Thread: Importing Spares.....

Bike
    DR-Z400SM
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Importing Spares.....

Got a friend with his own Import / Export business with connections in USA... Anyone interested PM / email me will forward you the Contact details...
    Kick the tyres and Light the fire... and own the roads and tracks ride a Suzuki.....

Bike
    Demon ZX10R & Yamaha BeeWizz
    Region
    Gauteng

Only for bike spares . . . . . or can he import anything??
    HOU MY DOP VAS EN CHECK HIERDIE MOVE!!!!

Bike
    DR-Z400SM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCE
    Anything..
    Kick the tyres and Light the fire... and own the roads and tracks ride a Suzuki.....

Bike
    MBX50 - DT50 - GN125ES - ZZR400N - CBR1100XX - K1200S - K1300S - S1000RR - Gixxer SF
    Region
    Gauteng

Heard a rumour today about the importing of all vehicle parts.
    apparently all parts and accessories needs to be SABS approved when they get imported....

I don't know how true this is, but can we find out about this?
    Serenity isn't freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

Pro Solvo Ego Iacio Pipio

Bike
    CB 900F2 Bol d'or ..... GT Avalanche 1.0 MTB
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCE
    Anything..
    Ill take 3 nimfo Russian brides and 4kg's of skunk weed
    Bones heal .... chicks dig scars

Bike
    ER6F, GSXR750
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticflipper
    . . . all parts and accessories needs to be SABS approved when they get imported...
    Ag a nee k@k man, het hulle dan niks anders om to doen met hul lewens nie. What a cock-up that will be for business - promote hiding stuff inside something else.

Typhoon, please PM details.

Bike
    "waiting"
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu
    Ill take 3 nimfo Russian brides and 4kg's of skunk weed
    I also want the eastern european special....
    null

Bike
    TZR250 3XV-twin
    Region
    Western Cape

Just remember that if you import something from oversea's, like over the net for example, you will pay duty and vat on the items when you collect it from the postal services. The amount depends on what the product is. For example I ordered engine parts from the UK and got charged 44% duty and then 15% vat on that total value.
    This is why our accessories and parts prices seem "expensive" to the buyer, becuase they look at the $ price, convert it, add postage and think that's all it'll cost!
    This is the governments way of trying to protect the local industry. A perfect example is the textile industry. Importers get nailed upto 45% duty on all garments & boots imported, even though motorcycle clothing is supposed to be protective gear, which is exempted from duties!!

Anyone know a good lawer to take on the government !?!?!?
    Live by Faith and not by Sight.

Bike
    R1150GS
    Region
    Gauteng

My experience till now has only beeen good,

I ordered parts online for a certain 950cc bike from the US.

Including shipping Duties and VAT, I paid R4k for parts that would have cost me around R9k from the local guys.

O, ja I must add, the company that I ordered from automatically used a much lower value on the shipping invoice. for Customs purposes.

Lurker
    Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    Region

I am being ripped off buy local guys, trying to make me pay over 9K for a crankshaft for my 2004 GSXR 1000. From too many wheelies my big end bearings seazed. Luckily I heard the knocking and stopped immediately. I am now forced to buy a new crank, conrods, bearings and a host of other small parts that I'm not sure I need. If anybody can help me to source the parts cheaper i would appreciate it. And perhaps a second opinion?

I can arrange shipping very easy as I work for an Import/Exports company.

I've been riding since the age of 3 and have been on a bike exclusivley (no car) for the last 7. Been through 2 CBR400's and a Blade before getting a K4 in 2004. I've already put 47 000km on it and understand that these things happen, but being ripped off by local guys has been my life story and is not cool. I know for a fact that I don't need to replace all the parts as per the shop and the prices are way too high. I find it sad that these guys do this to other bikers, their customers that keep them alive and put food on their table. It's a disgrace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bike
    Ducati 1098 * CBR600RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Default you

Quote Originally Posted by Up_on_1
    I am being ripped off buy local guys, trying to make me pay over 9K for a crankshaft for my 2004 GSXR 1000. From too many wheelies my big end bearings seazed. Luckily I heard the knocking and stopped immediately. I am now forced to buy a new crank, conrods, bearings and a host of other small parts that I'm not sure I need. If anybody can help me to source the parts cheaper i would appreciate it. And perhaps a second opinion?

I can arrange shipping very easy as I work for an Import/Exports company.

I've been riding since the age of 3 and have been on a bike exclusivley (no car) for the last 7. Been through 2 CBR400's and a Blade before getting a K4 in 2004. I've already put 47 000km on it and understand that these things happen, but being ripped off by local guys has been my life story and is not cool. I know for a fact that I don't need to replace all the parts as per the shop and the prices are way too high. I find it sad that these guys do this to other bikers, their customers that keep them alive and put food on their table. It's a disgrace.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi, and you are?
    The ultimate achievement in Jeet Kune Do is not the wholesale destruction of one's foes but rather the annihilation of things that stand in the way of peace, justice and humanity. www.jkd.co.za

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    BMW R1200R ; Kawa Z550F ; Triumph Daytona SE (sold) ; BMW S1000R '47 Matchless being restored
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Just remember that if you import something from oversea's, like over the net for example, you will pay duty and vat on the items when you collect it from the postal services. The amount depends on what the product is. For example I ordered engine parts from the UK and got charged 44% duty and then 15% vat on that total value.
    This is why our accessories and parts prices seem "expensive" to the buyer, becuase they look at the $ price, convert it, add postage and think that's all it'll cost!
    This is the governments way of trying to protect the local industry. A perfect example is the textile industry. Importers get nailed upto 45% duty on all garments & boots imported, even though motorcycle clothing is supposed to be protective gear, which is exempted from duties!!

Anyone know a good lawer to take on the government !?!?!?
    When buying Motorcycle spares from overseas get the seller to add the following note to the outside of the package, and also on the invoice. "MOTOR CYCLE PARTS: TARIFF CODE 871499004 - NO DUTY PAYABLE". I got this from the Classic MC Natal. It's worked for me up to now. You may still need to pay the 14% VAT.

Bike
    TW200 - Nezumi, and a restoration project.
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

My call would be: Import all the spares and accessories you need if you can find them and are sure they are correct or fit correctly.
    You will SOMETIMES have to pay import duties but sometimes not, and yes the government/post office suck and dont know what they are charging, according to what tarrifs and why.

As far as SABS approval goes, when it comes to parts I'm sure the local law-enforcement agencies won't be tearing down your bike to check sprockets etc etc for that sort of thing! You should be fine!
    *** The views expressed in my postings are my own and I will stand defiantly behind them!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Deena and Smellentino: Lazarus Award (Platinum) for dead thread revival!

Pretty woman .... make me stall ... iamgigglz's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Deena and Smellentino: Lazarus Award (Platinum) for dead thread revival!

Good tip from Deena though