Thread: Bike brand advice

Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape

Comment Bike brand advice

Hi there,

Im in the market for a different type of bike from the GS, just not having fun on it to be brutally honest

I have owned a fireblade in the past that I toured with and commuted, and so will be going back to the sportier type bikes(interestingly, I did manage to fit my camping bags etc on it perfectly fine).

I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXR 1000 and the Kawasaki ZX10R around 2011 models. Has anyone owned or ridden these fairly long distance and for commuting, had luggage on them etc(textile panniers etc)?
    I am just under 6 ft, so ergonomically I realise I will have to sit on each one to feel the fit, but perhaps someone has advice on this?

Also why is there so much hate towards the Kawasaki's in the biking world?

Any advice from owners or mechanics that have owned or worked with these bikes would be a bonus

Regards,

MS
    IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, DRIVE A CAR - ATGATT!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Why are you not enjoying the GS? Is it a performance issues? If so, you could consider the BMW S1000XR which is a similar bike to the GS in terms of touring capabilities, but with a 170HP S1000RR derived engine and frame. You could also look at the KTM range at something like the 1290.

Hate Kawasaki? Hate is such a strong word. Anyway, their ZX14 is a brilliant touring bike with mad performance.

Personally, I cannot see a GSXR or even ZX14 do the job for me, but that is very much a personal choice.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Hmm, I have ridden it for a year already and just don't get a kick out of riding as I used to on my blade. Also the maintenance,insurance and general upkeep costs of the BMW is starting to catch up with me.
    It's a great bike and all but not for me at the moment I guess.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Why are you not enjoying the GS? Is it a performance issues? If so, you could consider the BMW S1000XR which is a similar bike to the GS in terms of touring capabilities, but with a 170HP S1000RR derived engine and frame. You could also look at the KTM range at something like the 1290.

Hate Kawasaki? Hate is such a strong word. Anyway, their ZX14 is a brilliant touring bike with mad performance.

Personally, I cannot see a GSXR or even ZX14 do the job for me, but that is very much a personal choice.
    I went from a GS to an XR. Could not be happier. 160hp at 12k rpm gets me all giddy

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    I went from a GS to an XR. Could not be happier. 160hp at 12k rpm gets me all giddy
    I had an XR for a day. GIDDY is the word. Did I mention GIDDY yet?

I absolutely loved it, except for the in-line 4 buzz (which would not bother anyone used to it, but I haven't had an in-line 4 for 20 odd years) and the fact that I would never be able to afford rear tyres ......

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Good advice from AMZ there. From a GS to a superbike is rather extreme. Perhaps look at the sports touring segment for the best of both worlds (on road). A short list of candidates broadly crossing that turf from various manufacturers could include:

BMW S1000XR
    BMW R1200RS (unless its the boxer motor's characteristics that you don't gel with, apart from running costs).
    Yamaha MT10 Tourer edition (MT09 Tracer possibly as well)
    Kawasaki ZX14 (even the GTR1400)
    Kawasaki Z1000SX (the sportier side of sport tourer - could be ideal, fair pricing too)
    Suzuki GSX S1000F
    KTM 1290 GT Super Duke (oh hang on - running costs ;)
    Triumph Tiger 1200 XRt or 1050 Sport (wildcard)
    Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

I know I've left out the Ducati Multistrada and one or two others.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    From a GS to a superbike is rather extreme.
    Bearing in mind, he went from a fireblade to a GS originally.
    But yeah I agree with your shopping list

Lurker
    Bike
    Suzuki GSF 1250 Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng

There's a lot of "it depends" in a decision like this; a big question is $.

Sport routers are the logical choice for me. Enough steam to get the adrenalin pumping, but a more uncoiled riding position. BMW K1200/1300 S offers horses plus handling but some stories of bevel ("diff") issues did the rounds.

Pity they discontinued the good old Blackbird...

I look for decent tank range, bearable riding position and not too tightly bent knees.

A little thing that makes a disproportionate difference is the screen. A screen with a lip can make a lot of noise against your visor. I prefer a lower screen. The wind on the chest is worth the quieter ride.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    Good advice from AMZ there. From a GS to a superbike is rather extreme. Perhaps look at the sports touring segment for the best of both worlds (on road). A short list of candidates broadly crossing that turf from various manufacturers could include:

BMW S1000XR
    BMW R1200RS (unless its the boxer motor's characteristics that you don't gel with, apart from running costs).
    Yamaha MT10 Tourer edition (MT09 Tracer possibly as well)
    Kawasaki ZX14 (even the GTR1400)
    Kawasaki Z1000SX (the sportier side of sport tourer - could be ideal, fair pricing too)
    Suzuki GSX S1000F
    KTM 1290 GT Super Duke (oh hang on - running costs ;)
    Triumph Tiger 1200 XRt or 1050 Sport (wildcard)
    Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

I know I've left out the Ducati Multistrada and one or two others.
    Thanks man some great choices there, i checked out the ZX14 AND BUSA. Both have a bit more speed than I need lol

I will take all the recommendations into consideration, thanks peeps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk