PDA

View Full Version : And my conclusion is.....

Edge
13-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Daily I have to anticipate idiotic behaviour just to stay alive. What I am getting at is that despite headlights, despite my TB bib, despite flashing at potential dangerous drivers and pedestrians, I have to treat every intersection as if everyone but me has right of way, the same goes for every traffic light, side road or vehicle/pedestrian at the side of the road.

This morning on my way to work I had 3 assholes turning right in front of me in a section of around 2kms! Managed to avoid them all, and on the N14 Krugersdorp to Pta, had slow moving trucks (most mornings and afternoons lately) causing cagers who are peacefully sleeping behind the wheel to wake up with a start and swerve blindly to left or right. Scares the **** out of me some days!

I am all for education and awareness, and will participate enthusiastically, but at the end of the day my next ride depends on how well I am prepared and can anticipate the "unexpected" :( :( :(

Gunna
13-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Think you've hit the nail on the head there boet. Be ever vigilant, expect the unexpected and you should be fine.
I actually attribute my downs to lapses in concentration on my part... getting to cozy in cagers staying in their lanes and the like. Not expecting that cager to change lanes with out so much as a glance at the rearview mirror. Eina!

WereWolf
13-09-2006, 01:44 PM
i agree, i sometimes don't think you can aducate any cagers if they have never rode a bike before they'll never care, and that's the way i ride my bike realising that every road or a place where cars can meet will be a danger to me and i'm the only one that can and i can and have to rely on. Sorry to agree with you but sadly it's true.

Great_Gusto
13-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I have to treat every intersection as if everyone but me has right of way, the same goes for every traffic light, side road or vehicle/pedestrian at the side of the road.
That's the way I've always approached riding on the road - only way to stay alive.

morpheus
14-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi

If you read a book like Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, you will see that even veterans of riding, and I am talking 30 - 40 years, think that way.

When you ride, you don't have right of way, that motorist did not see you and if they did see you, they could care less because they are bigger than you. Once you ride like that, biking becomes a lot more enjoyable purely because you know your survival is dependant on you alone.

The accidents I have had could also have been prevented if I had just been a little more proactive in my concentration. It is always tough to admit when you are at fault in some small part but we all have a part to play.

BTW give that book a read if you have not already, very good and worth the money and time.

Morph

Bigbird
14-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Agreed, I got my bike licence in 1965, been riding ever since. I only ride with the attitude that everyone out there is trying to find a way of killing me. It's kept me alive, I've had my share of downs, but everyone was when I had let my defences slip. Just the other day I went down (gently) when I half avoided a J-walker, I wasn't thinking about Pedestrians at the time, I was yelling (to myself) about some cager who had closed the gap on me.
See I can't think of more than one thing at a time now days ;)

Rentia
15-09-2006, 11:38 PM
There is just no way that you can make everybody "think bike"!!

That is why it is important that you think on behalf of everybody else until such time that this campeign is SO BIG that EVERYBODY has no choice but to acknowledge bikers on on the road and respect them.

Volusia
16-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Okay guys, we have got to accept the fact that we have to think for ourselves, the motorists, the cyclists, the pedestrians and the animals when we are on the roads. It is rather difficult to enjoy the ride with so much on your mind, but I don't think that there is anything more we can do to make it safer for us.

I've had a few close calls myself, but nothing too serious. Mostly because I can't ride too fast and don't really like lane splitting.

Old timer
16-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Agreed, I got my bike licence in 1965, been riding ever since. I only ride with the attitude that everyone out there is trying to find a way of killing me. It's kept me alive, I've had my share of downs, but everyone was when I had let my defences slip. Just the other day I went down (gently) when I half avoided a J-walker, I wasn't thinking about Pedestrians at the time, I was yelling (to myself) about some cager who had closed the gap on me.
See I can't think of more than one thing at a time now days ;)

Yeah,been riding 31 years and also tells myself everytime I ride that everyone out there wants to kill me.
This sort of defensive thinking keeps me alive,I think.
I have noticed that lately its getting worse,there seem to be more traffic and more idiots.
:badgrin: I cant keep up kicking in doors and breaking mirrors :badgrin:

Meths
16-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm actually a "returning rider", having ridden, stopped and then restarted.
It's definitely gotten much worse than 25 years ago - and I agree - it's getting more chaotic by the day. For me that's the snafu - the unexpected is becoming common-place.

Be carefull out there, folk . . . remember that you gotta think for everyone else, not just for yourself.

(Bikers need to be better riders and drivers than your normal Joe Sleeper)