PDA

View Full Version : Big up for Metro Police

Richardvz
20-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I know I might get a lot of flack, but this is what happened to me yesterday.

I was riding down Summit Road near the morningside Police Station yesterday evening about 5:30PM. There was a looong queue of traffic, So I thought I would practice my lane-splitting a little (as i am a novice I am usuallly a little nervous to do this). So off I went. I was so focussed on the cages all in a row, trying to pre-empt their movements, (and I must say many motorists did make space for me) that I wasn't really watching anything else. Then I got behind this X5 who saw me but didn't move over. No prob, i thought I would just wait behind it as we were approaching a traffic light. Light went green - nobody moved. So I though - ahhh, let's just go around the BM. Off I went. Across a solid white line. (oops)

Out pops a metro cop. (Big oops)

He was extremely polite and told me I went over the barrier line. I said he was right and must fine me, as I must learn my lesson. He asked for my license, I told him I only had a learners. I looked in my jacket pocket... it wasn't there. (biiiig ooops) He was very nice and gave me a lecture for not carrying my license. (once again he was right). He told me it was going to cost me R900.00 for licence and barrier line.

Well I just shrugged. It is what it is. I must feel the pain. He then reduced it to R100 on total and told me I was a pleasure to deal with, and it must be a warning to me. He saw I was married and said that if I don't adhere to the road rules, one day my wife will have to come identify my body somewhere. He said he had seen too much of that in his life, and I must really take more care to get home safely.

This guy should be the spokes person for Metro Police. I followed all the rules on my way home - and you know what? I enjoyed the ride much more...interesting... he was very convincing, well spoken, polite and a nice bloke all-in-all. But most of all - he was right!

Crash
20-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Nice one Richard !!!

What I've learned over time... is to be polite and take whatever he dishes out... arguing makes it worse...

Give him his 15 minutes of fame - he's only doing his job.

:thumbright:

Shado
20-07-2007, 10:02 AM
What Crash said :thumbright:

Good on you for admitting your fault ;)

Great_Gusto
20-07-2007, 02:11 PM
What I've learned over time... is to be polite and take whatever he dishes out... arguing makes it worse...

Give him his 15 minutes of fame - he's only doing his job.
Agree with Crash fully - that approach has gotten me off at least three speeding fines. Also helps to immediately get off the bike and remove helmet - makes talking easier.

drrsvr
20-07-2007, 05:29 PM
yes...but look at the psychology behind it......spietkops are all egomaniacs.....so giving them "respect" makes them feel important and powerfull and thats why you frequently get away with it......

anyway...i'm just biased...you all know i hate the kk! ;)

DaCat
20-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Agree with Crash fully - that approach has gotten me off at least three speeding fines. Also helps to immediately get off the bike and remove helmet - makes talking easier.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You were caught speeding?!!! WTF man?? Do you know how dangerous speeding is? ... and it's against the law :shock: :evil: