Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Second hand advice..

  1. #1
    Biker Twarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WC
    Bike
    Yamaha R3
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    37

    Default Second hand advice..

    Hi everyone

    I'm thinking of buying a larger bike (currently I have an R3). I want to keep it cheap, as I'll probably be using it for a 2x35km commute every day, which I'm currently doing on the R3. At this stage I'm thinking I'll probably keep the R3, but I suspect once I have a bigger bike I'll probably want to sell it soon .. But I want the bigger bike also for doing like weekend trips to George or such.

    I've found a few bikes on gumtree that attract my attention, but I don't know what I should be wary for, any advice will be greatly appreciated! Ideally I'd like to spend no more than R50k, but lets see

    I dunno if I'm being completely stupid here, these bikes have quite a few clicks on them, please inform me if I should rather be avoiding them..

    thanks so much for any input guys

    2010 R6 76000km R58k
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...40910038970109
    2006 R6 79000km R48
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...10910840133309
    2008 CBR600 40000km R48k
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...80910172983009
    2006 GSX-R 600 41000km R55k
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...80911146927009
    2005 GSX-R 600 41000km R48k
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...20910112449009
    2009 GSX-R 750 50000km R54k

  2. #2
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twarf View Post

    I dunno if I'm being completely stupid here, these bikes have quite a few clicks on them, please inform me if I should rather be avoiding them..

    You should be avoiding them.

  3. #3
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,627

    Default

    I would rather go to a reputable dealer and trade the R3 in on a newer bike with less kiliometers.

  4. #4
    Evil Biker Scum SandyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Deneysville
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    You should be avoiding them.
    What do you base this opinion on? My Fazer is still running sweetly at 84 000 km and I would sell her with a clear conscience (in fact considering doing so). Admittedly, she has been pampered and treated with respect which the other bikes may not have.

    There are many R1200GS's out there with similar mileage that will run for another 80 000 km without problem.

    On the other hand, GSX-R's and R6's are sport bikes and most probably have been thrashed for most of their life by weekend warriors, and I would agree that they should be avoided if the mileage is high.

    The best bet would be to find out as much history on each bike before making the decision. Good luck!
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.


  5. #5
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    What do you base this opinion on? My Fazer is still running sweetly at 84 000 km and I would sell her with a clear conscience (in fact considering doing so). Admittedly, she has been pampered and treated with respect which the other bikes may not have.

    There are many R1200GS's out there with similar mileage that will run for another 80 000 km without problem.

    On the other hand, GSX-R's and R6's are sport bikes and most probably have been thrashed for
    most of their life by weekend warriors, and I would agree that they should be avoided if the mileage is high.

    The best bet would be to find out as much history on each bike before making the decision. Good luck!
    I think he based his opinion on the fact that all the bikes listed are sport bikes with high mileage.

  6. #6
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    What do you base this opinion on? My Fazer is still running sweetly at 84 000 km and I would sell her with a clear conscience (in fact considering doing so). Admittedly, she has been pampered and treated with respect which the other bikes may not have.

    There are many R1200GS's out there with similar mileage that will run for another 80 000 km without problem.

    On the other hand, GSX-R's and R6's are sport bikes and most probably have been thrashed for most of their life by weekend warriors, and I would agree that they should be avoided if the mileage is high.

    The best bet would be to find out as much history on each bike before making the decision. Good luck!
    Oh I quite agree. A well cared for modern engine is capable of longevity.

    But I've been to look at too many Gumtree sportbikes in the Western Cape to not feel a deep sense of foreboding when I click on the ads the OP has put up. It's frankly scary what people are willing to pass onto unsuspecting buyers.

    That's why it is often best to buy a second hand bike from somebody you actually know, and you know the history of that bike.
    Both my current bikes were bought from pals, and the last three bikes I sold were to pals.

    Twarf, get Sandy to sell you his Fazer.

  7. #7
    Evil Biker Scum SandyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Deneysville
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Oh I quite agree. A well cared for modern engine is capable of longevity.

