PDA

View Full Version : kromdraai, this morning

Windpomp
22-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Me and the mates went riding out to magalies via kromdraai and maropeng.
The kromdraai road has a tricky turn which I noticed when I went there first time by car, and have seen a rider dump his R1 in the sloot.
This morning there was a dark bike lying in the sloot too, bloke was standing around on cell with his mate as company. Sorry to see dude, hope the bonie is repairable.

Edge
23-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Isn't this the same corner where the BASA guy got killed? At that time there was talk about putting up a warning sign, but not sure what happened....

Snoopy
23-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear, hope he's OK!

FYI: Here's a pic from the 1150R forum I frequent of a warning sign. (It's in Australia.)

http://www.thinkbikesa.co.za/userpix/599_mypic2844_1.jpg

Edge
23-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Exactly the sort of signage needed for that corner!

Will try and follow up on status of that initiative ;)

doc rip
23-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Questions:

1. Anybody know if Dept of transposrt will allow a sign like that to be erected and sponsored?
2. Cost for such a sign or signs?

Typhoon
23-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Questions:

1. Anybody know if Dept of transposrt will allow a sign like that to be erected and sponsored?

Very good Question..

Buccaneer
23-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Questions:

One of the bicycle team is involved in erecting signs - Ping Ruari?

GenXX
23-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone, I was involved with the BASA fallen biker, Nick, at the time, admittedly I did not have the time but I am putting in the effort now?.
I am waiting for Mr. Clark to return my call, he is from Johannesburg Road Agency.

Windpomp
23-04-2007, 02:52 PM
The bad thing abt this specific corner is that it doesnt seem that bad a turn. I took my mate (from CT) for a nite ride with the wife's CooperS, and we were going at a specific (and constant) speed, and we realised the corner is tricky....
However, you never ride fast on a road you dont know!

GenXX
23-04-2007, 03:21 PM
However, you never ride fast on a road you dont know!

Now there?s a statement that makes sense?. now try and educate the rest of the biking community and accidents will be a thing of the passed.

Other wise you are right, that corner can safely be taken at 140-160, the problem is, it is an ?adverse corner? {rally term, (! adv 6R) , single caution, adverse camber 60degree righthander} this gives you a BEEG SKRIK at speed, and you tend to what to bail out half way through.