PDA

View Full Version : Oh hell goes to hell, yeah!

AMZ
24-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Oh hell, as we rolled toward the week of 15 to 22 April. It seemed to me, that the modern day Think Biker believes, in their heart of hearts, thatbwe can do anything. I can see it. The Chief of the SA Navy approaches us and ask that we escourt the SAS Aghulas from Cape Town to the SANAI base in the Antarctic, sinking a Japanese whaler or two on the way and our response is: "No problem. How many bikes do you need and when do we leave?"

We entered the week and as I did a stock take of people requirements I went to hide in my dark corner. With my head in my hands I used my fingers, toes and toes on the paws of a few dogs to calculate.

- Mzansi Tour: 20 per day for 3 weekdays, then 30 a day for two weekend days.
- Zwartkops Scrutineering: 4 - 6 on a weekday, then 4 - 6 on a Saturday.
- Zwartkops Gate: 2 - 3 on a Saturday.
- MTB Mountain Challenge: 6 a day both weekend days.
- Club 100: 4 for Saturday.
- Cycle Lab: 4 for Saturday.
- Dougladale Funwalk: 9 for Sunday.

This was going to be one heck of a problem! Oh hell!

Then it started. Call from the other side of the mountain. We have bikes, we will come help and so, we had three Capies up here. Call from the Blue Bullish side of the Boerewors Gordyn. We have bikes, we help and so, five from Limpopo came on board. People with the ink on their membership cards still wet said, how and where do we help and they did.

I can go on for hours, but I am not a typist and the Samsung keyboard is making me crazy, so I will try keep it short.

Mzanzi, Wednesday to Friday went well. Really well. The Scrutineers did an excellent job as always. Then came Saturday. Pouring with rain. I mean pouring. I arrived at Zwartkops at 06:00 to show the TB noobies the how and what. First Gollywoc and Tulip, Scrutineers steamed in. Ripped a gazebo out their car, set it up and lo and behold produced lots of coffee, saving life on the spot.

Shortly after them Richie, Alex and Lucy arrived. They would handle the gate on the day. The worst possible job any Think Biker can ever do and 100 times worse in the pouring rain. Handle the gate they did. Cash balanced to tickets and all that important accountancy type stuff. How the heck they kept the tickets, programmes and cash dry is a mystery to me. I know, they did not stay dry.

Inside, our scrutineers checked bikes and did their jobs at 100%, all in the rain and cold. Just so we all understand, as a scrutineering you are often on your knees, or even belly, on the ground. The now really, really wet ground.

Both cycle practises and the Mountain Bike events were cancelled due to the rain. Think Bikers travelled from those venues to come do duty at the Mzansi. I will never forget the site at the Schoemansville McDonalds as I stood there watching bike after bike arrive. It was a great sight.

I look back and I think, why oh hell!?

This past week was definitely, HELL, YEAH!

Thank you sounds so inadequate, but from myself and on behalf of the Board:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Crash
25-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Proudly South African :thumbright:

Oh, and should that call come in from the Navy, we can muster up a few Jet-skis in a hurry.
Just say when and where :p

Silvrav
25-04-2013, 07:49 AM
:thumbright:

EsioTrot
25-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Proudly South African :thumbright:

Oh, and should that call come in from the Navy, we can muster up a few Jet-skis in a hurry.
Just say when and where :p

Crash, I was waiting for that.:laughing9: :thumbright:

Stranger
25-04-2013, 09:44 AM
:salute:

Scorpius
25-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Now where is the like button :)

WBro
25-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Keep Calm

and

Call

ThinkBike!

Jadd
25-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Oom AMZ you are forgetting the Fun Walk that had to be marshaled as well on the Sunday, between the counting of the dogs paws and the Samsung keyboard you got confused.

Respect to all involved :notworthy::headbang:

AMZ
25-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Oom AMZ you are forgetting the Fun Walk that had to be marshaled as well on the

Sunday, between the counting of the dogs paws and the Samsung keyboard you got confused.

Respect to all involved :notworthy::headbang:

Eish. Indeed. Nine Marshals did duty there! My humble apologies. Fixed. Amazing that we managed the Mzansi tour, without letting a single customer down.

WBro
26-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Eish. Indeed. Nine Marshals did duty there! My humble apologies. Fixed. Amazing that we managed the Mzansi tour, without letting a single customer down.

Too true: We do not let clients/public/customers down...