Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lets buy a bike!

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks Pirate.

Yes it just feels like a waste if I buy the leathers and cannot use the pants but my concern is will I get a better jacket for that price anyware? Protection wise mainly. I'm not worried about being too warm or waterproof. I commute the mornings and afternoons and when I eventually start driving in the rain I will get a high-viz rain suit

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

The best advice I can give you, is to go to a dealership near you, try on various jackets, check prices and have a chat to those guys. You have the time to do your research. If you didn't have time on your side, I would say buy now. But you have time, so get your info, make your decision and enjoy every moment thereof.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I ride with a metalize mesh jacket in summer which goes for around R1800 and a metalize adventure jacket in winter which goes for R2360. (Both at 6/5 XL)

Both have a good construction and decent protection (Have not put it to the test though). Wisdom would suggest helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants is the order to buy gear in. That said I am only now looking for boots after getting the pants as they tend to be on the higher price range and don't seem to fit me all that well.

Pants are xkulcha easy overs and just added xkulcha cargo pants. Both pairs needed to be custom made and go for around R2400 each.

Find a set that fits you comfortably.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks guys.
    @Pirate: Thats good advice however I don't always trust dealerships. Remember they want you to buy so obviously they will have 10 reason why not to take a secondhand leather jacket^^ I need advice from you experts on here before I walk into the lions den.

@zafroggy: I'm really not skimping on the gear and judging from the costs my overall gear will cost around R8000 - R9000 where I budgeted for R5k lol.

-Helmet: HJC IS17 helmet,
    -Boots: Alpinestars Roam 2 boots,
    -Jacket: Berik leather jacket if there is none better for R2300. I really cant afford 2 jackets so need one for every time so need one that can do it all except worry about the rain
    -Pants: I see some places sell Xkulchas overpants and jeans for R1600 or around that price. Probably won't find my size with my luck.
    -Gloves: I aim at anything around R500-R900. Rospas, Rayvens.. Alpinestars and RST seems to be above the budget.

I'm price checking the local shops for gloves and pants so have to work with those and go check them out in person. SMPA, Motorcycle-world, Tracmac and Madmacs .

In the end I went for way better/more expensive boots and helmet so I have to stick to the R2500 for pants and gloves.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    It would be hard to say for me, as I can't see the pants on you etc. and I don't have that much experience with pants.
    I've tested it tonight again. Actually it feels worse than it looks I guess. I took to photos and tested it around the block. Feels fine riding with the suit. I did not zip teh jacket to teh pants and have to pull the pants up rather high to ensure it fist ok on the legs. Please excuse the cheap AMA helmet ..just temporary before I go get the Is17 ^^

I know its probably an overkill for commuting but I can get it for way less. So when you guys see a noob on a 250cc with full leathers what is usually your thoughts?