Thread: Lane Splitting : /

N00b
    Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape

Smile Lane Splitting : /

Hey Folks,

I know that lane splitting is a controversial topic, but there is probably 3 points I'd like to stress on.

I commute daily to work from Tableview side on the R27 to Century City, and often see near collisions that can be easily avoided with a bit of a mind change and maybe some awareness?

1. If you can't fit don't split, I have seen soo many bikers trying to get in-between cars revving the daylights out of their bikes in order for cars to move . They don't HAVE to move at all, just be patient and split when you can.

2. DON'T TAIL ANOTHER BIKE WHO IS SPLITTING - This happens more than i'd like, its happened to me often and it is SO irritating, if I brake suddenly or slow down without you realizing you have now endangered my, your and everyone else's life around you, it's not like I can swerve or move anywhere else but forward.. Just back off and keep some distance, you will still get to your toilet at home faster than the cars would, simple.

3. Try not break the speed limit while splitting, not only is it illegal(To go over the speed limit), but if you crash and your insurance asks for the ECU reading on what speeds you were travelling, whether you braked, whether you hooted etc and they find you in breach of contract, you don't get paid out... I dont know about you, but some bikes are expensive and in my case are covered for that reason. Which brings me back to point 2.

I dunno, use them or don't use them, just try not spoil the biking community with stupid riding.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Yeah. Point well made. It is all about your safety and why compromise that to gain a few minutes on your commute?

Not sure I agree on the insurance thing. Comprehensive insurance should cover you against you own stupidity as well, but always a good idea to check out the clauses of your insurance contract.

N00b
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Yeah. Point well made. It is all about your safety and why compromise that to gain a few minutes on your commute?

Not sure I agree on the insurance thing. Comprehensive insurance should cover you against you own stupidity as well, but always a good idea to check out the clauses of your insurance contract.

I must be honest, the ECU reading bit was mentioned in conversation that some companies can request it. I dont know if its true, but why take the chance right?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Salad View Post
    I must be honest, the ECU reading bit was mentioned in conversation that some companies can request it. I dont know if its true, but why take the chance right?
    You shouldn't take a chance, for sure, but I would also suggest we all make sure that we and the insurance have a similar understanding of what the definition of "comprehensive insurance" is. I would hate to skip a stop, or rear end someone and then find I am not covered and even worse, neither is the other party because I did something stupid.

Biker
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng

Good reading. Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot, then I have given him/her a chance to move on. Yes, I could turn my head and check my blindspot, but that would mean me taken my complete attention off the car in from of me. I also scan the lanes while taking the on-ramp to try and get the positions of bikes already on the freeway

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Good reading. Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot, then I have given him/her a chance to move on. Yes, I could turn my head and check my blindspot, but that would mean me taken my complete attention off the car in from of me. I also scan the lanes while taking the on-ramp to try and get the positions of bikes already on the freeway

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

After my accident in April, Santam requested the bike be "electronically tested" (read as having diagnostics done) to see what speed I was doing. Speedo read 54kmh, in 1st gear and under 4000rpm and then nothing as the dash was destroyed in the accident. Lucky for me, all the witnesses to the accident say I was doing under 60kmh as it was getting to be peak hour traffic.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

N00b
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    After my accident in April, Santam requested the bike be "electronically tested" (read as having diagnostics done) to see what speed I was doing. Speedo read 54kmh, in 1st gear and under 4000rpm and then nothing as the dash was destroyed in the accident. Lucky for me, all the witnesses to the accident say I was doing under 60kmh as it was getting to be peak hour traffic.
    Ahhh I thought so, just like cars, I heard Audi and BMW's are hot targets for insurance companies and request this sort of stuff all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the newer bikes with this kind of tech are now being asked by insurance companies also.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

They can ask for it and will surely do, especially if they are suing the other party's insurance, or the other party is suing them. It could possibly be usable evidence.

To use it as a possible reason to disallow your claim? That would be a very interesting debate and visit with the insurance ombudsman. Again, if you are not also insured against damaged you caused yourself, change your insurance immediately. Obviously there will be exclusion, like drunken driving, no license, etc. In general, a decent insurance will cover you against damage you caused, even if while doing something stupid.

N00b
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    They can ask for it and will surely do, especially if they are suing the other party's insurance, or the other party is suing them. It could possibly be usable evidence.

To use it as a possible reason to disallow your claim? That would be a very interesting debate and visit with the insurance ombudsman. Again, if you are not also insured against damaged you caused yourself, change your insurance immediately. Obviously there will be exclusion, like drunken driving, no license, etc. In general, a decent insurance will cover you against damage you caused, even if while doing something stupid.
    It seems weird that they would pay out if you were breaking the speed limit.. is that not negligence?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

It seems weird that they would pay out if you were breaking the speed limit.. is that not negligence?
    I don't see it as weird. Like I said, check your policy document. What is excluded and what is included. Remember, comprehensive insurance means just that. Your finance from the bank is dependent on the vehicle being comprehensively insured. Think about it, if they refuse to pay because you were negligent, that vehicle is nowhere near comprehensively insured. Comprehensive insurance also cover your stupidity. (To a point, of course).

If they, as you say, will not pay out because you exceeded the speed limit (negligence), it is safe to assume that you have no more than 50% cover because all possible negligent, or stupid acts by you, is excluded. Trust me on this, very few, if any policy would exclude to that level. If they did, comprehensive insurance would be useless.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Also something that I do (and I have noticed that not many riders practice this) is when I move from the on-ramp to the BL - I actually ride in the lane for a few seconds to make sure that if there was a biker in my blindspot
    +1, I do stay in the lane until i am able to also check my mirror for any other bikes already in the BL that might be approaching and wait for them to pass before I merge in.

I often see bikes just moving into the lane without a second thought like they are the only bikes on the road. For this reason I normally slow down when I see another bike start moving across lanes towards the BL.
    Ricers are bikers too!