddenly a Metro Man jumps out and pulls me over. I stopped and was very nice to her. Took off my doppie (to open channels of communication). She claimed I was speeding. I asked to see the speed I was doing on her device...(I saw no speed trapping equipment anywhere) She then changed her tune very quickly, saying that most motorcyclists aren't licenced, and she just wanted to check my license. I produced it. I was licenced, so is my bike.

She then told me my disk had expired. Which I pointed out to her that it was not visible to her, how would she know (it is stuck to the underside of my seat.) I then showed her. She told me it must be visible to officers at all times. Then asked me for R50 to let me go. I told her to write the fine.

She left me to go on my way. I did - without paying her. Afterwards I got angry. I wanted to turn around and give her a piece of my mind. But thought better of it...

What should we do if we feel we are being asked for a bribe. Sometimes the questions they ask could be incriminating for me....they they charge me for trying to bribe them.... what is the best way of handling the situation?
    Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action.
    — Goethe

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Re: Bribes

Quote Originally Posted by Richardvz
    I was riding near the old Randburg Waterfront down one of the side roads. I was well within the speed limit. Suddenly a Metro Man jumps out and pulls me over. I stopped and was very nice to her. Took off my doppie (to open channels of communication). She claimed I was speeding. I asked to see the speed I was doing on her device...(I saw no speed trapping equipment anywhere) She then changed her tune very quickly, saying that most motorcyclists aren't licenced, and she just wanted to check my license. I produced it. I was licenced, so is my bike.

She then told me my disk had expired. Which I pointed out to her that it was not visible to her, how would she know (it is stuck to the underside of my seat.) I then showed her. She told me it must be visible to officers at all times. Then asked me for R50 to let me go. I told her to write the fine.

She left me to go on my way. I did - without paying her. Afterwards I got angry. I wanted to turn around and give her a piece of my mind. But thought better of it...

What should we do if we feel we are being asked for a bribe. Sometimes the questions they ask could be incriminating for me....they they charge me for trying to bribe them.... what is the best way of handling the situation?
    give them the bird!!
    beat them up!!
    Tell them to go fly a kite!!
    but if you do not have the knowledge i have, try to get to the station commander of the area and report them

Bike
    FJ-ACE1200 "Gudrun" + Ring-ding-ding
    Region
    Gauteng

RB, is it legal for them to send a ticket with two vehicles side by side?

Tuning forks Roolz for eva (even if written in Kanji)

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    RB, is it legal for them to send a ticket with two vehicles side by side?
    I will have to get back to you regarding this one, My thoughts dont count, it is the law that knows therefore i will contact you as soon as i have the facts

Bike
    Fzr250R/Fzr400dead 4 now
    Region
    Western Cape

HI RB, is it legal to park my bike on the pavement outside my house?. I've been fined twice and on both occasions had the fine squashed. My prob is the guy across the road always parks his bike on the pavement(day and night) and has never had a problem with fines.
    *IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM ARRANGE TO HAVE THEM BEATEN

* DON'T STEAL CAUSE THE GOVERNMENT DOES'NT LIKE COMPETITION

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R 750
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk
    HI RB, is it legal to park my bike on the pavement outside my house?. I've been fined twice and on both occasions had the fine squashed. My prob is the guy across the road always parks his bike on the pavement(day and night) and has never had a problem with fines.
    So go park next to him
    2 Wheels And A Long Way To Go, Expand My Mind, Feed My Soul, put The Fun Between My Legs and GO GO GO!!!

Bike
    Fzr250R/Fzr400dead 4 now
    Region
    Western Cape

Bump!
    *IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM ARRANGE TO HAVE THEM BEATEN

* DON'T STEAL CAUSE THE GOVERNMENT DOES'NT LIKE COMPETITION

Bike
    honda, Kawazaki, Yamaha
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk
    Bump!
    The pavement is the improved part of the verge of the road used exclusively for the right of pedestrians, you can stop on a pavement to open the gate, but you may not park there!

Bike
    Zook gs500e 93/ projek 03 gs500e / high speed crutches
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

The pavement is the improved part of the verge of the road used exclusively for the right of pedestrians, you can stop on a pavement to open the gate, but you may not park there!
    But does this not fall in the by laws of the relevant town , as i stay in durban and there is never enough parking and they have a bylaw where
    we can park on the pavement but there has to be sufficient space for a wheelcair to pass on the pavement, ( this i was told by a police man who was giving us a ticket for being parked on the pavement at the time , he he on quite a steep hill so i wouldent want to be in that wheel chair anyway )

Bike
    Kawasaki ER5 & ZZR400
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Speed traps

1) According to law, is it allowed to hide a speed trap behind a bush, tree, bridge or even throw camo over it? Is there a law that states they should be visible?

2) The same going for these traffic officers hiding and 2 meter in front of you deciding to jump out and stop you?

3) If a cop jumps out and try to stop me can I refuse to stop and drive on to a spot where I feel safe?

Biker
    Bike
    SUZUKI GSXR 750; SUZUKI AN125
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Do I belong there?

Hi, Runningbear!

When riding on the motorways I normally ride within the space between the vehicles using the middle lane and the far right lane (ie. if there are three lanes - "splitting lanes" is the term used I think). I'm led to believe that us bikers regard this as a "biker's lane". Are there any regulations regarding this practice by motorcyclists when travelling on the roads? Are motorcyclists required to ride behind motorcars? Does the "Road Traffic Act" make any allowances or lay down any rules for "lane splitting"?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    F650GS Dakar
    Region
    Gauteng

Default M1 and M2

The act addresses freeways but not motorways. Are bikes allowed to ride on the M1 and M2?

Biker
    Bike
    SUZUKI GSXR 750; SUZUKI AN125
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi, Village.

I used the term "motorways" as a kind of universal definition of any roadway. I'm not quite sure whether it's legal to ride on the M1 and M2 but I have ridden there. I've been seen by JMPD using both and they didn't cause a fuss. I think it's allowed and where there's a "no go" for us there are signs indicating to that fact. Please direct me to where I can read the act.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R 750
    Region
    Gauteng

I think RB ran for the hills
    2 Wheels And A Long Way To Go, Expand My Mind, Feed My Soul, put The Fun Between My Legs and GO GO GO!!!