PDA

View Full Version : Is "thank you" enough?

AMZ
26-11-2012, 09:05 AM
It is November and most of you will agree that it should still be February. I have no idea where 2012 went. What I do know is that 2012 did not ride a Harley or OMB. Nope. 2012 was clearly on something way faster. It came. I blinked. It is gone!

November is traditionally a very tight month for TB. During the months leading to November, I often looked at the schedule and asked myself: "how will this group of volunteers, however passionate, get us through this months!?" Just a few "jobs" that needed doing, of the top of my head were:

The normal cycle duties for Club 100 and Cycle Lab, Johannesburg
The year end function for Cycle Lab
The Burger Newspaper Training Rides down in the Cape
The Momentum 94.7 40km ride
The main Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge
The Coronation Double Century Cycle Race in Swellendam, requiring our Marshals to get to Swellendam from Cape Town, a good 220km odd ride (one way), before even starting to marshal
The Limpopo Toy Run (Marshalling and Events setup)
The Gauteng Toy Run (Marshalling and Events setup)
The Cape Town Toy Run
The Burger Newspaper Cycle Tour in Stellenbosch
Critical Mass Ride in Johannesburg
Moonlight Mass Ride in Cape Town

Looking back on the past weekend I am thinking we have to thank all, but how many times can one say "thank you" and "awesome work" before it becomes boring? I don't really know, but we must be incredibly close at the moment. Thing is, what else can one say? There is this team of volunteers who offer up their time, their money, their effort, their energy and they do it for the TB cause and we have no way of showing our appreciation, except saying: "thank you all, what an awesome job" and right now, to me, it sounds so darned inadequate. It really does.

I look at the Gauteng Toy Run Marshaling:

Last year, it did not go too well. This year we committed that, from a TB Marshaling side, IT WILL go well. Two reasonably young marshals (young, but very experienced) were put in charge months ago. Devon and Phoenix as Event Captains ran with this from day one, attending meetings ad infinitum and often dealing with difficult people. Due to the very busy November schedule we were not drowning in marshals either, yet they pulled of a master stroke. Partly because they did a great job and parly because they were supported by a great team of Venue Captains and 2ICs.

When we lost both Venue Captain and 2IC for the same start venue, two marshals in Gollywoc and Tulip stepped up and took over, managing a flawless run. When no Metro escourt, nor paramedic back up arrived at one start venue, Colyvon and Phoenix shrugged, mumbled and continued managing their run without a hick-up.

The Mogale Metro Department offered an escourt from Mogale City to the end venue. They had one demand. One of our marshals had to be in their lead car. Poor Solstice got this job. I am not sure whether she volunteered or where press ganged, but there she was, riding shotgun on a cop car, off a Metro that very recently was not too happy with us. I am not sure what Solstice did to them, but it seems if TB now chose to burn Mogale City to the ground, it would be okay with their Metro Police. In fact, they would escourt us!

Thank you!

Thank you to the CMA Marshals who assisted with this one. You guys were awesome.

Meanwhile, back on the other side of the mountain with the Hex:

The marshals hit the road for Swellendam to marshal one of the big cycle races on the calender, The Coronation Double Century. Due to the long distances, they all left on Friday and stayed over to be ready for their jobs, bright and early Saturday morning. I was nowhere near, so I can't really say, but from what I have heard, the weather was horrific. TB Marshals and cyclists alike have described it as the worst ever. Yet, whil ethis was going on, the Burger Newspaper practise rides back in Stellenbosch were still being marshalled and other members like Safron and Az, got back late Saturday, got up early Sunday to erect the TB Stand at the CT Toy Run End venue and manned that al day, apparantly with the help of a goat-like Gautottie. Capies, I would offer you some wine as a thanks, but perhaps, some Vaaldam water would be a new taste for you. It must have been such a hectic weekend. Thank you.

Toy Run Events (Gauteng and Limpopo):

When I heard the initial plans from our Events Team, I thought them a tad optimistic. Thi sis a new team, only created a few months ago. I remember visiting them in Magaliesburg at their first ever event. They had, what looked like a paraschute pinned to the ground, held up by a broomstick, for a tent and not much more. What they lacked in equipment and stock they more than made up for in enthusiasm. From those humble beginnings they went to managing both the Gauteng and Limpopo Toy Run end venues. I saw four of them at the end venue in Gauteng and these guys were very busy. Some of them so new to TB, that the ink on their membership cards were still wet, yet they were working like Trojans. I did not get to the Limpopo event, but saw the pics and chatted to the PH. Between the Events Team and Bikers that Care (almost all TB members) they did one heck of a job. Erected something like 200 m2 of gazebos to provide shade to the toy runners who had arrived, all in 100% condition thanks to the Limpopo Marshals who did the marshaling duties on this run. Awesome stuff guys and guyettes. Thank you.

A very special thank you to Bikes that Care, who arranges the Limpopo Toy Run and who worked with the TB Events Team to make this such a great success.

I can go on and on and would, after an hour of tapping at the keyboard, still not said what needs to be said, so I will rather stop now. Heck, if I have to keep going, I will get tears in my eyes and type a list as long as my arm with names that deserves applause and I am looking for trouble mentioning names as I may forget some. Please don't see it that way. Basically, all of you did a sterling job. Thank you.

Please anyone who feels the need, don't be shy. You are welcome to ad to this thread.

Basically what I am trying to say is, "THINK BIKERS, YOU LOT ROCK!"

Congrats in order:

During November we also saw some Marshals being promoted to Senior Marshal. They are Colyvon, Phoenix and Wally in GP and Az in the WC. Congrats all. It is well deserved.

Also, I woke up this morning whishing I was Wave-Ryder! Why, because he received an immaculate Zook SV1000 as a gift from Dad and family on Sunday morning! Enjoy it safely Wave-Ryder!

LawMongrel
26-11-2012, 09:16 AM
:thumbright: Big thumbs up to everyone :headbang:

Elouise
26-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Thx AMZ, THIS is Think Bike attitude. Together we can do ANYTHING!

Hover Ho'
26-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I was in Gaap Stad during the planning of the event (and others) and just waltzed in to be in everybody's way. All I can say is that it's the people involved in all these events which makes me come back for more. I have worked with most amazing people and if I could have these individuals in a profit generating company, we would soon be listed on the JSE very quickly.

Thanks to all for involvement, both in Gauteng and in the Cape!

colyvon
26-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I think a special mention for those behind the scenes that actually make things happen and get the Gigs. And a big "THANK YOU" to Aunty Admin our own Mags, who keeps everything flowing smoothly.

AMZ
26-11-2012, 09:45 AM
I think a special mention for those behind the scenes that actually make things happen and get the Gigs. And a big "THANK YOU" to Aunty Admin our own Mags, who keeps everything flowing smoothly.

Good one. She may even forgive you for not having the REGISTER signed, now. ;-)

Silvrav
26-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Big up to all! it has been said, but I want to say it again....THIS is what TB is all about! Nothing better then the THINK BIKE family.

colyvon
26-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Good one. She may even forgive you for not having the REGISTER signed, now. ;-)

Register has been sent

Elouise
26-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Big up to all! it has been said, but I want to say it again....THIS is what TB is all about! Nothing better then the THINK BIKE family.You and Lawmongrel are totally new to all this and you guys were thrown into the deep end. You guys did us proud and the Events Team couldn't have done JHB without your help. :notworthy: to you 2, Julian and Oros.

AJV
26-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanx.....it is lekker to work with you oaks......!! I will do it again and again.....

26-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Coolbananas! Awesome, everyone! Congats to the new senior marshalls!

:noteworthy:

It is November and most of you will agree that it should still be February. I have no idea where 2012 went. What I do know is that 2012 did not ride a Harley or OMB. Nope. 2012 was clearly on something way faster. It came. I blinked. It is gone!

November is traditionally a very tight month for TB. During the months leading to November, I often looked at the schedule and asked myself: "how will this group of volunteers, however passionate, get us through this months!?" Just a few "jobs" that needed doing, of the top of my head were:

The normal cycle duties for Club 100 and Cycle Lab, Johannesburg
The year end function for Cycle Lab
The Burger Newspaper Training Rides down in the Cape
The Momentum 94.7 40km ride
The main Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge
The Coronation Double Century Cycle Race in Swellendam, requiring our Marshals to get to Swellendam from Cape Town, a good 220km odd ride (one way), before even starting to marshal
The Limpopo Toy Run (Marshalling and Events setup)
The Gauteng Toy Run (Marshalling and Events setup)
The Cape Town Toy Run
The Burger Newspaper Cycle Tour in Stellenbosch
Critical Mass Ride in Johannesburg
Moonlight Mass Ride in Cape Town

Looking back on the past weekend I am thinking we have to thank all, but how many times can one say "thank you" and "awesome work" before it becomes boring? I don't really know, but we must be incredibly close at the moment. Thing is, what else can one say? There is this team of volunteers who offer up their time, their money, their effort, their energy and they do it for the TB cause and we have no way of showing our appreciation, except saying: "thank you all, what an awesome job" and right now, to me, it sounds so darned inadequate. It really does.

I look at the Gauteng Toy Run Marshaling:

Last year, it did not go too well. This year we committed that, from a TB Marshaling side, IT WILL go well. Two reasonably young marshals (young, but very experienced) were put in charge months ago. Devon and Phoenix as Event Captains ran with this from day one, attending meetings ad infinitum and often dealing with difficult people. Due to the very busy November schedule we were not drowning in marshals either, yet they pulled of a master stroke. Partly because they did a great job and parly because they were supported by a great team of Venue Captains and 2ICs.

When we lost both Venue Captain and 2IC for the same start venue, two marshals in Gollywoc and Tulip stepped up and took over, managing a flawless run. When no Metro escourt, nor paramedic back up arrived at one start venue, Colyvon and Phoenix shrugged, mumbled and continued managing their run without a hick-up.

The Mogale Metro Department offered an escourt from Mogale City to the end venue. They had one demand. One of our marshals had to be in their lead car. Poor Solstice got this job. I am not sure whether she volunteered or where press ganged, but there she was, riding shotgun on a cop car, off a Metro that very recently was not too happy with us. I am not sure what Solstice did to them, but it seems if TB now chose to burn Mogale City to the ground, it would be okay with their Metro Police. In fact, they would escourt us!

Thank you!

Thank you to the CMA Marshals who assisted with this one. You guys were awesome.

Meanwhile, back on the other side of the mountain with the Hex:

The marshals hit the road for Swellendam to marshal one of the big cycle races on the calender, The Coronation Double Century. Due to the long distances, they all left on Friday and stayed over to be ready for their jobs, bright and early Saturday morning. I was nowhere near, so I can't really say, but from what I have heard, the weather was horrific. TB Marshals and cyclists alike have described it as the worst ever. Yet, whil ethis was going on, the Burger Newspaper practise rides back in Stellenbosch were still being marshalled and other members like Safron and Az, got back late Saturday, got up early Sunday to erect the TB Stand at the CT Toy Run End venue and manned that al day, apparantly with the help of a goat-like Gautottie. Capies, I would offer you some wine as a thanks, but perhaps, some Vaaldam water would be a new taste for you. It must have been such a hectic weekend. Thank you.

Toy Run Events (Gauteng and Limpopo):

When I heard the initial plans from our Events Team, I thought them a tad optimistic. Thi sis a new team, only created a few months ago. I remember visiting them in Magaliesburg at their first ever event. They had, what looked like a paraschute pinned to the ground, held up by a broomstick, for a tent and not much more. What they lacked in equipment and stock they more than made up for in enthusiasm. From those humble beginnings they went to managing both the Gauteng and Limpopo Toy Run end venues. I saw four of them at the end venue in Gauteng and these guys were very busy. Some of them so new to TB, that the ink on their membership cards were still wet, yet they were working like Trojans. I did not get to the Limpopo event, but saw the pics and chatted to the PH. Between the Events Team and Bikers that Care (almost all TB members) they did one heck of a job. Erected something like 200 m2 of gazebos to provide shade to the toy runners who had arrived, all in 100% condition thanks to the Limpopo Marshals who did the marshaling duties on this run. Awesome stuff guys and guyettes. Thank you.

A very special thank you to Bikes that Care, who arranges the Limpopo Toy Run and who worked with the TB Events Team to make this such a great success.

I can go on and on and would, after an hour of tapping at the keyboard, still not said what needs to be said, so I will rather stop now. Heck, if I have to keep going, I will get tears in my eyes and type a list as long as my arm with names that deserves applause and I am looking for trouble mentioning names as I may forget some. Please don't see it that way. Basically, all of you did a sterling job. Thank you.

Please anyone who feels the need, don't be shy. You are welcome to ad to this thread.

Basically what I am trying to say is, "THINK BIKERS, YOU LOT ROCK!"

Congrats in order:

During November we also saw some Marshals being promoted to Senior Marshal. They are Colyvon, Phoenix and Wally in GP and Az in the WC. Congrats all. It is well deserved.

Also, I woke up this morning whishing I was Wave-Ryder! Why, because he received an immaculate Zook SV1000 as a gift from Dad and family on Sunday morning! Enjoy it safely Wave-Ryder!

Vespa 1
26-11-2012, 04:28 PM
What The Oom Said!!!!:notworthy:

FH
26-11-2012, 05:25 PM
May I:confused3:

Point of order..........no matter how big the engine, car still needs a steering wheel to guide them wheels in the right direction:dance:

Without the TB Directors allowing the different substructures some leeway to try something different, this year would not have ended (almost over?) the way it has!
And as COLY said, the people behind the logistics of TB, the unsung heroes, you know who you are...putting out fires, drying some tears, loooong hours sorting out payments, registers, paperwork, lists upon lists of list of stuff that wasn't sorted that was on other lists......:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notwo rthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

And our fearless, (9 toed :confused3:) leader AMZ!!!!!!

YOU ARE A MIELIEBOER 1000!!!!!!

Elouise
26-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Point of order..........no matter how big the engine, car still needs a steering wheel to guide them wheels in the right direction:dance:

Without the TB Directors allowing the different substructures some leeway to try something different, this year would not have ended (almost over?) the way it has!
And as COLY said, the people behind the logistics of TB, the unsung heroes, you know who you are...putting out fires, drying some tears, loooong hours sorting out payments, registers, paperwork, lists upon lists of list of stuff that wasn't sorted that was on other lists......:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notwo rthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

YOU ARE A MIELIEBOER 1000!!!!!!+100000 00000

Jadd
26-11-2012, 09:16 PM

YOU ARE A MIELIEBOER 1000!!!!!!
Amen to that.
But remember behind every successful man there is a woman :rolf2:

colyvon
26-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Amen to that.
But remember behind every successful man there is a woman :rolf2:

Behind every successful man is a very surprised mother-in-law

Garth aka Gollywoc
27-11-2012, 06:13 AM
A real BIG thank you to all, also BIG thanks to the CMA marshals and BIG, BIG, BIG thank you to all who pitched up with bikes loaded with goodies without you this would not be possible.