PDA

View Full Version : glitch in the bracken traffic lights

|-| /-\ \/\/ |<
24-10-2006, 06:38 AM
so there i am pulling up to a traffic light (heny alberts and swartkoppies) at 8pm. i put the bike into neutral and i watch the other light(swartkoppies side). another car has pulled up next to me and i see the light has changed to amber so i shift into gear ready to pull off next minute the light goes red and then green again (and there was no traffic), so back into neutral and i wait, guess what same story again. so now it goes amber again this time i leave it neutral and the light changes on my side so its a quick shift to first and i am off. just wanted to know has this happened to someone else at any other traffic light? and no i didnt miss the robot cos the car was still next to me and we where both confused

Great_Gusto
24-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Some of the traffic lights have vehicle sensors in the road. Use to happen when I cycled a lot - bicycles don't have enough metal to trigger the sensors and you end up waiting forever for a light change.

Cairbre
24-10-2006, 09:13 AM
some robots are programmed so that when the pedestrian light is activated it skips a cycle for one of the traffic directions... those robots are pretty damn annoying
i've never seen what you described though

nico
24-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I have reported it to the robot dudes

dehacked
24-10-2006, 10:17 AM
How does this sensor thing work? I've noticed those cutout sections at certain robots and there has been occasions when I eventually had to jump a red 'cause it wouldn't turn green for me.

Cairbre
24-10-2006, 10:52 AM
it's like a metal detector burried under the road. when your vehicle passes over it, it'll trip the sensor.
the problem with smaller vehicles like motorcycles is that the metal content is often not large enough to trip the sensor... and so you end up waiting forever, or at least until a friendly car trips it for you.
if you're in your cage and you fail to trip it, just reverse and drive over it a few times. you might get lucky. or just treat the light like a 4way stop... i'd advise against that though as the the traffic dept is becoming quite prolific with their static robot cameras these days