PDA

View Full Version : Driving with cellphones

Knuckles
24-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Yesterday afternoon on the corner of Constantia an Jim Fouche, a woman in a white Tat bakkie caused me to test the brakes on my FJ. All because she was talking on a friggen cellphone. Of course she was very annoyed at my reaction with all the arm waving and gestures.
I know I wont do it, but I would like to take that cellphone and crush it on the road.

puf
24-08-2007, 08:33 AM
My cousin was killed in his cage last Saturday.
The cow that hit him was typing an sms.

Mikie
24-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear abotu your loss Puf :(

Richardvz
24-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah Puf, sorry to hear about your loss.

On the cellphone thing I have noticed a few things about people who use thier phones and the tell-tail signs that they aren't paying attention. In my experience, most people who SMS are women, men mainly talk.

Then look about for the vehicle not staying in their lane, they kinda 'drift' in their lane. First sign.

If they are SMSing then watch their heads. They will look up for a fraction, then look down, as if looking for a pen or something they may have dropped. then they will drift again. If they are talking, watch their hands, not many people can use their phones or talk without using their hands. Big tell-tale sign.

I don't go near these cats when I am on the bike. If you hoot they look at you as if you are a w@nker. Sometimes I politely knock on their window and show them the :thebirdman:

But they still don't get it. So I have no idea what the solution is. When I was in London last month, using a cell phone while driving is a ?500 (almost R6500.00) fine. But people still do it.

They should invent little things in cell phones which detect weather the person is driving or not, and then the whole phone explodes taking the head off the driver.

Anybody an inventor?

RONMAN
24-08-2007, 11:19 AM
really sorry to hear about your loss puf.

Richard is spot on on the weaving thing. I see this almost every morning in the traffic. If they ignoring other vehicles on the road, what will make them take note of bikers??? Very sad to think that an sms means more to them than a persons life. Where are the cops when you need them??

puf
24-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Where are the cops when you need them??
Normally in the car behind - on the phone.

Tourer
28-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree with the exploding bit! The most dangerous drivers are okes in 4x4's on their cell phones

Can we not make public arrests? The most amazing thing is that all these offenders get aggressive if you do anything!

Lucky Luke
28-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Come now 'Tourer', thats a dangerous generalisation to make. I drive a 4x4 so that i have less damage to my cage when i nail guys like you. :D

PS: For all the others, before this becomes an issue, I AM ONLY JOKING !!!

I know there are sensitive viewers out there, and i am a biker/motorcyclist too

Richardvz
28-08-2007, 01:43 PM
LOL @ Lucky.

You have a good sense of humour. I hope your 4X4 is white (so you don't see the scratches). It's easier to see blood stains and wash them off too...I saw it on CSI...

Crash
28-08-2007, 01:50 PM
:laughing3:

Will you motorbikerists please stop this ??? I nearly choked on my coffee !!!

slowpoke
28-08-2007, 02:11 PM
lucky, hopefully you have lekker bullbars (for knocking cyclists around) and extra spot-lights (to be used on bright 24/7) fitted, otherwise you wasted your money on the big 4x4 ;) ;) ;)

Lucky Luke
28-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Awww shucks guys, :D my 4x4 is dark green, does not show any blood marks, and i nail them dead centre from behind, just to see them fly over the hood and land comfortably in the roof top tent, no harm, no foul. sic. :badgrin:

CTP, you could seriously damage your keyboard with coffee all over it, not to mention the mess to clean, and choking on coffee would be a sad way to go :!:

and slowpoke, we just put the bicycles on the back rack and pick up the cyclist.... Hmmm, i sense some strife here, if there are bikers, motorbikerists and motorcyclists, are there cyclists and bi-cyclists ? :o

Linx
11-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Must agree, you get some real stupid and mindless idiots out there.

Was in the cage to work yesterday and on my way home on the N1 North, got a guy with a silver Corsa pick-up, reg nr: VRN017GP talking on his cell with the right hand and pointing and waving with the left as if the other person can see his handlanguage and understand better. So I can only assume what he's using to control the steering.

Then, not only does he talk on the cell, his right brake light is out and he doesn't even bother to indicate, weaving and taking gaps through traffic, probably bacause he couldn't afford the optional extra indicators when he bought the bakkie.

DaCat
11-09-2007, 07:23 AM
So I can only assume what he's using to control the steering.

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny man... it's probably too short to wrap around the steering wheel anyway :p :D

BTW, welcome to TB Linx, lekker avatar 8) ... any friend of Dogmatix is a friend of mine, Asterix rocks!! :thumbup:

CowGirl
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Yesterday was a bad day for bikers and cagers, I think anyway. Almost everyone was on the cell yesterday afternoon on my way back home. Us poor people who were not talking on the cell had a hard time dodging those idiots.

Not to mention that I almost got taken out by a female thing on Saturday, also talking on the cell. Luckilly I was awake and could avoid collision. Flipping biatch did not even stop talking eventhough she was fully aware of the fact that she almost took me out. (Both my kiddies were in the car too.)

DaCat
11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
:oops: ... I found a solution to this problem... and peak hour traffic issues... start work at 05:00 and go home after 21:00... see problem solved :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CowGirl
11-09-2007, 07:51 AM
:oops: ... I found a solution to this problem... and peak hour traffic issues... start work at 05:00 and go home after 21:00... see problem solved :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha Ha... Sometimes you can be funny! :lol:

Linx
11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Another thing I've noticed over the last couple of years since staying in PTA and travelling between PTA and JHB is that you get these people driving luxury vehicles e.g SUV, sedans, etc. They can afford the vehicle but can't afford a proper handsfree kit.

Damn, I drive a Mazda Etude and have a bluetooth headset that I use permanently when driving the cage.

It seems that we have a huge shortsightedness as pandemic in this country not to even mention consideration and courtesy!

rival
11-09-2007, 07:57 AM

And i thought i was the only one that uses this "master-plan"... :lol:

CowGirl
11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Ya how's that? You can afford a huge luxury car but not the cellphone majigy that you use to talk hands free in the car.

Linx
11-09-2007, 08:05 AM
So I can only assume what he's using to control the steering.

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny man... it's probably too short to wrap around the steering wheel anyway :p :D

BTW, welcome to TB Linx, lekker avatar 8) ... any friend of Dogmatix is a friend of mine, Asterix rocks!! :thumbup:

Thanks DC, I know I haven't intro'd myself at the biker pub although I'm already part of the Kopdood and TB family!

Lucky Luke
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
J@*$^& guys :D You gotta understand that us 4x4 drivers can't afford the fancy toys like blueteeth etc, i mean, just consider the cost of fuel and then feel some pity for us :!:

Somebody has to keep the economy running and the fuel stations profitable, otherwise where would we feed the ponies :?:

Humour people humour, if you can't beat it, laugh at it ......

Trumpet
12-09-2007, 12:22 AM

And i thought i was the only one that uses this "master-plan"... :lol:

Even better plan - start at 01h00 & end at 15h00, that way you still get to spend time with the family!!

Linx
12-09-2007, 07:33 AM
And it never stops......

CowGirl, in another post you wrote about people that don't care for their kids, that's so true! Yesterday afternoon on my way home in the cage again driving through Sunninghill towards Allandale, I had this guy with a sea blue/green Hyundai Getz, reg nr: VDG 159 GP, infront of me driving while on his cell.

I was behind him for quite sometime and had lots of time to notice something's about this idiot. He has a "Baby on Board" sticker in the right hand corner of his rear-window, at that stage I started to think about what you wrote in your post. I didn't see any passengers in the car at first. This oke was on the phone for quite some time. Just before turning right into Allandale off the R55, I saw a head pop up from the backseat, guess what, his little boy.

He probably put the sticker up to expect people to consider him with a "baby on board", yet he loses that consideration with his selfish act.

Blerrie Aap!

CowGirl
12-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Blerrie Aap!

Etzakery!

puf
12-09-2007, 08:54 AM
these people driving luxury vehicles e.g SUV, sedans, etc. They can afford the vehicle but can't afford a proper handsfree kit.
It's worse than that. A lot of these vehicles come with blueteeth fitted. The pliks are either too lazy or too stupid to use the thing.