PDA

View Full Version : OLD JHB ROAD at 18:15 TODAY (03/10)

MadnohB
03-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Came past accident between Fireblade and Land Rover in Old JHB Road between Lenchen and Hendrik Verwoerd today at 18:20. Apparantly car made a U turn in front of the bike. I stopped but the rider was already gone to UNITAS hospital in Centurion. Got his name - Dawid Smit/th on the scene and drove to hospital but was unable to obtain info. If anybody knows him or some friends of his, please ask them to contact UNITAS hospital.

Arconan
03-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Yet again, people's ignorance strikes again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hope Dawid get well soon!!!

DaCat
03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Gonedown was there at the time of the accident. He called me hoping to find more info on the rider.

Really a ****ty one. I won't go into the apparant details, GD can do it if he wants to, but it sounded like the woman driver really tried hard to cause this ****ing accident :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hope the rider heals soon, sounded like a rough one :cry: :cry: :cry:

Strawbs
04-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Reading this sect of the Forum always gives me goosies...really not nice!
Get well soon Dawid!

Bonzai
04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I have just spoken to Unitas hospital. Unfortunately Dawid has passed away shortly after arriving at the hospital.

I asked them to phone his fiancee and send our symphaties. I have also asked them to please give my number to her and let her give me a call.

R.I.P. Dawid and my God give you wings to ride in the sky.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Asterix
05-10-2006, 06:44 AM
R.I.P
This must stopped now, I'm new in this game & starting to get spooked.

DaCat
05-10-2006, 06:59 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so sorry to hear it :cry: :cry:

WereWolf
05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
:cry: R I P :cry:

IT SHOWS AGAIN HUMANS don't think anymore or don't realise the "consequinces" when turning or making u-turns or just changing lanes... the sad thing here once again is that it's u and me who will suffer the most due to being so fragile... i hope she burns in hell :evil: :evil: :x

condolences to Dawid and his family :cry:

WereWolf
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Talking about u-turns there's not a week passing, each week on the road Ben Schoeman highway some cager or huge truck are stopping on the right fast lane and decided he or she must go to the opposite direction and make his way on the middle space between the highways to make that turn and by doing that can you believe the impact what it does to traffic and the almost 99 % chance of killing someone.....eish all over these highways are now cctv cameras but hey the control room doesn't pick anything up to go and kick all the living hell out of the ********... zjeee i'm really upset this morning hearing of another 2 bikers being killed.

DaCat
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
... i hope she burns in hell :evil: :evil: :x

Maybe a little on the harsh side. :?

... we all have to live by the decisions we make, and we don't always make the right call, it's reality and part of being human. This woman now has to live with the result of her decisions and actions, I doubt it will be easy. :( :( ... many lives affected in a moment's decision.

... could'a ... should'a ... had she waited, had she gone elsewhere to turn, whatever the possibilities now available, they are all too late. Same applies to the Dawid in this case... :cry:

I believe, in time, Think Bike will instill some form of awareness and change mindsets in everyone's attitudes, hopefully we will save lives and unncessary heartache. :( :(

RONMAN
05-10-2006, 08:35 AM
R.I.P Broe. :cry: :cry:

WereWolf
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
eish :( maybe it was harsh....... but DaCat i don't understand why it's so difficult for some to be aware of bikers, i mean gosh before i make any movement to turn or reverse whatever i make sure that hey it's clear doesn't matter what i have to do but i'm always aware, the day before yesterday on my way home a huge truck decided to change lanes without realy watching and his buddy sits on the side where he wants to go also he was looking at me and his bud the driver still changing lanes i was really P..d off and shouted press the hooter.. while he just looks at me... man at that point if he didn't went back to his lane i was probably history... but i was really upset if the truck driver would have stopped i would have smacked his bud first due to not warning the driver hey boet stay on your side..... :evil: :evil:

Edge
05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
RIP :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can't we campaign for concrete barriers/walls between highway lanes :?: They have them in some areas, but how many people have to die to actually get some action from the authorities :?: :?:

DaCat
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
....... but DaCat i don't understand why it's so difficult for some to be aware of bikers,

I hear ya mate and I feel your pain. :( Unfortunately, it's not just against bikers, it's just that we are soft targets really.

If you just have a look at accidents in general, I believe it's general arrogance and ignorance of the rules of the road... and the lack of policing and law enforcement that is to blame.

To give you an idea of what I mean... pedestrians have right of way at intersections and crossings, yet in SA a pedestrian fears for his life trying to cross the road, even though the "green mannetjie" is telling him it's okay to do so.

When I was in Germany, I was only thinking of crossing the road and the cages were already stopping. I was approaching an intersection at about 21:00, I see cage coming so I slow a little to time the cage coming past and then I cross, just like it's done here ... the driver stopped and waited for me :oops: ...um, oops, okay I'll cross first :oops: ... and all this is because if the driver bumps me he has big *** that no-one needs... ie. he abides by the law ... but this is also the country where the unrestricted spots on the autobahn where speed limits are non-existant.

... we see bad driving here and we say "It's the African way" ... including the cops, yet you don't have a number plate and you get fined. :?

... a taxi or golf using tghe emergency lane to overtake, taxis stopping in the middle of a major intersection to drop off passengers who are now left in the middle of the road ... yet you do 160 at 0600 on a Sunday morning on an open freeway and they arrest you for speeding :?

... the priorities are all ****ed up really :evil:

RONMAN
05-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Agree with you DC.

MadnohB
05-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Not in the least bit do I want to distort the legacy of Dawid. We honour you and you will be in our thoughts my friend.

Although none of us can change any of the tragic events of that horrible day, the best we can do is to analyse and learn from it. If the following can be of help to anyone of us, something good came from this tragedy.

Here goes.......

The bike was in a wheelie when hitting the cage. When taking off from the robot, the road in front was most probably clear. Likewise when the cage decided to enter the road from a service road - albeit by crossing a solid line - the road most probably looked clear from oncoming traffic as the headlight of the bike was now pointing skywards. Even after 100m or so the road should have still looked clear to the bike as sight was partly obscured by the upward position of the bike and the car's (a sand coloured one) lights was now pointing sideways accross the road.

Why both parties were in that exact spot on that exact moment in time, we will never know.....

My 2c

Wizzard
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
You know if only we could get EVERYONE to THINK BIKE before turning, crossing lines, U-turning etc .... it should just be a permanent thought to look out for bikes / bicycles/ other cars / pedestrians etc ... people are so busy worrying about the things they have to do - THEY JUST DON'T THINK OR LOOK....

Think Bike should be embraced by all road users - it could save their lives too!!!

TCS
05-10-2006, 10:46 AM
MadnohB that was exactly what i heard and yes a story always got two sides. Never the less tragic and thought are with the family. RIP

The Crow
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I asked them to phone his fiancee ...

:cry: .... Damn, his fiancee ....Ken jy hartseer en drama ...

MadnohB
05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks to "gonedown" for a fair bit of info on this case.

Can one of the Moderators please move this to " The Fallen"

Bonzai
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I have spoken to his fiancee. She is currently with her sister in Randfontein. The funeral will be in KZN. Phone me or PM me for details.

They (Dawid and Fiancee) has just moven in to a new home in Centurion. She can't afford the place on her own and obviously she will be needing some friends, support and money.

Now please peeps, I would like to ask everybody, that can, help in any way. She needs our help and support. I don't know her at all. She feels like family, coz her other half was a BIKER, and we are all family.

Please phone me if you can give or help or contribute in any way.

Fanx

Bonzai
082 309 3029

Bonzai
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Funeral Arragements for the late Dawie Smith

Tuesday 10 October 2006.
Time: 10:30
Service will take place in the NG Church in Paul Pietersburg.

His fiancee said that any attendance on Motorbikes would be VERY much appreciated.

For more info, please PHONE me.

Fanx

Bonzai
082 309 3029