PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision

richieacc
08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Last week I decided that I wanted to join the marshalling team. I sent off a PM and got some back and on Saturday morning, I was up bright and early to join the folks in Fourways. I witnessed the knightings of the three newest marshals and saw how close everyone is, and I thought, "Yeah, this is something that I want to be part of!"

Then the marshals went on their way, and AMZ briefed myself and Angel Face on what was to be done that day. We went to the two starting points, we went to each of the four intersections that are marshalled. We saw the marshals doing their thing, and I thought, "Yeah, I can do this!"

We rode around the Cradle, and stopped for a chat at the circle, I cannot remember what the circle is called, though AMZ told us when we were there, and I asked him again later, but it is displaced by something else that he told us while we were standing there.

He told us the tale of a cyclist who fell, and died, on that route. He told us that Devon was the first person on the scene and how it was the job of the marshals to secure the accident scene and ensure that other cyclists, bikers and motorists do not add to the accident. "Ok," I thought, "That makes sense."

Yet I could not get this tale out of my mind. I've been thinking about it ever since. I wonder, if I were to be in the situation that Devon was in there, would I be able to keep my s**t together, or would I freak out? AMZ told us in his briefing that there would be times when the lives of the other marshals would be in our hands. I realise that in such a situation, many people's lives would be in my hands. Though I heard it when AMZ was saying it, it only hit home later on Saturday night when I processed this tale that had been told. If I were to freak out in such a situation, I would be actively making the situation worse.

Last week, when I decided I wanted to be a marshal, the decision was based only on the good side of marshalling that I'd seen. I didn't realise that there was another, more serious side to it. Now I'm sitting wondering if I'm strong enough for that side of it. I realise that I cannot have just the nice side. If I take this on, I take it on completely, with 100% commitment. The nice and the unpleasant.

And I realise now why the marshals are such a tight group. They've been through s**t together, and come out on the other side.

I took the decision very lightly last week. Now it weighs very heavy on my heart and my mind. I need to think this through carefully. Just thought I'd share that with everyone. I'd appreciate any feedback that could help me get clarity on this.

colyvon
08-04-2013, 11:57 AM
:notworthy: Respect Richieacc. No matter which way you decide, you have my respect. Not a decision to be made lightly as you have voiced so well.

AMZ
08-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Richie, the whole reason behind us starting the mentoring programme is to give you a bigger picture on which to base your decision. Whichever way you decide, your decision will be respected. Marshalling is hard work at times. Frustrating at times. Dangerous at times. Yet, almost always fun and being part of a team like this, is an awesome feeling. Think about it carefully and go on this coming weekends Introduction to marshalling Ride with Phoenix before you decide.

Also remember, our Marshalling structure allowes ample for inexperienced marshals to grow over time. Nobody expects a rookie, to operate at the level of a Head Marshal.

mabbez
08-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I miss marshaling :wha: ...
Good one Richie ...Haven't been here in a very long while .. Hope you guys are well! See you all soon(er)!

mabbez
08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Oh shoot my badge is gone... Clearly someone forgot to renew his membership ... (sorting it now somar nou:duh:)65636

Silvrav
08-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Well argued, and respect...

But remember, and consider, as AMZ said, you are not alone in this journey. There is a wide range of experianced marshalls that you can learn from.

Go with Phoenix the weekend and maybe attend a major or 2 and take it from there.

Mags
08-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Richie, the whole reason behind us starting the mentoring programme is to give you a bigger picture on which to base your decision. Whichever way you decide, your decision will be respected. Marshalling is hard work at times. Frustrating at times. Dangerous at times. Yet, almost always fun and being part of a team like this, is an awesome feeling. Think about it carefully and go on this coming weekends Introduction to marshalling Ride with Phoenix before you decide.

Also remember, our Marshalling structure allows ample for inexperienced marshals to grow over time. Nobody expects a rookie, to operate at the level of a Head Marshal.

Richie, I have a lot of respect for your thought process. I do however think you should take note of what AMZ said in his post - see bold parts. We have a new list of mentors who can take you trough the steps. Also, remember, Devon is qualified medically (Level 1 or so?), which obviously helps.

Good luck with your decision - whichever way you choose to go! :thumbright:

Mags
08-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh shoot my badge is gone... Clearly someone forgot to renew his membership ... (sorting it now somar nou:duh:)65636

We miss you!!!

AlexS
08-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I will be making my decision after this weekend. Going with Phoenix on Sunday to the Midrand route

Young@heart
08-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Last week I decided that I wanted to join the marshalling team. I sent off a PM and got some back and on Saturday morning, I was up bright and early to join the folks in Fourways. I witnessed the knightings of the three newest marshals and saw how close everyone is, and I thought, "Yeah, this is something that I want to be part of!"

Then the marshals went on their way, and AMZ briefed myself and Angel Face on what was to be done that day. We went to the two starting points, we went to each of the four intersections that are marshalled. We saw the marshals doing their thing, and I thought, "Yeah, I can do this!"

We rode around the Cradle, and stopped for a chat at the circle, I cannot remember what the circle is called, though AMZ told us when we were there, and I asked him again later, but it is displaced by something else that he told us while we were standing there.

He told us the tale of a cyclist who fell, and died, on that route. He told us that Devon was the first person on the scene and how it was the job of the marshals to secure the accident scene and ensure that other cyclists, bikers and motorists do not add to the accident. "Ok," I thought, "That makes sense."

Yet I could not get this tale out of my mind. I've been thinking about it ever since. I wonder, if I were to be in the situation that Devon was in there, would I be able to keep my s**t together, or would I freak out? AMZ told us in his briefing that there would be times when the lives of the other marshals would be in our hands. I realise that in such a situation, many people's lives would be in my hands. Though I heard it when AMZ was saying it, it only hit home later on Saturday night when I processed this tale that had been told. If I were to freak out in such a situation, I would be actively making the situation worse.

Last week, when I decided I wanted to be a marshal, the decision was based only on the good side of marshalling that I'd seen. I didn't realise that there was another, more serious side to it. Now I'm sitting wondering if I'm strong enough for that side of it. I realise that I cannot have just the nice side. If I take this on, I take it on completely, with 100% commitment. The nice and the unpleasant.

And I realise now why the marshals are such a tight group. They've been through s**t together, and come out on the other side.

I took the decision very lightly last week. Now it weighs very heavy on my heart and my mind. I need to think this through carefully. Just thought I'd share that with everyone. I'd appreciate any feedback that could help me get clarity on this.

Respect for sharing this Richieacc.

I have thought long and hard about becoming a marshall, and have still not committed myself for the very reasons you shared.

I do not do well in crisis situations, and I would hate to make a bad situation worse, because I failed to do what I needed to do.

I have the utmost respect for our marshalls.

mabbez
08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
We miss you!!!
I'll be back !!! #Schwarzenegger VOICE!!!!

Stranger
08-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Respect mate

Marshaling is not for every one, it is an aspect of Think Bike that is well respected but often thankless. It is the sense of community fulfilment that often draws a person into Marshaling. I have had and continue to have a full motorcycling life. I was called to Marshaling, a vocation if you will, it has become a part of my lifestyle. The responsibilities that come with it are part of that lifestyle and I give willingly.

An important part of Marshaling is to understand that we serve first and foremost. Everything else that is good is a by product of what we do. Our biking skills get better, our understanding of events, our interaction with people outside of TB, even our medical skills (The Rehann's course) all improve us as individuals who can bring those skills into an organisation that can make a difference. we can create awareness and we can save lives. It motivates us and fulfils us and brings us into a world of varying and vibrant personalities.

Even the unpleasant side of things brings a satisfaction of a job well done at the same time as belonging to a team that you can trust. I think there are more than a few Marshals that may find it difficult to fully explain why we do what we do, but underneath, we all feel the same, and we KNOW.

Hard work, yeah, learning curve, Yeah, but worth it, Hell YEAH

Much respect for airing your thoughts, should you become a Marshal I think we will be the richer for it.

Stranger
08-04-2013, 12:39 PM

and we look forward to seeing you again :thumbright:

colyvon
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Tune in next week to another exciting instalment of "Mark Saxon and Sergei in No Place to Hide"

AMZ
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I miss marshaling :wha: ...
Good one Richie ...Haven't been here in a very long while .. Hope you guys are well! See you all soon(er)!

Hey! How are you doing? Keeping well I hope?

Vixen
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Respect for posting richieacc. It is not a decision to be taken lightly.

My very first marshaling duty involved a fatal car accident, just close to what we call the Lion Park Dog Leg. It happened on a blind rise, and there was all sorts of mayhem. A regular road user had passed the accident, knew we were up the road, and came to ask us to assist while the EMS services were on the way. The team work that ensued was phenomenal, 3 of us went up to the scene, made sure that the motorists were aware of the hazard, and prevented another accident from happening. The rest of the guys 'held the fort' on the route, and made sure that the cyclists were kept safe too.
It was a baptism of fire!
I dont think any of us want to see the "bad" side of marshaling, but it is sadly the reality of what we do - but in doing so - we make a difference.

There is a lot more good, than bad, and just knowing that we do make an inherent difference to the cyclists is the most rewarding thing!

It truly is an honour to be part of the Marshaling Family

You will make the decision that is right for you, and as has been mentioned, whatever your decision is, it will be respected.

:salute:

Solstice
08-04-2013, 05:35 PM
My 2c..... the fact that you do not take this decision lightly speaks volumes to your character. It is exactly this kind of character that makes a good marshal. It is not always a fun and easy job, but it has it's rewards. As mentioned, you will be mentored and trained. Respect for your post.

AMZ
08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
My 2c..... the fact that you do not take this decision lightly speaks volumes to your character. It is exactly this kind of character that makes a good marshal. It is not always a fun and easy job, but it has it's rewards. As mentioned, you will be mentored and trained. Respect for your post.

+1000

WilliePr
08-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Respect with your decision.

It is an honor to be part of such a great team.

Warwick
08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Respect...

There are not many moments in a lifetime when you can look around you and realise that you have achieved something special, with some special people. Marshalling for me has provided a few of these moments... at times in the most surprising ways.

You will be exposed to a group of people that are dedicated and passionate about what they do. Not to mention the amount of riding experiance to be gained. There is no riding school out there that can teach what one will experiance in certain situations while marshalling.

Good luck with your decision. As others have already said... the training is a gradual process designed in providing experiance and learnings based on your abilities and aptitude.

Phoenix
08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Respect...... So as you can see we do not only keep cyclists safe. As Vixen explained we do respond to vehicle accidents when we are on duty.

Will see you on Saturday. We can discuss all aspects of marshalling, training and what ever you want to know about marshalling.
@ Alexs. It is on Saturday not Sunday.

richieacc and Alexs you have PM's.

Hover Ho'
09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
richieacc, respect for the thought you're putting into this decision. As with deciding to ride a bike, nobody can tell you what the right or wrong decision is, it's up to you to decide. And as has been said before by others, whichever way that decision goes, we will respect it.

richieacc
10-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you all for your feedback, it has helped me a lot. Thanks, Speed Devil, for the phone call, that meant a lot to me.

I've made a decision, and it leaves me feeling quite sad. I've decided to not join right now, but I'm leaving the option open to me for the future. I'm in a very vulnerable space right now, undergoing treatment for PTSD, anxiety and depression. I'd rather not add to the stressors at this time. In the future, when I'm in a better space, I will revisit this decision.

I still feel really passionate about the marshals and what they do. I really WANT to be a part of this, but I cannot at this point in time. I'm really passionate about Think Bike and "Raising Awareness, Saving Lives" I'm going to look for another position of service within TB that does not carry the risk of being exposed to trauma. If any of you have suggestions for that, please air them.

Once again, thank you everybody for your words of encouragement and acceptance. It's really making it easier for me to make a decision that is good for me.

Much love to all.
R

Jadd
11-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Thank you all for your feedback, it has helped me a lot. Thanks, Speed Devil, for the phone call, that meant a lot to me.

I've made a decision, and it leaves me feeling quite sad. I've decided to not join right now, but I'm leaving the option open to me for the future. I'm in a very vulnerable space right now, undergoing treatment for PTSD, anxiety and depression. I'd rather not add to the stressors at this time. In the future, when I'm in a better space, I will revisit this decision.

I still feel really passionate about the marshals and what they do. I really WANT to be a part of this, but I cannot at this point in time. I'm really passionate about Think Bike and "Raising Awareness, Saving Lives" I'm going to look for another position of service within TB that does not carry the risk of being exposed to trauma. If any of you have suggestions for that, please air them.

Once again, thank you everybody for your words of encouragement and acceptance. It's really making it easier for me to make a decision that is good for me.

Much love to all.
R
Huge Respect on sharing your concerns and your decision. :salute:
Sort out everything that you need to and once done and you feel comfortable give us a shout.

There are plenty of area's to get involved in on TB. You can start a "take it to the streets" awareness drive and bug the directors to get the z-folds done so that we can tackle intersections one morning :thumbright:

Hover Ho'
11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
richieacc, tons and tons of respect for your decision. Think about getting involved in Education? Give me a shout then we can have a chat. Good luck with all your other stuff and you are part of a very big family now, so you know you can call on any of us if you need to have a cup of coffee, OK? I'm just around the corner from Greenstone (I know a very nice little place for coffee :thumbright:)

luv2ride
11-04-2013, 06:42 AM
I have huge respect for you for the level of thought you had put into this decision! Marshalling is a huge responsibility. I look forward to you joining when you are ready :thumbright::salute:

Crash
11-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey Richie.
I can't add much more to what's already been said - other than to say that you will battle to find a closer 'brotherhood' of like minded passionate people anywhere else.

You've made a decision based on wisdom - that will do you and the team well.

Suggestion:
Attend the events.

Help with the ground team.

Assist with traffic control in and around the start/ finish (low risk) to get to grips with it.

Work with support services.

Blog your experience.

Pull in support from the other members/ marshals etc. to help you with your personal challenges.

Give it 6 months of 'light duty' and then revisit your decision.

Most of all? Enjoy riding your bike.
Do it for you first... Then for others :)
Oh and most most of all?
Have fun with this :)

PM me your # if you want to chat to this 'old boy'.

Coachman
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
@ Richie,
I have been pretty scarce so I am not sure if we ever met but thank you for opening your heart up to us - we are all the richer (hee hee) for it!
My absolute respect and support!!!!!

Solstice
11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
You are more than welcome to come and hang around the trailer and make coffee and look after them marshal guys and gals.:wink2:

AMZ
11-04-2013, 09:00 AM
, undergoing treatment for PTSD, anxiety and depression.

Respect for your decision. At the risk of being obnoxious, few things work better for the above than being part of a team that makes a difference, so please don't disapear. As other invited you, join one of our other teams instead.