PDA

View Full Version : DEATH RALLY!!!!!!!!!!! ("Paradise" se m**r!!!!!!!)

Cassie
04-06-2007, 08:42 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Heard from my mom's friend last nite that FOUR people died at/going to the Paradise rally JUST ON FRIDAY!!!!!

TWO more on Saturday!!!!! :cry:

SIX people - of which he knows.......... could be more!!!!!

The worst crash was biker & pillion x 2 = FOUR people dead!!!!! (Head on).

WHY THE F@#$#*$@*K DO YOU PEOPLE STILL GO TO THAT RALLY??????????

IT'S COLD, WET, RAINY, ROAD IS OVERCROWDED, TRUCKS WITH TREE STUMPS ARE EVERYWHERE, ETC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Sorry, probably not my business if your hunger for winning a new bike is making you starve! And giving money to a person who's already SO damn rich! And spending money on a weekend away that could cause your death!

And the worst part: YOU KNOW IT!!!!! But you do it anyway!!!!

:x :x :x

Shado
04-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Last year the death toll was just as high :(

Tr0jan
04-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Family friend passed away on friday aswell (fell of the cliff after burst front wheel or something), will post as soon as i have more details.

Ang82
04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Nou is ek bly ons het nie gegaan nie......Donderdag aand het ek al my goodies gepak....die Katoom se paniers was vol blankies, klere...tent lekker op, alles....Vrydag oggend vir een of ander weird rede besluit die ander helfde hy voel nie reg dat ons gaan nie....Ek was natuurlik lekker moerig om alles weer uit te pak.....MAAR HEY, apparently was ek beter af by die huis.

GenXX
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Nou is ek bly ons het nie gegaan nie......Donderdag aand het ek al my goodies gepak....die Katoom se paniers was vol blankies, klere...tent lekker op, alles....Vrydag oggend vir een of ander weird rede besluit die ander helfde hy voel nie reg dat ons gaan nie....Ek was natuurlik lekker moerig om alles weer uit te pak.....MAAR HEY, apparently was ek beter af by die huis.

Ek stem saam.....

:thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Bigbird
04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Many years ago I used to attend rallys, but have not put my face near one for about 15 years now.
Damn I'm heart sore to hear this awfull news, but do you know what guys? It's not the fault of the rally organisers, the roads, the weather or the trucks, it's us bikers who are to blame. We are, in so many cases, just too bloody imature to be riding the kind of machines that the manufaturers are putting out. We continue to be so irresponsible by riding way over our limits (maybe caused by booze, road conditions, weather etc). A mature biker will adjust his riding to suit these conditions.
I, in all honesty, cannot say I feel sorry for those idiots, but I do bleed for their families. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pipe Dream
04-06-2007, 11:33 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: That's hectic...i have to agree with Big Bird to a certain degree...i saw some peopledoing really stupid things at the Buff, so i can imagine it happens at all Rally's. Still, not a nice thing to happen, hope all our people got back ok!!

IceCreamMan
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Many years ago I used to attend rallys, but have not put my face near one for about 15 years now.
Damn I'm heart sore to hear this awfull news, but do you know what guys? It's not the fault of the rally organisers, the roads, the weather or the trucks, it's us bikers who are to blame. We are, in so many cases, just too bloody imature to be riding the kind of machines that the manufaturers are putting out. We continue to be so irresponsible by riding way over our limits (maybe caused by booze, road conditions, weather etc). A mature biker will adjust his riding to suit these conditions.
I, in all honesty, cannot say I feel sorry for those idiots, but I do bleed for their families. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

+1000000000 ...absolutely true and echos the sentiments i was going to post , u saved me the effort ...

RONMAN
04-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree with bigbird. We choose to go to rallies and we choose which route to take and we choose how we going to ride. Hard riding in ET is for the very experienced rider, so you need to stick to your riding ability and not chase the faster guys. Sad to hear of a brother or sisters passing for no reason. I'm sure in many of these cases the accidents could have been avoided. Some of the bikers don't take time to rest and get the blood flowing. Tiredness and fatigue are you worst enemies on a long road, on a bike it's even more so. My 2c.

Great_Gusto
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Myself, StraighFlush, Gimpy and OrosMan went up to ET for a day-trip on Saturday and I must admit that the roads were very quiet in my opinion. We were expecting a lot more bikes on the road. We didn't see any really crazy riding either. :?

Sad to hear that so many were killed - I feel for the families.

Woefies
04-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Totally agree with you. +1000

Adventurer
04-06-2007, 03:38 PM
A mate of mine went, his comments: Every town he went through, Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Sabie, all the pub's parkings were full of bikes, during his ride down Long Tom Pass, several bikers passed him in corners, inside, outside, didn't matter, all on superbikes. This type of riding is insane. Some clown passed a freind of his on a corner on the inside, causing his freind to run wide, right off the road, not a serious crash, but a crash nonetheless, and where was the clown that caused it? Gone, didn't give a sh!t!
To his knowledge 9 people had died by Saturday night, what for?
This Rally should be banned!

gonedown
04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
A mate of mine went, his comments: Every town he went through, Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Sabie, all the pub's parkings were full of bikes, during his ride down Long Tom Pass, several bikers passed him in corners, inside, outside, didn't matter, all on superbikes. This type of riding is insane. Some clown passed a freind of his on a corner on the inside, causing his freind to run wide, right off the road, not a serious crash, but a crash nonetheless, and where was the clown that caused it? Gone, didn't give a sh!t!
To his knowledge 9 people had died by Saturday night, what for?
This Rally should be banned!

Its sad when bikers are taken out by other irresponsible bikers :( - but how do you get this message across to the irresponsible riders out there?? :idea:

Also heard about someone taken out by a bike turinging in front of him.

Perhaps the TB message should include more emphasis on biker responsibilty to other bikers as well as 4 wheeled vehicles.

Cant really blame the rally - all bikers know that those roads are tight and dangerous if handled irresponsibily!!

Its the irresponsible riders that cause the problem - and it happens at most rallies - someone dies on the way to or from a lot of other rallies - just more so at this particular one - and usually always irresponsible behaviour.

Adventurer
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Perhaps the TB message should include more emphasis on biker responsibilty to other bikers as well as 4 wheeled vehicles.

+100!

Jack Girl
04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't think you can blame the Rally for the way people ride - There are always gonna be the Hooligans out there. There are many ways to get to the Paradise but the guys and gals like Long Tom. If you don't like the idea of the Rally don't go.

I was there - must admit it was quieter than previous years, probably due to AMID, but it was a moerse lekker Rally as always! Great crowd of people great party!!

Thanks!!

BEASTY
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Long weekends also result in high death toll,dont just blame the rally.RIP.to the fallen.

Old timer
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Here's my 2c.

I enjoy the Paradise and went again this year and will next.Idiot riders will be found everywere.Drive/ride to your own ability and if needed to take another/safer route or differant times.Never push your luck in ET.Those bends can catch you out easily.
We cannot blame the organizers for bikers coming short.

I noticed that Simon Rally's are getting smaller all the time.Wonder why ?

IceCreamMan
04-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Not been on a simon rally for years now but would hazard a guess an say there are so many smaller (an much better)rallies these days that the really big rallies are becoming a bit "tired" .

DaCat
04-06-2007, 07:31 PM

I heard car sales are down cos of eNatis ;) :p :lol: :lol:

MadnohB
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Have not been to a rally since my return to motorcycling in 2004 and will therefore respect the views of the "happy" Paradise rally attendants.

The question to myself, however,...... is the rally worth 9 unconfirmed deaths and am I willing to put myself at the mercy of some idiots......the answer is never, never, never.

I acknowledge that accidents can happen any time and any place, that is part of the risks of biking. However, if a mechanism - in this case the Paradise Rally - is created and staged in an area where all sences and concentration are needed for riding in that specific area then people (read bikers) will make use of it......sometimes one needs to be protected from oneself. I'm sorry but the history in terms of fatalities of the Paradise speaks for itself and it's not a pretty story.

In the best of circumstances bottle and throttle don't mix too well, let alone in some twisties and sweeps the likes of ET. It's a fact that alcohol will be used / misused and if you therefore decide to stage a rally in the mountains then you are looking for trouble. I would imagine it's time for the organisers to take a serious look at the future of arguably the most "dangerous" rally in SA

IMHO no rally is worth the loss of just a single life

Old timer
05-06-2007, 08:28 AM

I heard car sales are down cos of eNatis ;) :p :lol: :lol:

Blame it on Simon :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cassie
05-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Have not been to a rally since my return to motorcycling in 2004 and will therefore respect the views of the "happy" Paradise rally attendants.

The question to myself, however,...... is the rally worth 9 unconfirmed deaths and am I willing to put myself at the mercy of some idiots......the answer is never, never, never.

I acknowledge that accidents can happen any time and any place, that is part of the risks of biking. However, if a mechanism - in this case the Paradise Rally - is created and staged in an area where all sences and concentration are needed for riding in that specific area then people (read bikers) will make use of it......sometimes one needs to be protected from oneself. I'm sorry but the history in terms of fatalities of the Paradise speaks for itself and it's not a pretty story.

In the best of circumstances bottle and throttle don't mix too well, let alone in some twisties and sweeps the likes of ET. It's a fact that alcohol will be used / misused and if you therefore decide to stage a rally in the mountains then you are looking for trouble. I would imagine it's time for the organisers to take a serious look at the future of arguably the most "dangerous" rally in SA

IMHO no rally is worth the loss of just a single life

+100000 !!!!!

Thank you! This was just the point I tried to make by starting this posting...

;)

Hawk
05-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I went and it was an awesome ride. Done over 1600 km. Trip all over. Luckily I went for a truck day before the time. Helped me allot with the approach of corners.

Hardtail
05-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Hmmmm interesting thread...
especially considering the website....
and all the members...many who i have met...
and their own views of biking...
also...the many bottle and throttle posts...

did any of you think of your own actions, before posting? of how you behave? of how much some of you (this is gonna get me flamed) drink before getting on your bike? of just how fast some of you ride? of how reckless some of you are?

my point is this...
You are on a bike...your decision to go to a rally...no-one is twisting your arm or throttle...no-one MAKES you go.

The location can be anywhere...if you ride like a d**s, then you will have a accident.

Blaming it on Simon Fourie, or the paradise rally or the location...you are a twit...Respectfully....it is your and every other bikers own choice...

for me, and i ride (dare i say it) a harley, the paradise is a must!. i do not do 200k's on long tom...i cannot, but even if i could...i am no rossi...i do not get ****ed on my bike...i do not pass so close to other riders that i cause them to get a fright...

if i can ride responsibly...then so can you and anyone else on a bike...

my 2c....like it, or lump it...ur choice...

Dirtt-y
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Here's my 2c.

I enjoy the Paradise and went again this year and will next.Idiot riders will be found everywere.Drive/ride to your own ability and if needed to take another/safer route or differant times.Never push your luck in ET.Those bends can catch you out easily.
We cannot blame the organizers for bikers coming short.

As the wife (Ang82) said. Woke up on Friday and suddenly felt that it was time to unpack, but as for the why Simon's rally's are getting smaller - Just ask DJFLOYD - he'll shed some light on that subject.....

Pipe Dream
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I went and it was an awesome ride. Done over 1600 km. Trip all over. Luckily I went for a truck day before the time. Helped me allot with the approach of corners.No wonder you had no problems, if you can manage a truck around there then a bike should be a walk in the park!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Oops, sorry, no more hi-jacking :D

Cronos
06-06-2007, 08:50 AM

did any of you think of your own actions, before posting? of how you behave? of how much some of you (this is gonna get me flamed) drink before getting on your bike? of just how fast some of you ride? of how reckless some of you are?

my point is this...
You are on a bike...your decision to go to a rally...no-one is twisting your arm or throttle...no-one MAKES you go.

The location can be anywhere...if you ride like a d**s, then you will have a accident.

Blaming it on Simon Fourie, or the paradise rally or the location...you are a twit...Respectfully....it is your and every other bikers own choice...

for me, and i ride (dare i say it) a harley, the paradise is a must!. i do not do 200k's on long tom...i cannot, but even if i could...i am no rossi...i do not get [pee'd] on my bike...i do not pass so close to other riders that i cause them to get a fright...

I agree with you that it?s your own choice and what ever decision you make, you will have to live with. What I don?t agree with is you accusing TB members of bottle and Throttle. TB?s whole out look on this has been changed and there is no more drinking allowed at TB events or on breakfast runs. I NEVER EVER drink when I know I have to ride home and most of the people I've met here so far, feels the same. You know how cool it looked to see two hard **** bikers, sit in the Spur and drink milkshakes after a long day, just because they represent TB?!?! The people here are generally a lot more responsible then any where ells. The campaign does reach and effect you, no matter how small it may seem. I believe you join TB cause you want to be safe and you believe, No matter how small, that you are making a difference.

The sad reality is that we as a campaign has to set an example and although every one can enjoy a dop, these same people will still look at TB and point fingers. I saw this happening at AMID where most of the guys there were from bike shops and most of them were on bikes and they were all drinking and watching to see if the TB guys were going to drink, just so they could point fingers.

CowGirl
06-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Not me, I drink until I can't walk no more then get on my bike and ride like a hooligan - NOT!!!

I have to agree with Cronos. I see a lot of hard ass bikers and TB members sitting in Spur drinking the official TB drink (pink milkshake), to set an example.

Also, read the top of the forum, what does it say?

Home of the Think Bike Campaign community and supporters. Please note: This is a public forum and as such values the principles of free speech. The views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the Think Bike campaign nor its members.

So even if there are plenty of bottle and throttle posts, they do not necessarily represent those of think bike members or the campaign.

I for one know for a fact that one of Crashe's most repeated speeches is "this is a TB event, we do not condone drinking and riding" - yada yada yadaa...

I doubt that anybode posting on this topic, posted it because they were drinking and riding. My point is, why should you stay at home and lie around on your couch when you can do what bikers do best and go cause K@K at rallies. Besides for that, if you do happen to be in an accident, it could have been cause by some idiot on a Harley who had to much to drink and then gets on it cause THEY CAN.

Anyway, my post is going no where (only in cirlces). I'm quiting before I become very lyrical...

Pipe Dream
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM

my point is this...

for me, and i ride (dare i say it) a harley, the paradise is a must!. i do not do 200k's on long tom...i cannot, but even if i could...i am no rossi...i do not get [pee'd] on my bike...i do not pass so close to other riders that i cause them to get a fright...

my 2c....like it, or lump it...ur choice... I agree....we've all at least drunk and ridden cars home, which is just as wrong, just cause we're in a car we think we're coccooned...we're not. Just remember, everyone has different constitutions and can handle varying amounts of alcohol...just rather don't drink and ride your bike, it's safer that way. plus if you get pulled over your back's covered. Home parties rule cause then you don't have to go anywhere and can drink and kuier as much as you like. :D

Diederik
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I was at the rally and enjoyed it, saw some dudes not riding their bikes to well but also saw 2 "almost" crashes where cagers were the cause

We like saying that if they ride like idiots(bikers) they must learn their lesson or if they want to drink and drive they must learn. Why do we assume the bikers were at fault. maybe they were, maybe they weren't. Were any of you there to confirm that the bikers were the idiots here. If not please stop always laying the blame on the bikers immediatly. Not everybody is irresponsible like a lot of you try to say. Not everybody becomes irresponsible when they go to the ET.

Hardtail
07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Flame me....i like the heat....

Original by myself:

Quotefrom cronos'reply:
What I don?t agree with is you accusing TB members of bottle and Throttle. TB?s whole out look on this has been changed and there is no more drinking allowed at TB events or on breakfast runs.

And my reply to u dude..:
Interesting...where did i point fingers at TB members? and why would i do that unless i have seen it (drinking to excess) firsthand? and why would you then qualify your statement by adding that "whole outlook has been changed" and "no more drinking allowed" unless this is/was the case..

You know what...i rest my case....and thanks for proving my point by the way....

CowGirl
07-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Is that not asking for a reaction???

Crash
07-06-2007, 07:59 AM
[Booming voice *on*]

No personal attacks please... keep this going as a healthy debate or leave it alone...

Personal attacks and flame wars are not permitted and those involved will be warned once and then could lead to further action.

[/Booming voice]

WD
07-06-2007, 08:03 AM

my point is this...

+ 1000000
Can't blame anyone for your own actions. Not only people who frequent this site, but anybody on a bike will reap what they sow. [sp]
You want to go to a rally and drink then do it - you want to go to a rally and drink and ride then be it on your own head - if you're going to kill yourself make sure you're alone and don't take any innocent peeps with you.

Agree with you Hardtail! :thumbright:

WD
07-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Hardtail is just being a hardass.

What Cronos was doing, was merely telling people that we do not condone it. If you can not see that, you must be blind. Besides, you were a registered member from when? Hocome we have not seen you at any of the events helping to get the message accross???

Probably because you are to busy critisizing and doing jack squat for the campaign :evil: :evil: :evil:

Calm down girl!
Hardtail has contributed a huge amount to this campaign. You don't know his circumstances.

Besides I can like to laaik him 'coz he rides a Harley :D

Hardtail
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Hardtail is just being a hardass.

What Cronos was doing, was merely telling people that we do not condone it. If you can not see that, you must be blind. Besides, you were a registered member from when? Hocome we have not seen you at any of the events helping to get the message accross???

Probably because you are to busy critisizing and doing jack squat for the campaign :evil: :evil: :evil:

LMAO!...
do not condone/do condone who cares?...my original reply dearie, was to point out that to criticise and call for the banning of a rally, because some people died getting there is ridiculous...like saying no-one must go to durban on holiday anymore, because people die in car accidents on the way there...

once again...think before you drink or in your case read (and understand) before you type....

oh, and as for from when i was a member and yadda, yadda, yadda...please! I was, attended, met, and saw for myself....

SlaSh007
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Hardtail, this is hard for me because in the past i would not control myself and would flame people and give my emotinal reply... Looking at what you have posted and the content, it looks to me as though you are poking for a reply and to be flamed. This is a debate, please keep it that way and try not to climb on to last nerve some TB folks have. We work hard and we play just as hard. Alot of us are very passionate about this campaign, so try not to poke unnecessarily.

I agree with you about the rallies organisers not being to blame, but i do think they need to sit down and have a look at what where and why... If the rally were to be moved to a "nicer" time of year, it would possible bring down the death tolls. Also it could be held over a long weekend so that us poor sods who have to work on a friday don't leave after work, tired and abused, to get there.

Many factors to look at.
If someone reacts emotionally to your post, stop, think, then reply. Enough is enough. even better, do not reply at all ;)

WD
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow Slashie well spoken boet :D
I also find this a good, healthy debate. I've only ever been to 1 rally and admittedly the jury's still out on whether I like it or not. What I do enjoy is being with a bunch of friends, what I don't enjoy is watching drunk hooligans on bikes. It scares the crap out of me. As I've said before I'm not a biker but a motorcyclist (sorry Buc :lol: :lol: :lol: )
I've heard of the Paradise and many people love it. I grew up in that area and I know how dangerous those roads can be. The organizers should take some responsibility for the time of year and venue. They know the road conditions aren't great that time of year.
I don't blame them for peeps drinking and riding though. That's just dumb.

Pipe Dream
07-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Jeepers SlaSh, sometimes you astound even me, lol...but I don't feel Hardtail's been attacking anyone, just stating the facts...sometimes the truth does hurt...I think this is a case for Ronman's "he without sin cast the first stone" phrase, well, not quite Ronman's but he did use it last ;) ;) Everything everyone says and does is for the campaign, so instead of feeling insulted you need to look at where it's coming from and be open minded about it! Don't take everything so personally

Scorp
07-06-2007, 07:42 PM
One fact is, people get too riled too easily, this is one of the reasons why we dont have guns strpped to our hips anymore.

Hardtail
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
One fact is, people get too riled too easily, this is one of the reasons why we dont have guns strpped to our hips anymore.
one good thing about people walking around with guns on hips was that people were a hell of a lot more polite...and there was also a hell of a lot less crime.... :lol:

Bigbird
07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
May I summerise........
- rally's seem to promote "hooligan behaviour" (Broad generalisation)
- There will always be immature bikers, no matter where and when.
- Rally organisers cannot be held responsible for the actions of these idiots.
- TB does not condone drinking and riding

There, now we are all agreed, so what's the hassle? ;)

Scorp
07-06-2007, 09:52 PM
one good thing about people walking around with guns on hips was that people were a hell of a lot more polite...and there was also a hell of a lot less crime.... :lol:

To true!
Another observation seeing as this fred is all about observing things (theory of relativity?) is that forum posts can easily be misconstrued if the poster is not conversant with showing emotion using the emoticons available.

Face to face communication presents one with the best chance at 'getting it' however what I meant and what you heard are often really two different things. No wonder people get a bit upset and take things the wrong way....we really cont have a chance....all we want to do is either save things or bash them?

DaCat
08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
May I summerise........
- rally's seem to promote "hooligan behaviour" (Broad generalisation)
- There will always be immature bikers, no matter where and when.
- Rally organisers cannot be held responsible for the actions of these idiots.
- TB does not condone drinking and riding

There, now we are all agreed, so what's the hassle? ;)

Very well summed up BigBird 8) :thumbup:

... and if I may add as well that Think Bike cannot be held responsible for individuals within the group as well (same applies to clubs)... I don't speak for the committee, but I for one don't represent TB as a whole... so if I ride like an idiot, or have a dop, ***** at me, not at the campaign then ;)

SlaSh007
08-06-2007, 08:44 AM
let's either get back on the topic at hand or move this thread. My heart skips a beat everytime i see the fallen section highlighted. This is not the place for a debate, it is for remeberance of our fallen brothers and sisters...

Thats that.

Francois
08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Fact is that if you go away to a meeting for a weekend at either a rally, Hotel, Pleasure resort or any other place and you are in a group you seem to "haak uit" and do things you would not normally do. This is where the problem comes in because you behave different than what you normally would and riding a bike while "haaking uit" is a recipe for disaster.

konrad
28-05-2012, 01:54 PM
after reading all the posts that was placed in 2007, it seems that nothing has changed. i was informed the unconfirmed death toll this year(2012) is close to 20. it seems the old old saying of "ride like a doo...,die like a doo...." is very true

Crash
28-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey! Nicely Konrad...

One of those who died this weekend was a mate... killed because someone did an illegal u-turn over a double-white line, on a blind rise :(

Wild Child
28-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Hey! Nicely Konrad...

One of those who died this weekend was a mate... killed because someone did an illegal u-turn over a double-white line, on a blind rise :(

Sorry Crash. Strongs buddy.

konrad
28-05-2012, 03:24 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. RIP to the friend!!!!

Nunique
28-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Konrad.

I know this is an old thread that you replied on but in all honesty I don't think half the posts made on this thread should be under the Fallen section, purely because of the following:-

I have on more than one occasion spoken to a family member of a fallen rider who has been on TB's Fallen pages (and they were not members).

I know that this is not a thread specifically aimed at one person but it is still accessible by non TB Forum members and as such I feel that one should be respectful to the fallen's family and friends.

Thanks.

Nunique
28-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey! Nicely Konrad...

Strongs Crash you and those that have lost friends / family are in our prayers.

Swallow
28-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Strongs Crash :sad:

Stranger
28-05-2012, 06:24 PM
AIII sorry Mate, strength to all involved

Stripes
28-05-2012, 09:11 PM
It is sad to read of so many Riders/Pillions loosing their lives. RIP and condolences to family and friends.

During my solo trip to Sabie last year I noticed the many crosses and reefs in the Long Tom pass. Talked to some of the locals and they said that during any Rally in the area there are more deaths, but there are many not related to any Rally. Some due to bottle and throttle and will show you I can beat you attitude but also due to riders not knowing their limits or those of the bikes they are on.

I put the blame straight at the feet of the riders. No bike is dangerous, you can park it on your premises for years and nothing will happen. Put a rider on it down the road and it becomes dangerous. I ride a lot during the year and almost got taken out a few times. What saved me was awareness, defensive driving and riding at a speed where I can take action to avoid accidents. Had I been riding faster I would long time ago also became part of the statistics.

Just yesterday I almost got taken out by a cager overtaking on double solid lines in a turn where he had no vision of the road ahead. Lucky for me Banditman taught me to always look for the road up ahead and evaluate traffic. When I noticed that the one cager was not where it should have been I slowed down to about 20 k's per hour and entered the turn as close to the shoulder of the road as possible. Treeas and shrubs made it a blind corner. The cager came around the bend on my side of the road and almost overturned his cage when he noticed me giving him the finger. Was I riding at a higher speed, I would not have survived the crash.

Be aware

Be safe

kamza
19-12-2016, 03:21 PM
and many more years later, rallies are still the same...so i don't understand when bikers say "back in our days biking was better" its all the same just got more rich okes who can afford to buy better bikes and ride them to rallies, afford drinking the whole night and get wasted, get women and ride back home in that state just in time for office on monday...its all the same after every rally there is... so what? ride what you like, do as you please at the end of the day when helmets go up at your funeral you won't be able to say what transpired up until the point of the crash, then we all discuss it here on the forums and on whatsapp/facebook but it doesn't really matter cause the people who do those things don't even give a rats ass about forums like these, or training or even getting licenses they got cash, they ride, they in clubs and they support the biking community by going to rallies....question is what are you doing differently from all those people?

I ask because 10 years from now someone will be reading this and thinking to themselves "so what can i do differently so i can avoid the same thing that has happened to those who have fallen
Lets give solutions and not club, organizers or location solutions but individual solutions because one day someone will go through this post and say i made it back from the rally because i found the solution on the TB forum...