Thread: Kyalami 7 May - Now with Ride Report :-(

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Kyalami 7 May - Now with Ride Report :-(

Anyone going to the afternoon track school tomorrow, 7 May at Kyalami?

Starts 1:00pm until 5.

So far:

• Tifosi
      Straightflush

Bike
    Billy-Bob & Tonto
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Buddy,

Please report back on the day. Would love to know how it went?

P.S. Why can you take half a day off for Kyalami but not for Zwartkops??? We're going on Wednesday - WAAAAY cheaper!!!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Blade has longer legs than Zwartkops. Still need to put on the 15 tooth sproket and bump up the rear to 44. Then we can talk!

But thanks for the heads-up. Is it morning or afternoon?

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

OK, so yesterday I went to Clinton Pienaar's track day at Kyalami.

This is my personal view of the day. It was a circus.

Things weren't set up early enough. Scrutineering was not done by 1pm when the track opened for the first A group riders.

This meant that I only got onto the track 10 mins into the first B group session, got one lap in and the chequered flag cam out! So I got two laps in the first session.

Then group C goes out (cars ) and at the end of the session one of the GTR's spins and puts antifreeze on turn 1. The track gets dusted with cement and the cars are sent out again to 'clean' it up.

By now the schedule is seriously running behind. There are supposed to be 4x20 min sessions for each of A, B and C group.

'A' group go out and come back in, and I go out for the second B group session, which was great! The tyres got warmed up and scrubbed and I got into a comfortable, quick, rythm.

After the session, me and my mates are hungry, so we go up to the kart track for a snack, safe in the knowledge that there is 40 mins until the next B group session. (According to the schedule.)

We see the cars go out, and then A group go out again (so we think we have have 20 mins to get back to the pits and suit up before going out again). We notice that there are lot of slower riders in A group this time. So we hussle back to the pits, only to find out that Clinton has decided to join group A and B for the session. :evil: (Might have been nice to announce that earlier. )

So by now it's halfway through the session. We go out again, and start lapping, only to have A group riders cutting up the inside and generally riding like plonkers around the 'slower' B group riders. So we get in 5 laps and get called back in. :evil:

Then the cars go out again.

Clinton then announces that the final session of the day will be cancelled because it's too close to 5pm and the cyclists use the track after that. :evil: :evil:

Then he changes his mind, brings the cars in a few mins early and gives the bikes another 10 mins just before 5.

So ja, it wasn't the best organised and managed track day I've been to.

I'm not an inflexible person, and I understand that things happen that mess with schedules, but to be honest the only guys that got value from yesterday were the cars. I got two half-sessions and 1 full session in for R490. For me, that's not good value. :roll:

Bike
    "Black Beauty" Daytona 955i, "MooseBob" CRF230F, "The Project" XL500S
    Region
    Gauteng

I've stopped going to Clinton's schools for pretty much the same reasons as you detailed. Lack of organisation (or rather the communication of changes to the schedule when they occur which they always do), as well as what I perceive to be a lack of discipline in the sessions. Always have plonkers coming up the inside, even in B-Group, sometimes followed by the bloody instructors!! This despite the riders briefing explicitly stating this is not to be done! I have also found that out of all the track schools I've attended these generally have the most "offs" and therefore the most delays & shortest sessions - 2 laps into the session some plonker goes splat cause he's too impatient to wait for the tyres to warm up, that's the end of the session by the time they've picked the bike up and got it back to the pits.

However, having said all of the above I must also say that the Triumph day he organised at Zwartkops was brilliant. Well organised & well run in conjunction with Alex from Holeshot, and only 1 off throughout the entire day. (C-Group rider on a 675 Daytona who got over exhuberant when moved up to B-Group...)

As I don't enjoy wasting my money & track time sitting around waiting for riders & bikes to be collected after they fall I now generally only do Dirk's and Dave & Arno's track schools.
    I was also a strong lad once, long ago........when 2 strokes ruled the world & Texan Plain meant something...........

Bike
    aproaching zimmerfram status
    Region
    Gauteng

I hear what trumpet is saying . having done two days in Feb @ Kyalami , I will be hard pressed to go back to the SABA days again . Every session is called in due to falls ( A class but mainly B ) . There is an attitude of lets race each other at the schools .

Tifosi > sorry to hear that you got so little track time , but , I am happy that you were not one of the fall downs ....
    Life is to short not to live fast

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by craig h
    Tifosi > sorry to hear that you got so little track time , but , I am happy that you were not one of the fall downs ....
    Surprisingly, no bikes went down yesterday, the track conditions were perfect, which is another reason for being so frustrated with getting so little time out there.

Straightflush had this cool heat gun gadget and we measured our tyre temperatures at the end of the session - mine were 60 degrees!

Bike
    aproaching zimmerfram status
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    Quote Originally Posted by craig h
    Surprisingly, no bikes went down yesterday, the track conditions were perfect, which is another reason for being so frustrated with getting so little time out there.

