PDA

View Full Version : SL - sorry, not for me

THE MOOSE
29-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Coming home yesterday, splitting between the cars I passed a biker pushing his machine on the suicide lane. I was a tad fast and was way gone before I could make an effort to assist. Went off at the next offramp, turned around and stopped on the other side behind the concrete barrier (between W. Nicol and Malibongwe). I thought he ran out of fuel but he had carb problems and his battery was completely gone. So I told him to wait and I will tow him. All of that about 18:30, peak traffic going on. Did another loop and stopped behind him, got the rope out and by the time I was about to hook him, his neighbour arrived in a bakkie. We decided to rather load the bike on the bakkie as it is still safer than towing and luckily the neighbour had a half ramp to load the bike, those little buggers are heavy and you have to work rather careful not to interfere with traffic, which goes past at incredible speeds and incredibly close.

What I realised is when you are busy in the SL, how fast cars and trucks really are when you are at a standstill and how limited your space is, which usually looks quite big. A human becomes rather insignificant opposed to all the heavy metal moving at high speeds around you. Furthermore, some drivers just don't pay attention and make such an exercise interesting, to say the least.

I will continue to stay away from the SL and only use it exceptionally when necessary. The pics don't do the situation justice.

Silvrav
29-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Very true Moose. SL is not a kiddies playground. Thank you for stopping!

Hover Ho'
29-01-2014, 08:40 AM
:pale: Eish no, I also stay as far away from the SL as possible. Big ups to you for stopping!

Road Rage
29-01-2014, 08:52 AM
:dontknow: erm ............... you were going to tow a broken down BMWobbly :laughcry::dontknow::duh:

Hover Ho'
29-01-2014, 08:57 AM
:dontknow: erm ............... you were going to tow a broken down BMWobbly :laughcry::dontknow::duh:

No dear, you need glasses. This is Moose's "BMWobbly" which was going to be used to tow that "other" bike :roll2: Nice try though! :thumbright:

Wild Woody
29-01-2014, 12:39 PM
To the C.O.B. for going out of your way to assist a fellow biker :salute::thumbright:

CycleJunkie
29-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Big ups to you for helping. SL is scary as you say.

FH
29-01-2014, 04:33 PM
I propose an amendment to the TB constitution :dance:............if the COB helps out in rush hour traffic.......he gets an 34.76% pay increase in 2019:salute: