PDA

View Full Version : Why so few TB events?

Obliette
16-02-2015, 09:39 AM
As the heading asks.

AMZ
16-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Because nobody ever goes.

colyvon
16-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Think Bike is us, everybody! The only way events take place is if somebody with a passion and drive takes the initiative and arranges something. Banner days used to be pretty big with many people getting involved at bridges throughout Johannesburg and Pretoria, at the last one I'm not sure if we managed to man even one. Try calling for volunteers, I did on Think Bike Facebook where we have over 13 000 "members", I got two responses. People unfortunately are willing to spend time posting on the forum or Facebook, but when it comes to putting their money (time) where their mouth is :dontknow:.

Just for interests sake, who would be willing to give up one (or more) Saturday morning a month to go out and hand out leaflets, approach younger riders at malls or even approach centre management to ask if we could set up a stall for a morning in their malls?

Add you name here, and let's see what we can do. Give an indication of your geographic location.
-
-
-
-
-
-

Obliette
16-02-2015, 11:17 AM
The reason I asked is because I know some of the older members and have seen their photos of TB events and it looked amazing. I currently live in Empangeni but am planning om moving up toe Gauteng and do not mind giving up time for something like this.

ColleenC
16-02-2015, 11:31 AM
It depends what sort of events you are talking about. Are you talking about awareness drives which means handing out pamphlets and things or are you talking about rides / breakfast runs?

Obliette
16-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Mostly awareness drives but would not complain about a few rides. I just think awareness drives is worth the effort and should be a lot of fun.

theRéhann
16-02-2015, 11:58 AM
There has been a significant loss in momentum for the campaign. We need younger blood, methinks.

Obliette
16-02-2015, 12:11 PM
That could be a solution, but where are all those who organised and took part in all those previous awareness drives. In the photos you see dozens of TB people. New blood will work but you need those who started it to come back.

Just my opinion.

AlexJ
16-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I would be willing help where I can, south of johannesburg

ColleenC
16-02-2015, 01:30 PM
As with every volunteer type of organisation people come and people go. It is always nice to have the old ballies around spreading their joy and wisdom :geek: but you can't force them to stay and sometimes when they have lost the passion for it then it is better that they leave instead of spreading negativity

The big thing is for members to get active and participate. The last I heard there were only 2 directors currently on the board and as they are volunteers they can't do it alone. If there is something you want to do in aid of the campaign then contact the directors and get together for a chat about it and then you will need to run with it. Organise the manpower, get whatever you need in terms of banners, pamphlets, whatever :ride: There is a meeting on Wednesday evening about getting involved in this type of thing so if you are interested them PM Crash and find out how you can join in the fun :tartparty:

Crash
16-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Shhhhhhhh the meeting on Wednesday night at 6pm is a secret!

Solstice
16-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I have on several occasions called for volunteers to attend functions at dayjols, rallies etc......... no response except for the regular three or four that always respond. Two weeks ago hubby and I went to a dayjol alone to represent TB. I did call for volunteers on the forum. I cannot fault anyone for not responding...... nor will I judge as we are all volunteers. On the other hand, I have noticed a disturbing trend....... no one wants to hear the message: They want free stickers and t-shirts. While I agree on getting the message out any way possible, the campaign cannot bear the cost of constantly handing out free stuff. When I discuss the issue of a possible (if very small donation) with the organisers, they are never heard from again.

ColleenC
16-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Shhhhhhhh the meeting on Wednesday night at 6pm is a secret!

:rolf3::rolf3::rolf3:

ColleenC
16-02-2015, 02:52 PM
I have on several occasions called for volunteers to attend functions at dayjols, rallies etc......... no response except for the regular three or four that always respond. Two weeks ago hubby and I went to a dayjol alone to represent TB. I did call for volunteers on the forum. I cannot fault anyone for not responding...... nor will I judge as we are all volunteers. On the other hand, I have noticed a disturbing trend....... no one wants to hear the message: They want free stickers and t-shirts. While I agree on getting the message out any way possible, the campaign cannot bear the cost of constantly handing out free stuff. When I discuss the issue of a possible (if very small donation) with the organisers, they are never heard from again.

I have also noticed quite a negative attitude towards Think Bike and I am not sure what has caused this as I am a fairly new-ish member but it feels like it comes from a while back. I don't agree with the negativity but because I don't know where it stems from it is difficult to suggest ways to counteract it. The only thing I can think of is to go out there as Think Bike members and behave in a manner that is befitting of the biking community. So no judgement, no "I'm better than you" attitude just helping out where you can and setting an example for others

Cubby
16-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Think Bike is us, everybody! The only way events take place is if somebody with a passion and drive takes the initiative and arranges something. Banner days used to be pretty big with many people getting involved at bridges throughout Johannesburg and Pretoria, at the last one I'm not sure if we managed to man even one. Try calling for volunteers, I did on Think Bike Facebook where we have over 13 000 "members", I got two responses. People unfortunately are willing to spend time posting on the forum or Facebook, but when it comes to putting their money (time) where their mouth is :dontknow:.

Just for interests sake, who would be willing to give up one (or more) Saturday morning a month to go out and hand out leaflets, approach younger riders at malls or even approach centre management to ask if we could set up a stall for a morning in their malls?

Add you name here, and let's see what we can do. Give an indication of your geographic location.
- Cubby
-
-
-
-
-

colyvon
16-02-2015, 04:09 PM
We might be getting involved in an event near the end of March, I will be having a meeting soon to discuss our participation, out Krugersdorp side. Who would be willing to give up a day or even a couple of hours for a fun filled day with fellow Think Bikers and other bikers in general? Some of us are unfortunately marshalling that day, but any Think Bikers not involved with anything that day, I will be posting details soon.

Cubby
16-02-2015, 04:49 PM
We might be getting involved in an event near the end of March, I will be having a meeting soon to discuss our participation, out Krugersdorp side. Who would be willing to give up a day or even a couple of hours for a fun filled day with fellow Think Bikers and other bikers in general? Some of us are unfortunately marshalling that day, but any Think Bikers not involved with anything that day, I will be posting details soon.

Unfortunately :? :scratch:

colyvon
16-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately :? :scratch:
unfortunately, because it would be lekker to be able to get involved in this myself and I can't be in two places at once. I've committed to one, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to do the other.:tongue3:

Tour Biker
16-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I will be willing to sit a entire day, at least once a week, Sundays, at our new filling station with new Stee.s restaurant and promote TB not only for Motorcyclists but also for cyclist enthusiasts and interested motorists. Route 62 is a popular tourist route with many motorcycle travelers as well as bicycle tourists on narrow roads. (Without those yellow lines.) The awareness is needed here as a few years ago R 62 was home to the tragedy when a bakkie driver negligently overtook a truck in direct sunlight and hit a pack of bicycle riders outside Outdshoorn. Many cyclists died on the scene and many sustained serious injury.

I can imagine sitting under a TB banner, with my bicycle and bike, to display both as on tour to get enough attention.

I am interested and willing and gladly offer to help, where its needed.

Pyro
17-02-2015, 12:38 AM

Noticed :(

They would much rather start something on their own (if at all) than support TB.

spirit
17-02-2015, 06:53 AM
I have to disagree, there is an interest in Think Bike, there is just not enough people to participate / interact in that interest.

We do the gear drop off point at the Pta/Limpop Toyrun every year, 2013 - we did the sticker thing as the peeps who went meant to do got a bit lost.

For 2014, Safron sent me DNR stickers, bumper stickers and the pamphlets, I ensured that our kids promoted TB, by giving out, selling the stickers and pamphlets.

We eventually gave a bikeshop from Nelspruit and another from Limpopo all the bumper stickers and leaflets. Helps when you have a very pretty young girl manning that table.

We had requests for membership and t-shirts, referred all to the forum and website.

So there is an interest in biker safety, even if it is just started to chat up the very pretty young girl manning the table.:tongue3:

So if we do the gear drop off again this year - will ensure young Collby will be more au fait with TB.

AMZ
17-02-2015, 06:56 AM
I have to disagree, there is an interest in Think Bike, there is just not enough people to participate / interact in that interest.

Therein lies the problem.

spirit
17-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Therein lies the problem.

Indeed, none of our kids are bikers, yet they got on with it. Their reward.... lunch! Love our slaves!:wink1:

Tour Biker
20-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Like they said in the old army days: "Don't volunteer for anything and if you do, you'll end up doing everything or you will be ignored." Do the silent testimony... If you ride with a TB sticker, ride responsible. If someone ask you about TB, answer positive and don't take your bad hair day out on TB. These day's public interest consist of the wallet and politics. Every one for himself and the Higher fellow for us all. I miss the good old days!

Stranger
20-02-2015, 02:28 PM
There has been a significant loss in momentum for the campaign. We need younger blood, methinks.

I agree, younger and less fat.

AMZ
20-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Darn! That excludes me! :gkim2:

theRéhann
20-02-2015, 05:57 PM

The correct term is "younger and leaner".

Grunt
21-02-2015, 12:28 PM
The correct term is "younger and leaner".

Same thing, but more eloquently put. Anyway means that I have to go and stand aside with the overweight oldies.

AlexJ
21-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Same thing, but more eloquently put. Anyway means that I have to go and stand aside with the overweight oldies.
thats no excuse Grunt you guys can sit at the stalls in the malls :tongue3::thumbright:

AMZ
21-02-2015, 12:51 PM
thats no excuse Grunt you guys can sit at the stalls in the malls :tongue3::thumbright:

Nobody will see us in the stalls.

Tour Biker
22-03-2015, 04:04 PM
This thread got me thinking, and some others as well! Sitting in a remote part of rural South Africa is not an excuse any more! Something from nothing became my passion, my passion became action, my actions became rewarding! My attitude changed, I changed! I now believe, if you are alone in Pofadder or even Petrusville, you can make a difference! If in a big city like Cape Town or Johannesburg, the bigger the reward!

AlexJ
23-03-2015, 09:29 AM
@tour biker to truer words, never say you alone can't make a difference every bit help promote our campaign :thumbright:

Tour Biker
31-05-2015, 08:49 PM
This was a big thread in giving live to the Banner days happening. There are other events as well and what I'm trying to do is to publish as much events as possible. Create a event, even if you are only one guy that wants to ride a mountain pass. Give a picture, date, time and place and let me publish your event. The more events, the more viewers, the more viewers, the more participants, the more participants, the more members, and so on. Having active events one can start contact for sponsors and so on. Get it? Please create you unique event, even if your alone in some lost and forgotten part of the country! Watch this link and see how TB can grow!
http://www.zabikers.co.za/events/category/safety-awareness/