PDA

View Full Version : Country trip

DJ Parker
19-10-2015, 02:15 PM
A few mates and I were/are toying with the idea of going to ride Route 66, Chicago to L.A.
This got me thinking, why go do that when we haven't even explored our own country in such a way?

And so, i spent the last 5 minutes of my work day to come up with this, possibly terrible, but probably epic road trip.

For starters, we'd get our bikes sent to Cape Town and fly down. Chill and ride in CT for a 2 days, most of these are 2 day stops except for the glaringly *** ones. Also, the milage isn't too much daily as to enjoy the route and stop where ever you wish.

CT – Gansbaai - Still Bay - Knysna - Three Sisters - Gariep Dam - Welkom - JHB.

Done over 14 days, its a total of 2 000km.

Not expecting any replies, just thought i'd put it out there. We toying with the idea of doing it early 2016.

ColleenC
19-10-2015, 03:55 PM
You can never go wrong with starting in Cape Town :tartparty: there is just so much to see in SA that even 14 days doesn't sound like enough but any time spent out riding I am sure will be a jol :)

AMZ
19-10-2015, 05:51 PM
A few mates and I were/are toying with the idea of going to ride Route 66, Chicago to L.A.
This got me thinking, why go do that when we haven't even explored our own country in such a way?

And so, i spent the last 5 minutes of my work day to come up with this, possibly terrible, but probably epic road trip.

For starters, we'd get our bikes sent to Cape Town and fly down. Chill and ride in CT for a 2 days, most of these are 2 day stops except for the glaringly *** ones. Also, the milage isn't too much daily as to enjoy the route and stop where ever you wish.

CT – Gansbaai - Still Bay - Knysna - Three Sisters - Gariep Dam - Welkom - JHB.

Done over 14 days, its a total of 2 000km.

Not expecting any replies, just thought i'd put it out there. We toying with the idea of doing it early 2016.

Why not ride the bikes down? You can make it a huge round trip.

DJ Parker
21-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Why not ride the bikes down? You can make it a huge round trip.

I'd love to, but won't have the time to go both ways... but who knows what the future may hold?

AMZ
21-10-2015, 11:23 AM
I'd love to, but won't have the time to go both ways... but who knows what the future may hold?

Okay. I do not comprehend, but your ride, is your ride. You do what works for you. My wife and I (she rides her own bike) have done a CT and back, long way round trip in 14 days. We did just over 5000km. No sweat.

Have fun and remember, there is a lot of fun in the planning already.

THE MOOSE
21-10-2015, 01:09 PM

Why would you say that? 2000 km over 14 days is under 150km per day, you can make it a round trip, add a bit per day and still ride all instead of flying to Cape Town. Not one day would you have to go the same route, you would see more and the distances would not stress much either? The trip could be stretched to say 3500km which gives you a daily distance of 250km, i.e. you have all day to enjoy, stop for a smoke, a bite, a bit of sightseeing or whatever you fancy, without rushing it. Save the money on flights and the logistics costs to get the bikes down and see more of the country in the same time span?

Whatever you decide, enjoy, take pics and post RR. Lots of fun and a safe trip!

DJ Parker
21-10-2015, 01:52 PM
ok, you guys are making sense... a lot of sense actually. I think i'll get a few bikers together who want to do this ride and see what works best. Cost wise I think you're on to something as well.

Wisp
21-10-2015, 02:23 PM
ok, you guys are making sense... a lot of sense actually. I think i'll get a few bikers together who want to do this ride and see what works best. Cost wise I think you're on to something as well.
I'd be interested in such a ride...

DJ Parker
21-10-2015, 02:31 PM
I'd be interested in such a ride...

Awesome, it's only likely to take place in the new year. But i'll post information closer to the time where we can meet up and plan the route and dates that suit everyone.

AMZ
21-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Nice route (although you ask 10 bikers, you will het 10 responses on routes):

Day 1: JHB - Phillopolis. about 750km. Sleep over in the jai.
Day 2: Philopolis - Cape town, about 720km.
Day 3, 4, 5, 6 (however many days you need): Hang around CT, do the touristy thing. Day rides to Franchoek, Hermanus, Gansbaai, Gordons Bay, or whatever grabs your fancy.
Day 7: CT to anywhere on R62, about 250km. (Visit Ronnie's Sex Shop, say hi to Tour Biker in Ladsmith)
Day 8: Onward on R62, about 250km. Sleep over somewhere, say Oudtshoorn, Uniondale, etc.
Day 8: Off R62 toward sea towards Jeffries Bay, Cape St Francis, whatever, anywhere between 100 and 300km depending on route.
Day 9: Wherever you are to Port St. Johns. 150 - 350km depending on where you started.
Day 10: Port St. Johns to Aliwal North, about 500km. (Hot springs, etc)
Day 11: Aliwal North - Bloemfontein, about 300km
Day 12: Bloem - JHB: About 450km

Add or take away to get to 14 days.

Mags and I are planning a ride, late April / May which will be about 6000km in about 20 days. Route planning very sketchy and changes every time either of us blink for now. Will become more solid, the day after we left. Only must do's are Augrabies, Paternoster, Stellenbosch (MIL), PE (my daughter), Home. The rest in between is fluid.

Why not do a nice long weekend ride, or two for practise prior to the long one? JHB - ET, or JHB - Clarens area.

joe
21-10-2015, 08:20 PM
If you have two weeks there are so many nice routes to do. A few years ago I did 10 day trip from Jhb. Basically aim for west coast and sleep at Alexander Bay. It is the most western part of the country, sleeping over at Augrabies waterfall on the way is recommended. Then follow the west coast down to Cape Town. Be a tourist. Go to Cape Agulhas, most southern tip of country. Then head back through Sutherland for telescopes and then you head home.

AMZ
21-10-2015, 08:29 PM
If you have two weeks there are so many nice routes to do. A few years ago I did 10 day trip from Jhb. Basically aim for west coast and sleep at Alexander Bay. It is the most western part of the country, sleeping over at Augrabies waterfall on the way is recommended. Then follow the west coast down to Cape Town. Be a tourist. Go to Cape Agulhas, most southern tip of country. Then head back through Sutherland for telescopes and then you head home.

Indeed! You can just point the bike and ride and it will be worth it.

DJ Parker
22-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Awesome, thanks. There are so many places to go and ride to. All of you options here are amazing. The only problem i face is fuel stops along the way, the forty eight has a seven litre tank giving me 150km if i'm lucky. So my rides are really going to be planned gas station to gas station. i'll take a small reserve with me should i need it along the way, and a hosepipe to steal from others in a worst case scenario :rolf2:

Literally though, your ride would be amazing!

AMZ
22-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Awesome, thanks. There are so many places to go and ride to. All of you options here are amazing. The only problem i face is fuel stops along the way, the forty eight has a seven litre tank giving me 150km if i'm lucky. So my rides are really going to be planned gas station to gas station. i'll take a small reserve with me should i need it along the way, and a hosepipe to steal from others in a worst case scenario :rolf2:

Literally though, your ride would be amazing!

A well planned route should have you at a fuel pump every 150km reasonably easily. Of course, stealing from others is also an acceptable option.

On our Cape Trip a few years ago, my buddy's Yamaha fried íts alternator. We rode from Oppieberg, via Ceres to Stellenbosch and on to Cape Town by battery swopping. Only hassle was, his battery was to high for my bike, so whenever I had his battery in my bike, I couldn't put my seat on. Seat go strapped to the top box and I would ride without. Rather uncomfortable after 15 km or so! :rolf2:

All part of the fun we laugh about now.