Straightflush had this cool heat gun gadget and we measured our tyre temperatures at the end of the session - mine were 60 degrees!
    You are right > that is surprising ......
    Wow > would never of thought that a tyre would get there ...Always figured in and around 40,45 maybe 50 @ the highest . But then I am not a tyre fundi ....
    Life is to short not to live fast

Bike
    RVF 400
    Region
    Western Cape

That sucks boet, sorry to hear that, i would have been lank ****ed off paying that much for it. I don't know why they have to involve cars either, same as on race days, yes sure, you need to spread things out for the spectators viewing pleasure etc, but doesn't safety come into the equation at all???

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Dream
    I don't know why they have to involve cars either, same as on race days, yes sure, you need to spread things out for the spectators viewing pleasure etc, but doesn't safety come into the equation at all???
    It's not that it's unsafe - the cars and bikes go out in separate sessions, so it's not like you can get nailed by a car.

I must admit though - I saw more than one oil leak on the cars.

Bike
    Billy-Bob & Tonto
    Region
    Gauteng

First of all... SORRY TIFOSI... for setting you up for this thread ;) ops:

I actually knew how badly organized Clinton's schools are (...specially the half day ones) & was hoping that someone would have the guts to speak up. I knew you would not hold back & all I had to do was wait for you to get back from the track... SORRY!!! ops:

BUT!!! I agree with all the posts made here regarding this track school (...even though I like Clinton; think his a great oke & an awesome rider) BUT... last time I went to Kyalami I spent R500 to get 1 & half track sessions in!!!

The biggest problem is that there is NO control from the marshal's side. The B class riders think they have to show off at Kyalami & leave the rest of us waiting in the pits most of the day for them to be washed off the tar! :evil:

Schedules then get changed BUT not announcements made!!!

This is why I asked you to rather come join us (...later today) at Zwartkops. This is actually worth your money. The ooms there is very strict & if you jaag *** aan then you'll soon see that non-white lappie waved at you

It's R200 for MORE track time. Starts STRICKTLY at 1pm (...you late - you waste your own money). Normally three classes (...except if it's before a race day when they have the juniors there as well): Single-seater-cars, Tin-top-cars, Bikes. Bikes start first session at 1pm. They ride till 5pm on the dot. In average there are normally about 6 bikes in total there (?4 sessions if you?re in time for the first one). The racers (...regional & national okes) knows what they do & you don't have to be scared that you'll get in their way.

I've never seen a bike off at a Wednesday though there was one day that the cars caused havoc. In 2 years time - must say THAT AIN'T BAD!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

@ Skinny - guess we live and learn. ;)

How about another ride to Graskop on the 21st? Kan jy glo dis alreeds 'n jaar terug!

http://www.thinkbike.co.za/talk/phpB...ghlight=freeze

Bike
    Billy-Bob & Tonto
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm doing my own ride (...with Jimis this time) all the way to Punda Malia rest camp in Kruger Park over that time. You have fun then... :roll:

Just watch out you don't get back & there's more babies at home!

...that time of the year again!

How bout an update on those twins???

Bike
    RVF 400
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    It's not that it's unsafe - the cars and bikes go out in separate sessions, so it's not like you can get nailed by a car.

I must admit though - I saw more than one oil leak on the cars.
    Yeah, i'm aware that they don't send the cars out with the bikes, i ain't blonde you know but the **** that they leak on the track is a concern, you never know, they may miss a spot!! And who's to say it gets cleaned up properly...they should just let the bikes go out first, then put the cars on, there's reall nothing to it

Bike
    Billy-Bob & Tonto
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey gogga - actually nie! Ja!!! Ek haat ook die oil spills MAAR... die tjorre warm die track baie vinniger op & los meer rubber op die teer solat ons baaikers kan klou om die draaie.

As dit nie vir tjorre was gister by Zwartkops nie - was daar NO riding!

BTW - Zwartkops is ge-re-tar... Soos snot ek seg vir julle - SOOS SNOT!!!

Bike
    RVF 400
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny
    Hey gogga - actually nie! Ja!!! Ek haat ook die oil spills MAAR... die tjorre warm die track baie vinniger op & los meer rubber op die teer solat ons baaikers kan klou om die draaie.
    Never thought about that, guess we don't all have fancy tyres like the SBK guys or tyre warmers...so why then do they only send out the cars after the two bike sessions??? Surely if they make such an impact on the track you'd want to send them out first on track day?

Bike
    Billy-Bob & Tonto
    Region
    Gauteng

Dis waar! Op alle gemengde track days waar ek nog was is die baaiks eerste uit. Soos wat ek verstaan is dit omdat die bikes minder raas as die karre & gewoonlik kla die mense in die omgewing oor die noise pollution oor 'n naweek. Dis ook hoekom die stadige klas eerste uitgaan by Zwartkops op 'n Sondag - die bure het gepraat!!!

Gister by Zwartkops kon ons skaars met mekaar gesels soos wat daai tjorre brul. Hulle RAAS ongelooflik baie tot 'n punt waar mens hulle fuel line will gaan sny... :roll: