PDA

View Full Version : Scooter with no lights

Sarel
15-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I saw a young girl last night at about 19:30 in a very dark street (in between small holdings (plotte)) with NO lights whatsoever working on her scooter.

Matter of fact, I see a number of scholars riding without lights, most of the times it happens to be girls on scooters. I've thought of catching up with them to bring this under their attention but I'm worried that they might get scared and try to get away with, possibly, life threatening consequences.

One of these days I will be reading about Miss XYZ who has be tragically killed in a bike crash. The article will also state what wonderful person she was and how dearly she will be missed by friends and enemies alike. No one will mention the fact that she had no headlights on or any ATTGATT for that matter. Neither will anyone spare a thought for the poor sod who has run her over and now has to face a life with feeling guilty for killing some poor innocent child!!

I don't want to rattle anyone's cage, but the 'Take it to the Schools drive' should urgently take flight!!

Pype
15-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Take it to the Schools drive' should urgently take flight!!

The ball is rolling on this and a agree with you school children should be made aware of the hazards of biking and the controls to be taken to prevent or minimise this.

Norval
15-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I've thought of catching up with them to bring this under their attention but I'm worried that they might get scared and try to get away with, possibly, life threatening consequences.

Ag come on Sarel, just admit it. You tried to catch up with them but you couldn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikie
15-03-2007, 11:22 AM
That is not good at all, but it isnt school kids alone, 2 nights ago driving home down Main road in a dark section I see a bike go passed, front light working, but hell, no rear light, I said to SO, he is gonna get rear ended and who's fault will that be.

Take it to the schools (TITTS :? ) is about to seriously get kicked off shortly

Sarel
15-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Ag come on Sarel, just admit it. You tried to catch up with them but you couldn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey boet, speak for yourself. I ride a real bike remember... :lol: :lol:

Norval
15-03-2007, 12:17 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Laughing Girl AKA Spoon
15-03-2007, 12:27 PM
No lights is a serious thing. AND no ATGATT? A very serious combination.

I think we have an epidemic of no ATGATT, but the lights is perhaps even more serious because as you say some poor cager bowling along will be had up for manslaughter if they kill a scoot with no lights (or even a person on the scoot with no lights) even if they didn't see them.

Dunno what to say. I see MANY scoots with no gear, but have never seen one with no lights. Thank goodness...

Here's to the TITTS ( :oops: ), I mean, Take it To The Schools campaign. LOL

:tshirt:

Pipe Dream
15-03-2007, 12:48 PM

I think we have an epidemic of no ATGATT, but the lights is perhaps even more serious because as you say some poor cager bowling along will be had up for manslaughter if they kill a scoot with no lights (or even a person on the scoot with no lights) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunno what to say. I see MANY scoots with no gear, but have never seen one with no lights. Thank goodness...

:tshirt: :lol: :lol: you're funny!!

Yeah, well, this is what i have to say...buy a farking Honda, the lights come on automatically when you turn the key :D Plus it has running lights

This is a serious problem, with cars too, it's amazing how many cars don't put their lights on in the rain and mist etc, especially silver cars - farking madness!!!

Sarel
15-03-2007, 01:25 PM

I think we have an epidemic of no ATGATT, but the lights is perhaps even more serious because as you say some poor cager bowling along will be had up for manslaughter if they kill a scoot with no lights (or even a person on the scoot with no lights) even if they didn't see them.

I think I should appoint you as my personal posting moderator :lol: :lol:

At least you got the point - refering to the facts not any other points... 8)

Cronos
15-03-2007, 01:26 PM
This is a serious problem, with cars too, it's amazing how many cars don't put their lights on in the rain and mist etc, especially silver cars - farking madness!!!

Try black cars with no lights on. One evening, I got home and was about to turn into my drive way, when out of the blue(black of night) This black BMW apears with no lights on and speeding up my street. I almost turned right infront of it, if it was not for the naughbours gate lights, I would of turned. As it passed, would you believe it - Mrs Bongani, wearing glasses as thick as cock bottle bottoms and sitting almost ontop of the steering wheel, with no headlights on! This was @ 19:45 - dark already.

Racey
15-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't if this is the place to post this but seeing as you are talking about TITTS ... I'm not a rider (almost a pillion) but when I think back to my school days I did some silly things and so did my brother. We just weren't informed about safety and at that age we weren't really thinking about it either. I had a friend who had a bike and at a party one night he was taking us for a ride around the block - no helmet, no gear! How stupid is that! My boet had a scooter and although he had a helmet, that was it as far as gear went. TITTS sounds like a fantastic idea and I really hope you can save some lives and educate learners - not everyone has parents who ride or are aware of campaigns such as Think Bike. Good luck. :)

ProfK
15-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Take them to the schools and see the response.

SauRoN
16-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Neither will anyone spare a thought for the poor sod who has run her over and now has to face a life with feeling guilty for killing some poor innocent child!!

Innocent my ass.

If they are old enough to be on a scooter, they are old enough to have a brain.

Stranger
16-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Bit harsh Sauron, not very diplomatic or sensitive. Bloody true though. Parents need a kick up the ass as well.

Longbow
25-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Could it not be that the kids on the bikes don't want to be seen for some reason.... maybe because they aren't supposed to be ridding their bikes or something so they got there friends to cut the lights for them :?