PDA

View Full Version : Cycleride4 Madiba

Phoenix
14-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Cycleride4Madiba

Sooo last weekend I said to myself, self, next weekend you are going to sleep late as the marshalling duties have come to an end. Ja right. Thursday I get a call from WBro to contact Mthunzi. I contacted him and he informed me he is organising a cycle ride from Madiba’s house in Houghton to His old house in Vilakazi Street in Soweto. He had 70 cyclists confirmed at this time. This was at 14:50. Posted on the forum and held thumbs, toes and anything else that I could cross for marshals.

We had seven marshals this morning at the meeting point. We left the meeting point to meet up with Mthunzi and his merry band of cyclists. We arrived at their meeting point and the 70 confirmed cyclists have grown to about between 150 and 200 cyclists. As I see this I go oooooo shhhweet we can do this. Ghosty did the briefing and off we went.

The cyclists stopped at Madiba’s house to pay their last respect. We departed from the house in Houghton and started on the route which took us onto Jan Smuts and over the Nelson Mandela Bridge, and with a couple of twists and turns we arrived at the house in Vilakazi street. On route there, we had no problems even with the traffic lights out at one very busy intersection.

After everybody took pictures and chatted we left Vilakazi Street and headed back to Houghton. At the Old Edwardians sports grounds we stopped the traffic for the cyclists just to see they are going the opposite direction towards Madiba’s house in Houghton. I later found out the TV interview was not done in the morning so they had to do it after the ride.

SAPS asked Jadd to man their post near the house so they could go and get some refreshments. I think anybody who wanted to enter that street with a weak or very good excuse decided not to as at that intersection it was Jadd, RiaanHar, Ashley Hay, ghosty, Cubby and myself. Quite intimidating I think.
A well-deserved pat on the back to the team, ghosty, Jadd, Colyvon, Ashley Hay, Cubby and RiaanHar for a job well done.

WilliePr
14-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Look like you guys had a good time. Would have loved to join.

well done

WBro
14-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Awesome result Phoenix, ghosty and Team.

24hr turn around time. Idea - planning - route recce - performance.

Great reviews from the participants and the SAPS and JMPD units appreciate the meal break provided by you guys and gals at Madeba's home too!

Cubby
14-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys, was an awesome morning and it is a great privilege and honor to be part of a great bunch of merry men and ladies. I would have loved to do the ride to union buildings and had a difficult debate around doing the union building or RSR track day, track day won as it will assist to improve riding skills. To the marshal's doing the ride to union, have fun and stay safe.:salute:

AMZ
16-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Well done guys and guyettes!

Stranger
17-12-2013, 11:10 AM
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: