PDA

View Full Version : Never ride ....

MaDhAtTeR
04-06-2007, 10:23 AM
gripping the throttle without having your fingers on the front brake lever - learn how to roll on..
I nearly lost my fingers when the front brake lever contacted the ground and nearly amputated mine.....for not learning this and oh boy it's not fun...I guess I'll be learning how as soon as I get better.

Great_Gusto
04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
gripping the throttle without having your fingers on the front brake lever - learn how to roll on...
I have another view on this. Taking your fingers off the brakes when entering a corner reduces the urge to hit the brakes.

I once 'thought' I was too hot into a corner, grabbed the brakes, bike came up, I went straight and had my first big crash. The fact that the bike ahead of me went around the corner shows that if I had kept off the brakes and turned in, I probably would have made it... :roll:

So I say:

Approach corner and assess safe entry speed
Brake and change gear
Release brake and return fingers to throttle
Turn in
Apex
Accelerate appropriately while exiting.

Having your fingers fully on the throttle also helps if you get a bit of a tankslapper in the middle of the corner.

Who has other views on this? Will be interesting to hear.

morpheus
05-06-2007, 01:48 PM
When lane splitting or entering danger zones like intersections, it is best to cover the front brakes. Tests have shown that although the time to getting on the brakes was only a few milliseconds longer, it can make up to 3 meters braking difference depending on the speed. 3 meters can be the difference between living and dying.

As for cornering I agree with Tifosi and I disagree. In the beginning, you are right, when in trouble most people will tend to try and use the brake, of course if you are covering it, all the easier. However, when I was taught to trail brake and brake while leaned over, I just felt it was easier to still cover the front brake and that is how I ride most of the time.

One of those things you have to decide for yourself but I would say in danger zones, cover the brake. Although losing fingers is not pleasant to think about I am sure most of us will agree it is better than dying.

Morpheus