PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Sasol Solar Challenge

AMZ
02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
The Sasol Solar Challenge for 2018 is likely to tale place from 22 to 29 September. It will be from Pretoria to Stellenbosch with a few new and interesting twists in the route as well. Chances are 99,9% that we will again be asked and contracted to provide escourt services to the team. For those interested, keep those dates open. Keep in mind you will require travel time after the finish, or before the start.

Just a note: I have not been on contact with the organisers and none of the above is official. This is just a heads-up for those who would be interested and would need leave, etc.

WBro
02-01-2018, 08:38 PM
The Sasol Solar Challenge for 2018 is likely to tale place from 22 to 29 September. It will be from Pretoria to Stellenbosch with a few new and interesting twists in the route as well. Chances are 99,9% that we will again be asked and contracted to provide escourt services to the team. For those interested, keep those dates open. Keep in mind you will require travel time after the finish, or before the start.

Just a note: I have not been on contact with the organisers and none of the above is official. This is just a heads-up for those who would be interested and would need leave, etc.

In - Leave Approved:
WBro

SLOH
05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Available

Viljoen
05-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Available

AMZ
05-01-2018, 04:42 PM
This year will include a few interesting places like Cape Agulhas and the Sweaty Dutchman on the R62.

Chuckie
06-01-2018, 05:13 PM
I will make myself available for this event

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

V T C 911
08-01-2018, 12:16 PM
The CHETTYS can also make a plan

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-L01 using Tapatalk

Scorpius
09-01-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm also available

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Ntjamme
10-01-2018, 08:04 AM
I know somewhere the Sexy Coach mentioned how TB had explored Zero but was ruled out looking at the range. Would really be awesome to have an electric/bio fuel bike marshalling this event.

I know when I looked at Zero, in the State they have a few options with longer range/deeper cycle batteries.

Can we knock on Zero's door to test a bike on a few Club 100 runs - we can loop the Cradle a few times nogal - and if SASOL calls us, we can use one during this international event.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk

AMZ
10-01-2018, 08:31 AM
For a Zero to do the Sasol Solar Challenge it would need a daily range of 500 - 700km.

Ntjamme
10-01-2018, 08:55 AM
For a Zero to do the Sasol Solar Challenge it would need a daily range of 500 - 700km.Oh wow, wasn't aware that is the daily range.
Does this mean some bikes get to refuel during the event? My CBF's range is under 500km!

AMZ
10-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Oh wow, wasn't aware that is the daily range.
Does this mean some bikes get to refuel during the event? My CBF's range is under 500km!

The top teams did upward of 4200km in 8 days, average about 520km a day. Highest for a single day was just over 700km.

Yes, you can refuel.

WBro
10-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Yes, you can refuel.

or get a R1200GS Adv...

WBro
10-01-2018, 02:53 PM
I know somewhere the Sexy Coach mentioned how TB had explored Zero but was ruled out looking at the range. Would really be awesome to have an electric/bio fuel bike marshalling this event.

I know when I looked at Zero, in the State they have a few options with longer range/deeper cycle batteries.

Can we knock on Zero's door to test a bike on a few Club 100 runs - we can loop the Cradle a few times nogal - and if SASOL calls us, we can use one during this international event.

The top teams are travelling at the speed limit around town and close to it on the open roads for the whole day. Some of the less efficient teams are not that far behind. So a specific test on the Zero would have to be a 'worst case senario' speeds / efficiency.
Would have to have complete set of backup bikes as this is a serious safety role for us. These vehicles are not easy to spot when on the roads hence our presence as a visible barrier from the public road users.

Ntjamme
11-01-2018, 06:16 PM
This discussion shows how much work really still needs to go into a "clean energy" motorcycle.

Do the BMW and Nissan electric cars come any close to these ranges?

AMZ
12-01-2018, 10:08 AM
I am sure they will still develop a lot, but a bike like the Zero is already there. Even with the current range, it will give me a 3.5 day commute and then I do have all night to charge. So, it is already a very handy commuter. The price in SA is just off the charts.

Ntjamme
13-01-2018, 06:27 PM
I am sure they will still develop a lot, but a bike like the Zero is already there. Even with the current range, it will give me a 3.5 day commute and then I do have all night to charge. So, it is already a very handy commuter. The price in SA is just off the charts.When I explored a Zero 2 years ago figured I'd get 4 days commute on R20 charge! Now that's some good return on investment for a daily commute.
The limitation was then the "out of town blitz" to Harrismith from Jozi - would have needed me to get a 2nd bike :(

Speed Devil
15-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Due to forced extended leave at work over Christmas/new year I won't have enough leave to do this one this year:wha::wha::wha::wha::wha::wha::wha:

Mags
15-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Due to forced extended leave at work over Christmas/new year I won't have enough leave to do this one this year:wha::wha::wha::wha::wha::wha::wha:

Don't worry Speedy - I'll be there :thumbright::thumbright::dance::dance:

THE MOOSE
25-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Available. Booked the Swiss team - anybody knows if they have one? Otherwise the German team, anybody knows, if they start?

AMZ
26-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Available. Booked the Swiss team - anybody knows if they have one? Otherwise the German team, anybody knows, if they start?

I believe the German Team have partnered with the Indian team, sort of like BMW and TVS for the G310GS. You have them. Guaranteed! :gkim2:

http://images.indianexpress.com/2015/12/solar-car1-759.jpg?w=600

Nicolaas
26-02-2018, 03:20 PM
:dance:this will be great to be able to attend

AMZ
29-03-2018, 09:21 AM
http://www.sasol.com/media-centre/media-releases/sun-powered-technology-test-takes-sa-roads-september

The world’s top solar-powered cars go head to head on South Africa’s roads in September 2018 in an epic 2 500 km event that tests the limits of energy innovation and technology.

This year’s Sasol Solar Challenge is the biggest yet, with up to 15 international teams and strong local contenders competing for the trophy.

The event is a live testing laboratory for new technologies and in 2018 will feature innovative cars with hand-woven solar panels, sophisticated weather monitoring systems and 3D-printed parts. The cars will also boast more efficient electrical systems and batteries.

Local and international teams set off from Pretoria on 22 September and finish in Stellenbosch on 29 September after traversing a challenging route through mountains, deserts, cities and small towns.

“This is a test of tenacity, endurance, logistics and innovation,” says Winstone Jordaan, Sasol Solar Challenge director and founder.
Dutch team Nuon will return in 2018 to defend their title and attempt to break their record from 2016 – when they covered 4 716 km using only the power of the African sun.

The 2018 event marks a decade of serious solar car challenges in SA, as the event runs for the sixth time.

“From humble beginnings with amateur local solar cars in 2008, the Sasol Solar Challenge is now a big international event which draws top global teams and is eagerly awaited by thousands of people in towns across SA,” says Jordaan.

SA teams are becoming more competitive, with North West University coming fourth in 2016 by completing 3 524 km. High school team Maragon Olympus beat the University of Johannesburg by a nail-biting 40 km.

Teams from South Africa, Australia, China, Japan, The Netherlands, and the USA are expected in 2018.

Their challenge is to travel as far as possible along a set route each day, maximising the energy they can draw from every ray of sunlight. It’s a test of technology, driving, team support, logistics, electronics and strategy.

Stellenbosch hosts the finish line for the first time in 2018 and the awards ceremony takes place in Cape Town on 30 September 2018.
Most of the teams are from universities, and the event gives students the chance to apply their engineering education in a challenging environment.

Sasol has sponsored the solar challenge since 2012 as part of its commitment to furthering science, technology, engineering and maths education and inspiring learners to pursue technical careers.

This year, Sasol will also sponsor two teams who have never competed before.

The Sasol Solar Challenge is looking for volunteers along its route. Please mail the event office on admin@solarchallenge.org.za.

Q
11-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Solar Challenge 2018 dates and route announced2018-04-11 08:00Johannesburg - The world’s top solar-powered cars go head to head on South Africa’s roads in September 2018 to take part in a 2500 km event that tests the limits of energy innovation and technology.

This year’s Sasol Solar Challenge is the biggest yet, with up to 15 international teams and strong local contenders competing for the trophy.
3D-printed cars will feature
The event is a live testing laboratory for new technologies and in 2018 will feature innovative cars with hand-woven solar panels, sophisticated weather monitoring systems and 3D-printed parts. The cars will also boast more efficient electrical systems and batteries.

Local and international teams set off from Pretoria on 22 September and finish in Stellenbosch on 29 September after traversing a challenging route through mountains, deserts, cities and small towns.
Winstone Jordaan, Sasol Solar Challenge director and founder said: “This is a test of tenacity, endurance, logistics and innovation."

Dutch team Nuon will return in 2018 to defend their title and attempt to break their record from 2016 – when they covered 4716 km using only the power of the African sun.

The 2018 event marks a decade of serious solar car challenges in SA, as the event runs for the sixth time.

“From humble beginnings with amateur local solar cars in 2008, the Sasol Solar Challenge is now a big international event which draws top global teams and is eagerly awaited by thousands of people in towns across SA,” says Jordaan.

SA teams are becoming more competitive, with North West University coming fourth in 2016 by completing 3524km. High school team Maragon Olympus beat the University of Johannesburg by a nail-biting 40km.
International flavour
Teams from South Africa, Australia, China, Japan, The Netherlands, and the USA are expected in 2018.
Their challenge is to travel as far as possible along a set route each day, maximising the energy they can draw from every ray of sunlight. It’s a test of technology, driving, team support, logistics, electronics and strategy.

Stellenbosch hosts the finish line for the first time in 2018 and the awards ceremony takes place in Cape Town on 30 September 2018.

Most of the teams are from universities, and the event gives students the chance to apply their engineering education in a challenging environment.

Sasol has sponsored the solar challenge since 2012 as part of its commitment to furthering science, technology, engineering and maths education and inspiring learners to pursue technical careers.
This year, Sasol will also sponsor two teams who have never competed before.
Solar Challenge route and dates
22 September: Pretoria – Sasolburg – Kroonstad
23 September: Kroonstad – Winburg – Bloemfontein
24 September: Bloemfontein – Edenburg – Gariep Dam
25 September: Gariep Dam – Middelburg – Graaff-Reinet
26 September: Graaff-Reinet – Jansenville – Port Elizabeth
27 September: Port Elizabeth – Kareedauw – Sedgefield
28 September: Sedgefield – Mossel Bay – Swellendam
29 September: Swellendam – Bredasdorp – Cape Agulhas – Stellenbosch

AMZ
25-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Nuna 9, reigning World Champion, who will become Nuna 9s for the Sasol Solar Challenge is currently receiving a new wrap-job for the South African race.

Grysie
26-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Why are there two threads for the same event?

http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?74063-Sasol-Solar-Challenge-2018

AMZ
26-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Planned high level route for those interested to come have a look see.

Saterday 22/9: Pretoria (Menlyn Maine) to Kroonstad (254km). Control Stop - Sasolburg. Loop distance: 74,9km
Sunday 23/9: Kroonstad to Bloemfontein (231km). Control Stop - Winburg. Loop distance: 70,7km
Monday 24/9: Bloemfontein to Gariep Dam (196km). Control Stop - Edenburg. Loop distance: 82,1km
Tuesday 25/9: Gariep Dam to Graaff-Reinet (224km). Control Stop - Middelburg. Loop distance: 35,9
Wednesday 26/9: Graaf-Reinet to Port-Elizabeth (250km). Control Stop - Jansenville. Loop distance: 65,2km
Thursday 27/9: Port Elizabeth to Sedgefield (312km). Control Stop - Kareedouw. Loop distance: 59,2km
Friday 28/9: Sedgefield to Swellendam (245km). Control Stop - Mosselbay. Loop distance: 28,7km
Saturday 29/9: Swellendam to Stellenbosch (234km). Control Stop - Bredasdorp. Loop distance: 75,1

Shortest route distance: 1958km
Possible total distance by top teams: 4500 - 5000km. Current record: 4745km.

WBro
27-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Why are there two threads for the same event?

http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?74063-Sasol-Solar-Challenge-2018

This is in All Thing Marshalling for general Forum Viewing and the other thread is the working thread for Marshals to sign up etc (closed group)

AMZ
06-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Sasol Solar Challenge will be in Bloemfontein on 23 September 2018.

https://www.ofm.co.za/article/local-news/263477/bfn-a-pit-stop-for-sasol-solar-challenge?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

AMZ
27-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Nuna 9, reigning World Champion, who will become Nuna 9s for the Sasol Solar Challenge is currently receiving a new wrap-job for the South African race.

https://www.nuonsolarteam.nl/uploads/files/highlights/Foto%20Nuna%20reclame.jpg

Nuna9 racing in Australia last year, above. Nuna9S ready for SA in her new wrap below:

https://www.groen7.nl/files/2018/nuna-9s-zonnewagen.jpg

AMZ
04-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Should anyone be interested to come and have a look at these cars, the best spot is at the Control Stop Area, as this is where they will spend time standing still. It will also be the start and finish for the loops they will be driving to gain extra distance for the day.

Saterday 22/9: Control Stop: D.P. de Villiers Stadium, Sasolburg. Loop to Deneysville, Viljoensdrift and back
Sunday 23/9: Control Stop - Main Street, Winburg. Loop distance: Loop to Theunissen and back
Monday 24/9: Control Stop - Church Square, Edenburg. Loop toward Trompsburg and back
Tuesday 25/9: Control Stop - High School, Middelburg. Loop toward Graaff-Reinett and back.
Wednesday 26/9: Control Stop - Main Street, Jansenville. Loop to Klipplaat and back.
Thursday 27/9: Control Stop - Sweaty Dutchman, Kareedouw. Loop onto N2 toward PE and back.
Friday 28/9: Control Stop - Langeberg Mall, Mosselbay. Loop to Brandwacht and back.
Saturday 29/9: Control Stop - Sport Club, Bredasdorp. Loop to Aghulas and back

AMZ
07-09-2018, 09:22 AM
15 days to the start of the Sasol Solar Challenge in Pretoria and once again, Think Bike and the Think Bike Marshals are proud to be an integral part of this epic journey. Some Marshals will come from Cape Town and others from Durban to join the Gauteng group in Pretoria the day before the start. Looking forward to seeing you outoftowners again and please ride save!

A piccie or two from 2016.

Coachman
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
We are so proud of our Sasol Solar Challenge Marshals - They won the award for Professionalism and Safety at the awards event at the end of Sasol Solar Challenge in Cape Town last weekend.

The Press Release reads as follows:

THINK BIKE MARSHALS WINS SASOL SOLAR AWARD
The 2018 Sasol Solar Challenge trophy for Team Professionalism and Safety was awarded to Think Bike Marshals during the SSC Awards ceremony in Cape Town on Sunday.
According to the SSC Event Director Winstone Jordaan, the efforts of the Think Bike Marshals not only ensured that the event was concluded without a single serious incident, but their punctuality, discipline both on and off the road and their overt team spirit served as an example of professionalism for all the participants. Whilst the trophy is usually awarded to one of the participating teams, SSC event officials decided to award the trophy to Think Bike Marshals the first time in the 10-year history of the Sasol Solar Car challenge.
The Think Bike Marshals accepted the trophy to a standing ovation from all the participants and the winning team Team Captain from Nuon University of Delft, the current World Champions dedicated their win to Think Bike Marshals.
ENDS

Chuckie
01-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Congratulations SSC TB Marshals. I am honoured to be part of TB Marshals and so envious of the ones that did the trip. SSC is on my bucket list.

Grysie
01-10-2018, 02:37 PM
:salute: :salute: :salute:

-Az-
01-10-2018, 02:57 PM
:headbang: :salute:

Stranger
01-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Seriously guys.

I am not even a bit surprised, I expected nothing less. :tongue3::rolf2:

Pannas
01-10-2018, 04:29 PM
...if it's not a think bike marshal......

Pannas
01-10-2018, 04:29 PM
.... It's just another dude on a bike......

Warped
02-10-2018, 07:06 AM
WELL DONE! :salute:

oulouis
02-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Respect!! Well done.