Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lets buy a bike!

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLeshen View Post

Maybe Ronin. Since the bike had his great owner who mastered it through its first few steps in life. I am not the bikes master in fact I become one with the bike when driving it and the bike does not own a master. We become one and will wander the roads free from any chains or authority (except the police and my wife but shhh). A drifter or wanderer. Fits a bike. And its a nice short name
    Ooh, I like. It fits the picture I had when I made a suggestion. Having said that, it's YOUR bike, YOU get to pick the name. Whether you want to call it Princess Luna or some other My Little Pony (don't ask how I know... Google it!), it's your choice. Though I think you're more of a badass kind of biker.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Soon to be CBX 250 hopefully
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Ooh, I like. It fits the picture I had when I made a suggestion. Having said that, it's YOUR bike, YOU get to pick the name. Whether you want to call it Princess Luna or some other My Little Pony (don't ask how I know... Google it!), it's your choice. Though I think you're more of a badass kind of biker.
    Hmm, funny enough I actually know who princess Luna is. I watched my little pony yesterday. Did not finish watching it but since I was a big fan of the original my little pony when I was about 4 or 5 years old and I loved horses I assumed this would be fun. Sadly the new horses looks more like pigs or some other animal-_-. Well I have to scope out future movies for my daughter to be which gives me a good reason to watch animations.

Regarding Ronin. I've been cutting the tar surfaces with my samurai sword gently the last few days. Only around the block twice most evenings. and Saturday and Sunday. Probably not even a total of 30min in the saddle but I get a good hang on the down shifting while keeping the revs up and enjoying the feel. I am still waiting on my gear though. need boots. The jacket and pants are definitely sorted. Good Berik suite that still looks brand new but the previous owner added 20kg's so he does not fit into it anymore. Just waiting on him to bring it to work. Will check his Shark S900C since he barely used it. If it looks bad or does not fit I'll probably buy a new helmet. He did say he have good quality gloves so will check how they look. The guy didn't spend much time on his GSX 750 and sold it for R5k more than he bought it.

Though I'm looking at around R2500 if I buy a new one. Not sure what to get.
    1.) The Bell qualifier momentum (black with neon yellow) - though I saw some bad side impact ratings on them
    2.) Shark S700 I saw some but not sure if it was older stock
    3.) HJC IS17 - Probably the best buy according to most reviews. 5/5 safery rating however I struggle to find places that stock them at R2500. They do range from that up till R3500. The problem is best deals I find is online. The western cape shops seems to be very overpriced from what I've seen -_-
    4.) Airoh Valour helmets - R2300. http://trac-mac.com/store/1119-airoh...e&orderway=asc

Boots - looking at around R1500 hopefully however best deals are also online. DMD
    1.) DMD 850 long touring boots (black) http://motohut.co.za/dmd-850-long-to...ots-black.html
    2.) Spirit discovery / Diora boots (this shop is close so could go try them on) http://www.smpsa.com/Boots.php

Anyways any tips or feedback on gear would be appreciated. I'm mainly doing homework online so base my decisions of this.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Hmm, funny enough I actually know who princess Luna is. I watched my little pony yesterday. Did not finish watching it but since I was a big fan of the original my little pony when I was about 4 or 5 years old and I loved horses I assumed this would be fun. Sadly the new horses looks more like pigs or some other animal-_-. Well I have to scope out future movies for my daughter to be which gives me a good reason to watch animations.

Regarding Ronin. I've been cutting the tar surfaces with my samurai sword gently the last few days. Only around the block twice most evenings. and Saturday and Sunday. Probably not even a total of 30min in the saddle but I get a good hang on the down shifting while keeping the revs up and enjoying the feel. I am still waiting on my gear though. need boots. The jacket and pants are definitely sorted. Good Berik suite that still looks brand new but the previous owner added 20kg's so he does not fit into it anymore. Just waiting on him to bring it to work. Will check his Shark S900C since he barely used it. If it looks bad or does not fit I'll probably buy a new helmet. He did say he have good quality gloves so will check how they look. The guy didn't spend much time on his GSX 750 and sold it for R5k more than he bought it.

1.) The Bell qualifier momentum (black with neon yellow) - though I saw some bad side impact ratings on them
    3.) HJC IS17 - Probably the best buy according to most reviews. 5/5 safery rating however I struggle to find places that stock them at R2500. They do range from that up till R3500. The problem is best deals I find is online. The western cape shops seems to be very overpriced from what I've seen -_-
    4.) Airoh Valour helmets - R2300. http://trac-mac.com/store/1119-airoh...e&orderway=asc

Boots - looking at around R1500 hopefully however best deals are also online. DMD
    1.) DMD 850 long touring boots (black) http://motohut.co.za/dmd-850-long-to...ots-black.html
    2.) Spirit discovery / Diora boots (this shop is close so could go try them on) http://www.smpsa.com/Boots.php

Anyways any tips or feedback on gear would be appreciated. I'm mainly doing homework online so base my decisions of this.
    Please do NOT buy any entry level boot. I replaced my Forma Pokers after 11 months. See if you can't spend R2500 odd and get Alpinestars Roam 2, helmets I'd recommend the Qualifier DLX.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    Please do NOT buy any entry level boot. I replaced my Forma Pokers after 11 months. See if you can't spend R2500 odd and get Alpinestars Roam 2, helmets I'd recommend the Qualifier DLX.
    Otherwise have a look at the Caberg range.

