PDA

View Full Version : Wet concrete!!

Sarel
19-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Thought I should share this with you peeps!!

I got the scare of my life on my way home yesterday at about 17:00.

I was lane splitting direction North on Voortrekker rd in PTA just about in front of Wonderboom Ho?rskool. I started noticing concrete gravel on the road surface specifically in the bike lane. Didn't make too much of it. The next moment I see a pile of concrete (about a wheelburrow full) right in the middle of the bike lane. Now I realised that I can't really do much due to the rather loose surface I'm on as a result of the gravel. My thinking was that the pile of concrete is dry and hard so I stood up on the bike to ease the impact on the suspension (keep in mind the VStrom can handle some punishment). Just as I brace myself for impact the bike starts snaking - the freeking concrete is wet!!!

The only thing that went through my mind was the 'better biking' section - just keep on doing what you're doing, don't make sudden changes. I believe it saved my skin. The bike started to settle down and I just kept going for my knees were jellow and I needed clean undies urgently.

Checked the road this morning - the spillage is app. 30m long and one and a half lane wide (propably been spreaded out by traffic)

I arranged with the roads okes to have it cleared a.s.a.p.

Mikie
19-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Ah Sarel I know how you feel, I saw the damn truck dropping that there, Di and myself came up there yesterday and I saw the patch, and a big fat patch it was, the truck was about 10m ahead, I had to push my way in front of the car on my left to avoid the fresh blob, and believe me on a superbike those stones are like marbles, kept the speed constant and made it through, the truck was still dripping small blobs as it went, peak hour traffic, cars backed up all the way down Vorrtrekker, not much i could do wrt informing the driver.

Jadd
19-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Mikie, company name on the truck?

KillerJ
19-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Great news that you kept your head Sarel and that you are okay bro. I hate these concrete trucks. Have to say the better biking section is a gem.

Ride safe my fellow TB members

theRéhann
19-09-2007, 12:27 PM
...just keep on doing what you're doing, don't make sudden changes. I believe it saved my skin. The bike started to settle down and I just kept going for my knees were jellow and I needed clean undies urgently...
I arranged with the roads okes to have it cleared a.s.a.p.
Well done, dude. On both accounts.

Mikie
19-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Mikie, company name on the truck?

Ah sorry Jadd, I didnt take note of that, was too busy concentrating on doding the "marbles" and splitting through the lanes, will ask Di if she got the company name, next time I will try take more note.

Mikie
19-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry Jadd, she didnt take note either :?

Linx
19-09-2007, 01:46 PM
And you know what's the worst guys?!

No truck with a weight over 5t are allowed across the mountain there. Also went over the marbles last night, luckily I saw it in time and just kept my cool.

Now, where's the Metro when they're supposed to keep trucks off that road. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jadd
19-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Mikie no problem, well done to you and Sarel for keeping it up