PDA

View Full Version : SOME DAY, CORRECT TRAINING WILL AVOID CATASTROPHE

MadnohB
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Never before did this phrase poved to be more true than this morning.

We were in ET for Easter with the plan to return home today (Sunday). Early this morning I decided to have a quick last taste of what paradise has to offer. Hazyview to Sabie (via the biking beautiful yet notorious 22), Sabie to Whiteriver (excellent for a high speed stint), Whiteriver to Hazyview (nice sweeps).

22 Was still a bit wet in places after overnight rain but no problems. After a coffee at Woodsman I turned on the Whiteriver road just outside Sabie - a nice - partly blind - left hander as you enter the road. Just about in the middle of the corner, an idiot in a Tazz decided he went the wrong way and attempted a U-turn. Got a fright at first (read skrik my g%t af) and then the training automatically kicked in.

Assess the situation (quickly), look away from the obstruction and take evasive action - in this case, as the car was moving from left to right accross the road, I decided to swerve to the left.

Training 1 - Accident 0

Just about the same time, this fool saw me and turned his car back sharply to the left - directly into my swerve path. Remember, I was still in mid corner leaning the bike to the left so excessive braking was not on. Training again........get the bike upright first and fast and then do an emergency stop - that means once the bike is upright, squeeze (not grab) like hell and pray you will stop in time. (ABS proved it's worth but funny thing is, I could have swear when ABS was in full operation, it smelled like **** ;) )

Training 2 - Accident 0

The riding lines wide, narrow, wide ensured I had the biggest portion of the road to my right available in mid corner which allowed space to do all this "manewales"

Training 3 - Accident 0

I was even calm enough to afterwords exlplain (politely) to this dude how dangerous it is to make a U-turn in a blind corner.

He was very shaken and sorry and off course.......he did not see me untill it was too late ! (Must admit, I think it must have been frightening to have a charging K1200S threatening to cut your car in halve)

gonedown
08-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Well done - glad to hear nothing serious happened.

We lost a club member on that road last easter. :cry:

Crash
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Well done MadnohB !!!

Out of interest - do you think you would have been able to pull the same on the Blade ?
You'd be the best judge for ABS vs not ???

Crome
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Wow, great stuff Madnohb, glad to hear your Ok sir :shock:

MadnohB
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Out of interest - do you think you would have been able to pull the same on the Blade ?

Difficult to say but I doubt it. The first swerve manoeuvre would have been easier to execute on the Blade but the following emergency stop, with ABS assistance was definately better on the BM and more specifically the K, which is renown for its stopping power. I had about 2m between my bike and the car when I came to rest. I previously test the stopping difference between my two bikes at the 80km/h and it was 4m in favour of the BM or should I say in favour of ABS.

Minutes earlier on the 22 I thought to myself that I would have love to be on the Blade. When my skin was on the line, I was glad to be on the BM.

Without being cynical, there was a split second when I was thinking of putting the bike down and I thought - today you can thoroughly test the protection of your gear - I had full leathers on.

joe
09-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Well done MadnohB !!!

Wanted to ask the same thing ... What sort of speed were you doing when IT hit the fan :?:

Glad you are OK AND managed to control yourself and not hit the cage-driver ;)

MadnohB
09-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Was doing about 140 (not more than 150) as it was still mid-corner