Biker
    Bike
    KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

I based my helmet options on the sharp rating (https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/), nothing under 4 stars.

From your list I'd go for the HJC IS-17 or Shark S700, good ratings and pretty decent graphics.

Also, I wouldn't recommend second hand helmets, you don't know if it was dropped or not - safety not guaranteed and why would you wanna stick your head in another persons sweat stains?

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the HJC IS-17 and Alpinestars.

Lets start shopping.

Anyways finally took some pics the weekend during daylight.

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Really looks good. Hope you enjoy many happy (s)miles together.

Biker
    Bike
    KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the HJC IS-17 and Alpinestars.

Lets start shopping.

Anyways finally took some pics the weekend during daylight.

Cool, can’t go wrong with either brand.
    Wow, looks in extremely good nick.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post

From your list I'd go for the HJC IS-17 or Shark S700, good ratings and pretty decent graphics.
    I have one of those, and after testing a number of different makes and models, this one fitted me the best. And it looks nice too.

Also, I wouldn't recommend second hand helmets, you don't know if it was dropped or not - safety not guaranteed and why would you wanna stick your head in another persons sweat stains?
    This is by far one of the most dangerous things you could do, buying a second hand helmet. I too highly advise against it.

Please do NOT buy any entry level boot.
    Good point. Boots can be the difference between walking away, or using crutches to go to your expensive operation. It also protects you in case your chain snaps.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks guys. Ok now a question.. Since safety is my main concern. A Fluo high-viz or white one? Unfortunately neither fits the bike but black and red except the Genesis colour but can't even find a medium online in other countries. Doubt I'll find one here.
    I'll try and fit one this weekend. Should be a medium intermediate average Joe.

I check the colour/graphics codes on FC-Moto to reference availability at shops here.

-White one (note the black one looks way better but safety... ).. https://www.fc-moto.de/HJC-IS-17-Ordin-Helm

-Fluo one... https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...S-17-Fluo-0003

-Red and black - actually looks bright but can't find these any ware... https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...7-Genesis-0002

Lorenzo one - white black red.. Saw one available but not down here https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...7-Lorenzo-0003

I use a black bike with black gear so considered throwing a Fluo-saftey construction vest over it if it should help?

My heart says the red and black - but no stock anyware
    my gut says the fluo one
    my wife says the fluo one
    internet says white sometimes is easier to see than fluo??
    The best overall choice may be the lorenzo one since its white with some black and red.. but my wife don't like the angel/devil 99 sign

Any other local places that may stock them in western cape?

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Mine looks like this: https://www.motardinn.com/f/6/69777_...o-99-white.jpg I love it, but it shows dirty VERY quickly, and I have to clean it every week or so.

I don't think the colour of your helmet would make that much of a difference. Rather get a reflective hi-viz vest/bib to wear over your jacket (and over your backpack if using one), and as per law always ride with your lights on. I often see the bike's lights first before I notice the colour of the rider's helmet.
    From your friendly cager

N00b
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Wow, what a neat ride!

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    Wow, what a neat ride!
    Dankie meneer.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Mine looks like this: https://www.motardinn.com/f/6/69777_...o-99-white.jpg I love it, but it shows dirty VERY quickly, and I have to clean it every week or so.

I don't think the colour of your helmet would make that much of a difference. Rather get a reflective hi-viz vest/bib to wear over your jacket (and over your backpack if using one), and as per law always ride with your lights on. I often see the bike's lights first before I notice the colour of the rider's helmet.
    That's the same one I've seen here. Honestly I do not really mind what colour the helmet is. I want black usually but it makes sense to be as safe as I can be.. If a Fluo one pleases my wifey then that helps in so many ways

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Sorry for all the questions but I have another regarding gear.

like I said I can get my colleagues Berik two piece leathers for R2300. They are in decent condition and no damage and he is too fat for them since he gained 20kg's.. They look similar like these just the male version I guess. http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.co...t---black.html

Now the jacket is a perfect fit. It may be a number to big but sits very comfortable and can add a hoodie underneath if I must. The pants however sits way to loose and the moment I zip the pants to the suit it feels too low at the knee guards. I doubt my friend will sell only the jacket for cheaper since it's useless to him and they should be together.

Will it viable to let someone use that pants to create custom fit pants or at least use the leather or padding?
    If I have to take both I feel its still worth it because I pay R2300 for aleather jacket. I doubt I will find a better jacket for under that price?

With the boots, gloves, helmet and the R2300 for the suit it comes up to a rather big sum already. Then additional pants will cost R1500 at least for textiles or the kevlar re-inforced jeans?

Any advice?