Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Photos needed - ATGATT (Not for sensitive viewers)

Bike
    R80GS PD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ryansta View Post
    Wow
    Wish i never came across this thread. Been riding a scooter for 3 years,recently bought a CBX 250. I now want to sell both and get a car
    I am now petrified. I have always prided myself as extremely cautious andalways paying great attention when I’m riding. Never listening to music ordoing anything other than commuting to work and back. That time is dedicated togetting there and not being concerned with anything else.

From all the stories i read(i didn’t read all just a few) most or all werecaused by someone else being an idiot. This means no matter what i do, if I’min the wrong place at the wrong time i could literally be killed by a verysmall minor accident. The pain this causes for the families is heart-breakingto read about and i now feel i am at a risk of doing this to the people i love.

I may very well hang up my biking boots...
    Welcome to the real world. It is never wrong to realise what biking is about and the dangers associated with it. That does not mean, you do not have to ride any two wheeler. But a lot can be done about safe riding, protecting yourself, by means of rider gear and by means of training. The final decision is still yours. I hope, you make the right one.
    You don't ride in the rain, you don't ride!

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

Listen to sage advice. We ride bike because we feel alive when we do and we do so with the full understanding of the dangers out there. Training, wearing the right protective gear and being awake will all go towards giving you a better experience on the road. If you like, I can spend some time with you? I also present commuter training every now and again so think about that?
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Biker
    Bike
    Keeway Arn 125 scooter and Honda CBX 250
    Region
    Gauteng

I came off once on the scooter, front wheel locked in the rain, i hadnt even really pulled the brake basically put my hand on the break in preparation of slowing down. My gloves were chewed by the new puppy the night before so all the damage was a scrape on the one hand. I wasnt travelling fast as it was wet so i got up and rode away in a few seconds.

As i said im EXTREMELY cautious and a nervous wreck in cars when the gf drives or something as im always expecting someone to shoot out or change lanes without a care in the world. I ride everyday about 50-60Km. Started riding the CBX this week, much different and more stable. More control over the speed and stoping of the bike than the scooter as you dont need to rely on wheel/tar grip solely to stop as the bike engine slows the bike down.

I havent had training and i only use helmet, jacket and gloves. No pants or boots.

I havent had any close calls, a few moments when i thought, "maybe i couldve handled that better" but nothing serious. I dont think the scooter(or me) could ever go fast enough that i couldnt stop or slow down long before anything crazy happens. The bikes a bit different though, faster, more power. More danger.

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda NC750x & Honda NC750xd
    Region
    Free State
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

As i said im EXTREMELY cautious and a nervous wreck in cars when the gf drives or something as im always expecting someone to shoot out or change lanes without a care in the world.
    That might be one of the reasons you don't enjoy riding. You should be self-assured but attentive. It translates to body language too and if you LOOK like you don't have control, then the drivers will take advantage of you.

I ride everyday about 50-60Km.
    Lots of time to cement bad habits!

I havent had training and i only use helmet, jacket and gloves. No pants or boots.
    Training is the first thing you should do, no matter what bike/ scooter you ride. It will also give you more self confidence on the road.

The bikes a bit different though, faster, more power. More danger.
    Yes, but also more power to get OUT of trouble. Getting INTO trouble is very easy, but you need to get out just as fast, if not faster.
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hover Ho' View Post
    That might be one of the reasons you don't enjoy riding. You should be self-assured but attentive. It translates to body language too and if you LOOK like you don't have control, then the drivers will take advantage of you.

Lots of time to cement bad habits!

Training is the first thing you should do, no matter what bike/ scooter you ride. It will also give you more self confidence on the road.

Yes, but also more power to get OUT of trouble. Getting INTO trouble is very easy, but you need to get out just as fast, if not faster.
    No no, i love the riding, had a car got rid of it cause i never used it. I am just concerned at how easy these accidents happen and the frequency. Sure it may as dangerous on the road in a car, but a bumper bashing seems potentially deadly when on a bike going on the stories i read.

The comment about me being a nervous wreck, is when someone else is driving(a car). I have confidence in my abbilities. i was just mentioning the caution i take translates into nervous passenger and backseat driver as cars/drivers do not take the same caution as i do(gf and brother driving is scary:P)

That comment about getting out of trouble is one i have never understood. Speed seems to be the common cause for accidents, cars and bikes. If the vehicle cannot stop in time it hits whatever it was stopping for. Having more speed(power) wont make you stop?

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

That comment about getting out of trouble is one i have never understood. Speed seems to be the common cause for accidents, cars and bikes. If the vehicle cannot stop in time it hits whatever it was stopping for. Having more speed(power) wont make you stop?
    Speed is not the problem, it's coming to a sudden stop against something solid that's the problem. If you cannot stop in time, then you are going to fast for the conditions. By having more speed to get OUT of a situation means that you might be travelling at the same speed as the surrounding traffic, within speed limits. If a driver veers into your lane, you then have more power to get away from the him - THAT is what is meant by more power and speed to get OUT of a situation, not racing around at top speed in traffic.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

I came off once on the scooter, front wheel locked in the rain, i hadnt even really pulled the brake basically put my hand on the break in preparation of slowing down. My gloves were chewed by the new puppy the night before so all the damage was a scrape on the one hand. I wasnt travelling fast as it was wet so i got up and rode away in a few seconds.

As i said im EXTREMELY cautious and a nervous wreck in cars when the gf drives or something as im always expecting someone to shoot out or change lanes without a care in the world. I ride everyday about 50-60Km. Started riding the CBX this week, much different and more stable. More control over the speed and stoping of the bike than the scooter as you dont need to rely on wheel/tar grip solely to stop as the bike engine slows the bike down.

I havent had any close calls, a few moments when i thought, "maybe i couldve handled that better" but nothing serious. I dont think the scooter(or me) could ever go fast enough that i couldnt stop or slow down long before anything crazy happens. The bikes a bit different though, faster, more power. More danger.
    The engine still slows you down with the grip from the tyres, don't forget that ;)

I've also got a 250, and the engine is heavy enough to lock the rear wheel if you gear down much too fast.

Like you I also don't like riding along as a passenger, but that out-of-control feeling is just part of being a passenger. When you're in control you usually pay more attention to what's going on around you and expect things. Harsh braking or acceleration will feel less harsh if you're in control of the action for instance, because you have control over the intensity and timing of the events.

Keep that in mind when the GF is a passenger ;)
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    The engine still slows you down with the grip from the tyres, don't forget that ;)

I've also got a 250, and the engine is heavy enough to lock the rear wheel if you gear down much too fast.

Like you I also don't like riding along as a passenger, but that out-of-control feeling is just part of being a passenger. When you're in control you usually pay more attention to what's going on around you and expect things. Harsh braking or acceleration will feel less harsh if you're in control of the action for instance, because you have control over the intensity and timing of the events.

Keep that in mind when the GF is a passenger ;)
    This theory was proven, riding on a semi tar'd road(road works sigh) i was going about 30 and then dropped into second, sccrrrrrrrcrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcrcrrr, goes the back wheel for a split second damn....

Anyways, what is the best braking technic in wet, slippery conditions including sandy roads?

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600 k8
    Region
    Gauteng

Pgreeff
    For interest sake, what were you wearing when you had the accident?? Jeans?

Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Me?

When i fell off the scooter i was wearing work clothes, jacket and helmet.

Bike
    Sym CityCom 300i
    Region
    Western Cape

Not sure if you have this one. No details of the roadrash as I got it off of Facebook.
    Road Rash.jpg

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

I am fully for atgatt. I didn't get my bike till I bought a decent helmet, jacket, boots and gloves. I am still a guilty party with the pants but I hope to get those after payday later this month.

With that said, I suited up fully to ride down to nandos (3km from home) earlier today. When I got there I was drenched in sweet...I don't know how to clean this berik jacket yet....but as I read some where. ...atgatt, blood hurts more than sweet.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by hastex View Post
    I am fully for atgatt. I didn't get my bike till I bought a decent helmet, jacket, boots and gloves. I am still a guilty party with the pants but I hope to get those after payday later this month.

With that said, I suited up fully to ride down to nandos (3km from home) earlier today. When I got there I was drenched in sweet...I don't know how to clean this berik jacket yet....but as I read some where. ...atgatt, blood hurts more than sweet.
    I take it you mean 'Sweat' ;)

I'm used to leather by, so the mesh feels like a cool summer breeze in comparison and I opt for that when I'm going to be riding in hot conditions.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

Yes. Sweat. This berik Airflow this was supposed to be a cool jacket but nope! Hot like satan's dungeon.