    But I've been to look at too many Gumtree sportbikes in the Western Cape to not feel a deep sense of foreboding when I click on the ads the OP has put up. It's frankly scary what people are willing to pass onto unsuspecting buyers.

    That's why it is often best to buy a second hand bike from somebody you actually know, and you know the history of that bike.
    Both my current bikes were bought from pals, and the last three bikes I sold were to pals.

    Twarf, get Sandy to sell you his Fazer.


    Yep. Just as an added warning, a friend, in a rush of blood to the head, went and bought a GSX-R 1000 one evening and asked me to look it over a few days later; one of the main engine mounting bolts had been stripped and glued in with silicone...
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.


  8. #8
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,627

    Default

    A further problem when buying a 2nd hand sport bike is that many were 2nd hand grey imports to start and their date of first registration can differ from their actual year of manufacture. You may well believe you are buying a 2010 spec bike because the registration states it is a 2010, when in fact it is a 2007.

  9. #9
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    A further problem when buying a 2nd hand sport bike is that many were 2nd hand grey imports to start and their date of first registration can differ from their actual year of manufacture. You may well believe you are buying a 2010 spec bike because the registration states it is a 2010, when in fact it is a 2007.
    And to avoid that, always look at the 10th character in the VIN number. It tells you the model year.




    https://support.alldata.com/alldata-...-to-year-chart

  10. #10
    Evil Biker Scum SandyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Deneysville
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    And to avoid that, always look at the 10th character in the VIN number. It tells you the model year.
    (Rushes to his vehicles file...) Seems to be true for all his vehicles and trailer except the Yamaha which is "0", but knows this is a 2004 model because that is the year these Fazers came out.

    Can anyone provide an explanation?
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.


  11. #11
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,627

    Default

    Perhaps they accidentally stamped a piano's serial number on your bike?

    Can't help. I have no idea, but what do you mean by "these Fazers"? The FZ6S?

  12. #12
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    (Rushes to his vehicles file...) Seems to be true for all his vehicles and trailer except the Yamaha which is "0", but knows this is a 2004 model because that is the year these Fazers came out.

    Can anyone provide an explanation?
    Sandy if you look at the link I posted it includes this:

    Note: VINs do not include the letters I (i), O (o), Q (q), U (u) or Z (z), or the number 0, so that they will not be confused with similar looking numbers/letters.
    Perhaps look at the VIN number on your licence disc or ownership papers?

  13. #13
    Evil Biker Scum SandyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Deneysville
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Perhaps they accidentally stamped a piano's serial number on your bike?

    Can't help. I have no idea, but what do you mean by "these Fazers"? The FZ6S?


    The 2004 FZ6S was the year Yamaha upgraded the Fazer to the (detuned to 72kw) fuel injected 2003 R6 motor and an alloy frame.

    The previous FZS 600 Fazer had a carb motor based on the Thundercat and steel frame. The subsequent FZ6R has a detuned FZ6 (57kw) motor with steel frame.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.


  14. #14
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,627

    Default


  15. #15
    Biker Twarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WC
    Bike
    Yamaha R3
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Thanks for the advice guys
    I guess I'll just have to save up some more. I think I just want to sell (or trade) the R3 before it loses too much value. Because I have a far-ish commute, hte odometer does count up a bit quick >.<
    She has just over 25000km on the clock now, of which I put about 8500 on

  16. #16
    "Master Yoda". Banditman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East London
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    If you're set on a sporty but more commuter & economy friendly bike in the 600cc class, then look for a clean CBR 600 S. Not an RR, an S. Underrated bike which still has an '07 600RR mill, slightly detuned, but a more comfortable riding position and good build quality. They were never seriously pushed as an option by many dealers, and never seriously considered by the performance obsessed types. Didn't stop them from flying out the door when Honda got serious and reduced the price to what the market thought was better, but they were then discontinued in SA. There's a ride test in the Ride Test section of the forum.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •