Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBR600rr

Bike
    RIP Kawasaki ER6f. 2012 CB600f
    Region
    Gauteng

Default CBR600rr

My snot monster(as my wife called her), is no longer, so I'm looking at a 2008 CBR600rr with about 37000km on the clock for R50k. Looks like it's in pretty good condition.

Does anyone here have any advice? Does the price seem right?

I will need to get the suspension lowered because I can only just touch the road with the very tips of my feet, and would like to feel more comfortable. It's just a personal preference, and I think will make me less likely to drop the bike when I stop. The seat height is about an inch and a half higher than my er6's was, and I found myself wanting it lower on that bike already.

I really loved my ER6, but was starting to dream of something with less of a 2 cylinder sounding engine. The power and speed was not an issue to me. 2nd hand ER6's also seem pretty rare. I know why people would not want to sell them when they have them.

This is the bike I'm looking at:
    Name:  CBR600rr.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  86.8 KB

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The following is purely an opinion based on a personal bias, so don't take it as gospel. Personally, I do not like the 600cc class supersport bikes, especially not as a commuter. There are a few reasons:

1. I am too big for them and therefore find them extremely uncomfortable.
    2. Due to their high performance from a small engine, I find them jittery and hard to ride. That said, the Honda is the better one of the lot.
    3. Seating position, imo, makes it difficult to see in commuting type traffic.

All of the above easily proven absolutely bull sheets by anyone of the many 600 class supersport riders out there.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The following is purely an opinion based on a personal bias, so don't take it as gospel. Personally, I do not like the 600cc class supersport bikes, especially not as a commuter. There are a few reasons:

1. I am too big for them and therefore find them extremely uncomfortable.
    2. Due to their high performance from a small engine, I find them jittery and hard to ride. That said, the Honda is the better one of the lot.
    3. Seating position, imo, makes it difficult to see in commuting type traffic.

All of the above easily proven absolutely bull sheets by anyone of the many 600 class supersport riders out there.
    Thank you for your input... any feedback is valuable as I don't have experience to go on with this class and model of bike

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

that bike has been dropped, whether it was bad or not is hard to tell from picture, might have just been a small slide. price is not terrible, the wrap might be covering some more damage.

i am looking for a super bike also and these look good, but if you are commuting anything more than 15km each way everyday i would suggest against it.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    that bike has been dropped, whether it was bad or not is hard to tell from picture, might have just been a small slide. price is not terrible, the wrap might be covering some more damage.

i am looking super bike also and these look good, but if you are commuting anything more than 15km each way everyday i would suggest against it.
    Yes... I know it has been in what I think is a fall and slide. The engine covers have scraped on them. As you say... there may be more damage than is visible. The current owner is an acquaintance. He said that the faring was replaced because of the "drop".

My commute is about 32km each way. I am having 2nd thoughts about this bike, because of the damage that could be more than the eye can see.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by quincarroll View Post
    Yes... I know it has been in what I think is a fall and slide. The engine covers have scraped on them. As you say... there may be more damage than is visible. The current owner is an acquaintance. He said that the faring was replaced because of the "drop".

My commute is about 32km each way. I am having 2nd thoughts about this bike, because of the damage that could be more than the eye can see.
    to me from what i can see is that it looks like a slide, which imo isn't the end of the world.

what would put me off is the distance you drive on that every day.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

to me from what i can see is that it looks like a slide, which imo isn't the end of the world.

what would put me off is the distance you drive on that every day.
    From what point of view? Riding/seating position or power and handling? Or a combo of those?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

what is better imo but hard to find, a CBR600F, might be a bit pricier for a newer model also:

(this km etc looks off) https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...50910346020009

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

From what point of view? Riding/seating position or power and handling? Or a combo of those?
    the seating position, i went from a baby ninja to a nc700.

your wrists get wrecked, your mirrors are exactly in line with everyones mirrors and you cannot see over cars unless they are low. the power you can get used to it is very jerky as mentioned it is not easy or natural to ride with the flow of traffic

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian Stranger's Avatar
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

The baby blade is not a commuting bike, ... unless you ride hard every day. It likes to rev which means you are constantly holding back on the clutch and brakes. Great for long distance and hitting the curves or track

Commuting, nah. The initial rush will soon wear off.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the feedback... I have mostly decided against the CBR600rr.

I went shopping over the weekend, and found a nice Yamaha FZ6r. 2009 model with about 17000 km on the clock for R45 000 excluding the on the road costs. R2500 for the roadworthy and registration fees.

Any thoughts?

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda & Yamaha (project)
    Region
    Free State

Nice bike. If everything checks out, I'd go for it. However, go ride it, what is comfortable for me is not always comfortable for you

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

At the one AMID show, that bike took day one favourite bike as voted by the Marshals. Fun in tight twisties and comfy to ride. Much more suited to a daily commute and very flick able with bars as opposed to clip ons.

Would be my choice if I were in your shoes.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

What Stranger and Scorpius said.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

The FZ6r was sold an hour after I saw it

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    GSX-R750
    Region
    Gauteng

QUOTE=Scorpius;1169448]Nice bike. If everything checks out, I'd go for it. However, go ride it, what is comfortable for me is not always comfortable for you

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Definitely try the bike out, I didn't test my bike much when I bought it (first bike), I was lucky enough to find it comfy.

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

The FZ6r was sold an hour after I saw it
    Sorry to hear. Would an NC700 or 750 not be to your liking, great mid range grunt on both of those ?

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Sorry to hear. Would an NC700 or 750 not be to your liking, great mid range grunt on both of those ?
    I don't really know... I'm pretty short and from what I have seen the NC is a pretty tall person's bike... Unless they can be lowered quite a bit?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

I don't really know... I'm pretty short and from what I have seen the NC is a pretty tall person's bike... Unless they can be lowered quite a bit?
    how short? i am like 175cm and for me it is perfect and that is with normal shoes

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

how short? i am like 175cm and for me it is perfect and that is with normal shoes
    163cm

I got used to my ER6 with an official seat height of 80.5 cm, but truthfully I was never really comfortable, as I found that I could only get one foot half down when I stopped, and had to do a sort of lean over to swap sides if I wanted to change gears instead of using my foot brake.

I just looked the NC700 up on Wikipedia... Seat heights are as follows:

790 mm (31 in) (S)
    830 mm (33 in) (X)
    800 mm (31 in) (X Type LD - JDM )

Anything more than 2 to 3 cm higher than the ER6 will be quite uncomfortable for me.
    Last edited by quincarroll; 20-02-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added NC 700 seat heights