Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tour through the Fairest of Capes

Bike
    Yamaha FZ6S (Honi), KLR650 (Rover)
    Region
    Free State

Day 3 Cont:

After refuelling at De Rust we headed back on the R341 past the farm where we had stayed and on to the R339 to Uniondale. Crossing over the ridge introduced us to the the buffeting Westerly crosswind which hounded us throughout the day.

We stretched our legs in Uniondale before heading out of town on the R339 through the Uniondale poort on our way to the R62. Here, for the first time, Costa and I surged past our leader and tested the curves with our machines. I used the excuse that I wanted to get ahead of the group to get some video...

Turning left on the R62 put the wind at our backs as we descended between the mountain ranges through apple orchards and numerous dams. I wondered if I had the time and a fishing rod, how many Bass where waiting for my lure in those dams.

Joubertina came up at around lunch time as planned and another nourishing light meal was consumed.

Mon 1.jpg

As we carried on the day turned grey and the road surface deteriorated a bit but nothing to worry about. All the while we drank in the magnificent Cape scenery. We crossed under the N2 and South onto the Coastal Flats toward Cape St Francis. The Westerly wind hammered us and had to be anticipated at every cutting, embankment and bush.

Soon we arrived at our well appointed digs and settled in.

IMG-20171023-WA0042.jpg IMG-20171023-WA0041.jpg

The area had to be explored. The wind was still blowing hard and trying to push the waves back from the beach.

Mon 2.jpg

It was time for supper and we headed to a restaurant overlooking the St Francis Canals where another top class meal was served.

Mon 3.jpg

IMG-20171023-WA0049.jpg

We went to bed having agreed that it had been a rough day in the saddle due to the wind and that it would probably be the worst day we were to have...
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Bike
    Region
    Free State

Tuesday morning dawned calm and clear so while the others were about their morning ablutions, I decided to go down to see the sea. It was calm and flatter than the night before and the rising Sun afforded some creative photo opportunities.

Tues 1.jpg Tues 2.jpg

Returning to the B&B the group went out for a short trip to the Seal Point lighthouse and then on to explore Port St Francis which was built for the local squid (calamari) industry which we, in South Africa, apparently don't any of as the squid are exported...

Tues 3.jpg Tues 3ab.jpg

Tues 3b.jpg Tues 3c.jpg

Back at the B&B a delicious breakfast was waiting for us, once again overlooking the St Francis canals.

IMG-20171024-WA0007.jpg

After loading the bikes we headed out toward and joining the N2 we stopped once again for photos of the impressively huge wind turbines which come into sight as you crest a rise in the road.

Tues 4.jpg

I had warned the guys that the Fazer would pass the 80,000 km mark during the day, and when that happened I would be stopping to take a photo so that I could join the American 600 riders FZ6 forum 50,000 miles club. (Some of those member's bikes have already passed the 100,000 MILE mark without problem).

This milestone was reached in the beautiful Tsitsikamma.

Tues 5.jpg Tues 6.jpg

The stop precipitated the second "breakdown" of the trip when one of the GS's refused to start; its 3 year old battery suddenly gave up the ghost. Fortunately we were close to the Tsitsikamma Falls Adventures and pushed the bike there. Attempts to jump start the bike failed and one of the Tsitsikamma Adventures employees graciously offered a battery from one of his quads, which, although it did not fit properly in the bike and was tied in with a piece of rope, fired up the motor at a touch of the starter.

After making arrangements to leave the battery in George where the new one would be purchased, we were on our way again.
    Last edited by SandyN; 06-12-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Add photos

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2014 Fireblade, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Fantastic post Sandy. Have looked forward to each new installment. Thanks for taking the trouble. Makes this forum still worth visiting.

Bike
    SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

A really great post. you guys seemed to have had a great time.

Bike
    Region
    Free State

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the appreciation.

Bike
    Region
    Free State

Day 4 Continued:

Carrying on down the N2 we crossed the deep Storms River chasm spanned by the Paul Sauer bridge not bothered by any wind which can sometimes be a problem and on into the Tsistsikamma village for some refreshment at Marilyn's, a restaurant lost in the 50's, complete with Pink Cadillac and pumping out 50's rock music.

Tues 11.jpg Tues 12.jpg

Tues 13.jpg Tues 14.jpg

Leaving there it was decided that due to the time lost with the BM's battery problem, we would skip a visit to the Storms River Mouth which is a destination that should not be missed if you are in the area. The following photo's were taken by a member of the group on a previous trip.

Tues 14a.jpg Tues 14b.jpg

So on through Plettenberg Bay and into Knysna, ever mindful of the evidence of the raging fires which ravaged the area a few months before, and to the Knysna Heads.

Tues 15.jpg Tues 16.jpg

Leaving Knysna on the N2 which snakes along the edge of the lagoon, one rode with half an eye on the road and the other one and a half scanning the ridges above the road taking in the scenes of burnt out houses and scorched bush, feeling empathy for those who endured the experience.

A stop for fuel in Sedgefield also became an obligatory stop at the Classic Cars stand as two of the group are avid old car collectors and restorers.

Tues 17.jpg

From there it was on to George where the BM's borrowed quad's battery was replaced with the correct one. The trip from there to the Diaz Hotel in Mossel bay was uneventful. Our 8th and 10th floor rooms provided spectacular views over the bay.

IMG-20171024-WA0050.jpg Tues 18.jpg

Supper was supposed to be in the outside eating area, which must memorable in warmer weather but the cold drove us into the main dining room, where, after a forgettable meal we were happy to hit the sack after a long, but pleasant, day along the Garden Route.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

As usual, great, just one thing though, your pink Caddy, is actually a Valiant!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW R1150R
    Region
    Western Cape

Your ride reports put the fun back into touring; congrats on achieving your entry to the American 600 riders FZ6 forum 50,000 miles club.

Bike
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa 1 View Post
    As usual, great, just one thing though, your pink Caddy, is actually a Valiant!
    Let's call it artistic licence for the sake of the story; the sticker on the windscreen says its a 1961 Dodge Lancer which, as you rightly say, is a clone of the Chrysler Valiant.

Well spotted...

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Wow, awesome read... Makes me want to get on the NC right now and just go SOMEWHERE...

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk