PDA

View Full Version : So when last did you have a critical look at your riding style?

THE MOOSE
30-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Just thought about it the other day. I have considered my own riding style in a serious way twice this year.

First, when I got involved earlier this year. I have taken over certain responsibilities with the job and these, combined with representing TB have changed my riding somewhat. On the careful side, i.e. a little bit slower, a little bit less aggressive, splitting slower.

Secondly, when I returned from Europe. After 19,000 klicks on a fully loaded GSA, two up I just enjoy riding single a hell of a lot again.

Time to slow down a bit again, I guess. A lot depends on my daily mood as well.

How do you do it?

RyC
30-09-2014, 11:03 AM
I try and evaluate my riding as much as possible.
Yes my speed is largely based on my mood (someone ticks me off I get outa there, better than get involved), but I try and keep a cool head as much as possible...

I try and look at other riders and weigh up what they do. If they make mistakes I make sure that I do not make the same and in the same breath I try and be a better rider (trying to be a good example at least).

Yes I need to learn more (although I've been on beginner, intermediate and track day courses one must NEVER stop learning) but riding (commuting daily) is not just about skills. It is about attitude as well....

I like riding my bike, I want to ride my bike. In the same breath I take riding seriously (it is my life in my hands) and try and get as much enjoyment out of it as possible :thumbright:

Aquaman
30-09-2014, 11:41 AM
It can be argued that mood has a lot to do with one`s riding style at any given time.
I ride moderately cautious most of the times. Then, other times, Mr Hyde pops out..but I must admit that riding a slowish cruiser helps a lot to shackle the odd irresponsible moment...

Stranger
30-09-2014, 03:33 PM
I am irresponsible all the time, it's how I ride :CoB:.. every time I try to "ride nice" something bad happens

BikerMom
30-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm splitting daily with my Tourer on the e-toll disaster from the west to the east, 50km's one way. The fact that it has very wide mirrors, regulates me generally to the advised 20km faster than the cars. You still have time to avoid the guys changing lanes without warning, at that speed.

The emergency lane riders come roaring past. At those speeds I regularly see emergemcy riders down, and they have usually done it to each other!

( There are times the little devil on my shoulder eggs me on.:wink1: )

Road Rage
01-10-2014, 07:31 AM
practice practice practice the basics .... and then practice some more ......... emergency braking, emergency swerves etc.

you can never practice these skills enough ... and you never know when you will need them

THE MOOSE
01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
practice practice practice the basics .... and then practice some more ......... emergency braking, emergency swerves etc.

you can never practice these skills enough ... and you never know when you will need them

Oh no we agree on something...

Road Rage
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Oh no we agree on something...

bugger :duh:

hei ew
01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Some days i ride defensive
Other days i am scared and nervous .

All i know is , i'd rather be driving a car . less stress and no need to use the ol brain.

Road Rage
01-10-2014, 03:45 PM

All i know is , i'd rather be driving a car . less stress and no need to use the ol brain.

Erm .............. then maybe it's time to hang up the helmet?

Yazed
01-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Erm .............. then maybe it's time to hang up the helmet?

Hang the rider....?

Yazed
01-10-2014, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=hei ew;1113818]Some days i ride defensive
Other days i am scared and nervous

We all have our days when every movement just feels off. Well ..I have them anyway. Lucky for me I travel against the traffic but it does get hairy at times, mostly when I get standing or very slow moving traffic. I've started the practice of trying to ride the way its been written up by "THE PACE". By trying to create that space around yourself, its actually amazing how little you have to touch your brakes during a ride. I try to sit behind each cage who doesn't give way... for a few seconds, and most of them notices me and then gives way for me. I also try and thank each one with a brief stint on my hazards. In this way I'm actually enjoying my commute more. there should be a post somewhere on the forum that carries the link for the Pace.

Pyro
01-10-2014, 11:54 PM

I don't know how often you drive, but on my route the car based stress relief wears out quickly.
The days I hit traffic that lengthens my 45 minute bike commute to 1h30 makes riding seem worth it quite quickly.

I quickly grow bored and drive more aggressively over time in the cage. Peak speeds might be lower, but my situational awareness just isn't as good in the car and I have found myself zoning out if traffic is crawling.

I'm seriously weighing up whether I should buy a car to replace the one my SO wrote off recently, or just suck it up and ride all the time.
I do have the option of keeping the 250 in that case which is a much calmer commuter, but my main concern is rainy days.

We all have our days when every movement just feels off. Well ..I have them anyway. Lucky for me I travel against the traffic but it does get hairy at times, mostly when I get standing or very slow moving traffic. I've started the practice of trying to ride the way its been written up by "THE PACE". By trying to create that space around yourself, its actually amazing how little you have to touch your brakes during a ride. I try to sit behind each cage who doesn't give way... for a few seconds, and most of them notices me and then gives way for me. I also try and thank each one with a brief stint on my hazards. In this way I'm actually enjoying my commute more. there should be a post somewhere on the forum that carries the link for the Pace.

I'm not sure how the pace applies to commuting, but I also try to approach things reasonably.

Drivers can check behind them so often, so giving them a decent time to respond is just fair. The majority of drivers will try to make a reasonable amount of space if they are aware of me behind them. Approaching at +40 over the average gives them no time for this though. By them time they notice you, you are on top of them, so by the time they think and react you would have passed already.

The actual time difference between riding super-aggressive and simply filtering through is insignificant really and definitely not worth my skin.

I avoid music because it does affect my mood and my mood definitely affects my riding.

Cubby
02-10-2014, 11:47 PM
The actual time difference between riding super-aggressive and simply filtering through is insignificant really and definitely not worth my skin.

If more riders would realize this, they would be far safer. I get traffic at Rivonia and William Nicol in the mornings, and on a bad day my travel time is about 5 minutes more in the morning. Is 5 minutes worth trying to split at 20km more than traffic or jump into the suicide lane, not at all, yet how many morons do that every morning.:duh:

dave31
09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I bought an OMB again :badgrin: But seriously there are too many idiots on the road to take chances so I have quit the aggressive riding style and tried to chill out as much as possible.

I have been fortunate that in my almost 30 odd years of road riding I have only had one off... and I have no intentions of growing that number. Have seen a couple of nasties happen in front of me due to speed and idiocy and the pain and expense that goes with it. So thanks but these old bones dont heal like they used to.

And there is always still a track to ride is I feel the need for speed :thumbright:

hei ew
10-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Wel said dave