PDA

View Full Version : Not great riding - your views?

camperman
26-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd appreciate some riders with more experience than me (i.e. everyone - hehe) looking at this clip of two guys, one on a Versys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1naQISeDmg&NR=1

I think it demonstrates some bad techniques: poor or no changing, bad lines, rolling off in a turn and so on. I know the roads are a bit narrow here and there's no traffic but hey, that's what Laurence of Arabia thought as well...

Anything else? I'm trying to learn as much from others' mistakes - it's cheaper and less sore :)

I found the vid while doing research on the Versys. Very nice bike I must say - looks like I'll go for one as soon as I can.

Arcticflipper
27-07-2007, 09:43 AM
It's good having a look at some videos but in my opinion you wont really learn much until you find yourself in that same situation.

This is where training takes over.

Vids are normally only good for a laugh.

morpheus
27-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Yip, there are quite a few errors being made there.

Rolling off in a turn is a really big mistake that will bite you at some point. Riding bikes is a game of traction, as long as you have it, you are okay, it is when you start to lose it that things get hairy. What happens when you roll off, is that you actually lose traction as the engine braking begins and your rear tire has to work harder for grip. You can get away with it in some instances but it is a really poor habit to develop. Rather go into a corner slower and then begin applying more acceleration. Going in to fast is where most riders seem to lose it.

The Versys is a nice bike. I test rode one and I was quite impressed. It was a little buzzy over about 160, but other than that nice and stable. What I will say about it is, it really appreciates you dialing in the rear suspension correctly for your weight and riding style. After playing with the suspension the mid corner wallowing all but disappeared. It will also allow you to be a bit of a hooligan should the mood grab you.

Read as much as you can. Go to www.flamesonmytank.co.za for some tips and then you can also buy Proficient motorcycling by David Hough, it is a must have book in my opinion for anyone that rides. Some of the lessons in that book have saved my butt more than once. Why learn by accident when you can learn from those that have been there and done that?

Morpheus

camperman
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
The Versys is a nice bike. I test rode one and I was quite impressed. It was a little buzzy over about 160, but other than that nice and stable.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever get to 160 - on the track :)

What I will say about it is, it really appreciates you dialing in the rear suspension correctly for your weight and riding style. After playing with the suspension the mid corner wallowing all but disappeared. It will also allow you to be a bit of a hooligan should the mood grab you.,

Noted - thanks.

Read as much as you can. Go to www.flamesonmytank.co.za for some tips

Know it - love it.

and then you can also buy Proficient motorcycling by David Hough, it is a must have book in my opinion for anyone that rides.

Have it - love it.

Some of the lessons in that book have saved my butt more than once. Why learn by accident when you can learn from those that have been there and done that?

Indeed.

nico
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Get the versys. You will not be sorry.

camperman
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice nico and I see you are not biased at all :) I chickened out of financing after being approved so I have to wait a bit until I save up for one. Just about every spare cent for the next few months is going to the Versys fund.