Thread: 89' FZR 400 yey or ney

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

Default 89' FZR 400 yey or ney

Hi guys

A friend of mine is in a bit of financial trouble and has a 1989 FZR 400 with about 30k on the clock. He said he'll take R9500.

The plastics aren't in the greatest of conditions but its decent. The carbs does need some tuning as the rpm on idle spikes. Assuming the carb tune is about R900 and getting all the paper work in order is another R500. Would you say R11000 is worth it?

Also is the FZR 400 a reliable bike to use as a daily?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I would avoid. Parts for these bikes, they were grey imports and as such Yamaha SA do not hold any spares, is a real issue. They are awesome bikes and pretty reliable, but any issue, even a small issue could leave you with a expensive paper weight.

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade (Pepper), Gixxer 750 K8 (Monica)
    Region
    Gauteng

Have a friend who bought a ZZR 400 and the its a beautiful bike, the problem with any thing from that era is they are all leaded, so if you dont find LPR or add lead replacement to the fuel they destroy the Valves, so he has no compression any more and there is about no one left in this country able to redo the valve seats and valves, Kawasaki obviously are very happy to inform us that not one manufacturer brought 400's into this country as they are all grey's that have filtered through Africa from Asia, so import your own parts please. really sad cause i know a few people with 400's, the fact these bikes are so hard to source parts for and there lack of support make them risky, i do know that his bike is beautiful and a real collectors piece if he could get her sorted, some days i wonder who and how Honda support the NC30?

the few i have known with 400's love them more then any thing, but they are more collectors pieces if you ask me.
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Have a friend who bought a ZZR 400 and the its a beautiful bike, the problem with any thing from that era is they are all leaded, so if you dont find LPR or add lead replacement to the fuel they destroy the Valves, so he has no compression any more and there is about no one left in this country able to redo the valve seats and valves, Kawasaki obviously are very happy to inform us that not one manufacturer brought 400's into this country as they are all grey's that have filtered through Africa from Asia, so import your own parts please. really sad cause i know a few people with 400's, the fact these bikes are so hard to source parts for and there lack of support make them risky, i do know that his bike is beautiful and a real collectors piece if he could get her sorted, some days i wonder who and how Honda support the NC30?

the few i have known with 400's love them more then any thing, but they are more collectors pieces if you ask me.

Honda does not support the NC30, or any of the Honda 400's that came to SA. The difference is the 400 Hondas came in by the container load and as such, there are much more parts available.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Like they said.... big fat NO.

I would be very reluctant to buy a mainstream bike that is that old let alone a grey import
    Dunslop lover....

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    Like they said.... big fat NO.

I would be very reluctant to buy a mainstream bike that is that old let alone a grey import
    +1.