Thread: Phakisa Moto Rider Academy stage one training,

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade (Pepper), Gixxer 750 K8 (Monica)
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Phakisa Moto Rider Academy stage one training,

So Mister Wpigeon from the forum here kinda found me my current lady "Monica", and I got track training insurance, so he dragged me along to phakisa and forced me to take the training wheels off of Monica, what amazing training, by your 3rd session they tell you one gear, and no brakes unless you have to use them but learn to cut the throttle and let the engine deacceleration slow the bike down, man, I couldn't believe my corner lean angle and my corner acceleration when I learnt to control the bike with the throttle through a lean, instead of rushing in at full speed and sitting on the brakes super slowly through a turn. What an experience, sleeping over and just spending the time around other riders around the pits, an experience and a half, and Moto Riders Academy's training is awesome. And riding a track built for Motorgp is really an eye opener to the world of racing.

Don't laugh, We cool OK. My Mommie said so.

We rented a hut next to the pits instead of camping in pits cause Wpigeon wanted his boss lady to tag,

more photos to follow.
    Warrenpidgeon Shot for an awesome weekend training and riding, good luck with the 8 hour my boy, as the instructors said your way capable of under 2min, so good luck competing in your group that has to be over 2 min only

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Membership
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

That is so awesome!
    Well done guys.

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

ye, WPidgeon is too scared to upload the vids of the instructors following him cause he still has chicken strips on the his front tire, granted i cant talk, the instructor got tired of following me after 3 corners, but in my defense it was my two warm up laps, but its not like the rest of my laps get any more entertaining, when we went out for our first sessions i could kinda follow warren through a corner and see him enter the next, as the sat went on, he would blast me and id see him enter corner and he would be gone that's how slow i am, but he can ride properly and how he has chicken strips, in his defense they are tiny

WarrenPridgeon can i upload the vid, and show these boys just what middle weight bikes are capable of?
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S :( ... Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 :-( .2015 Harley Street 750. 2011 Daytona 675!
    Region
    Gauteng

That no breaks drill is pretty rough. In the classroom Andre said "accelerate hard and shut the throttle off at the 150 for turn one".
    So I come through the last turn onto the start finish straight and open up in third... there's the 150 board... shut off.
    "OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH FLIP!!!!!! this is waaaaay too fast".

But 150 meters is still 150 meters time to think... Andres words are going through my head "tell yourself today 'touch the brakes and you're gonna die' I want you to commit to the corner".
    So I go "stuff it... lemme commit" I look for the turn in point... turn in... I don't care about bloody apexing I just want to get through the corner... I run wide... but I only use the grey stuff.
    Wait... the bike CAN actually make the corner at that speed!

Then it was determined that I wasn't really apexing properly. I was turning in too late.
    And I was being "lazy" I needed to be more intentional with my input on the bars to get the bike turning in a little faster.
    So after some discussion I went out and slowed down and really focused on entering the corner at the correct point,
    and telling myself "paint paint paint paint" (my way of forcing myself to get all the way in to the apex instead of running around the middle of the track).
    It got better.

The next session I slowed down my entry even more and it got even better. Surprisingly... I actually ended up being FASTER by going slower!
    By the end of the day I was cornerning way more smoothly than before and I was actually putting my knee down on the paint instead of somewhere in the middle of the track.

During the last session we were allowed 2 gears and gentle braking.
    I'm basically running the same times as I was before but I'm braking a LOT more softly than what I was before.
    It completely changes the feel of how I'm riding. I feel a lot smoother. I feel way more relaxed. It's actually more fun!

It was indeed a good weekend. Much banter and much riding was had! When we arrived at Phakisa on Friday night there was no power.
    Luckily I had a little gas cooker with me so we could have coffee in the icy conditions.
    We went out to Mustangs on Friday night for a TBone steaks at R95 for a 500g TBone.

Hobbes...the only question I have is "When is Andrew getting a sports bike and when are we going back?!"
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S :( ... Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 :-( .2015 Harley Street 750. 2011 Daytona 675!
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    ye, WPidgeon is too scared to upload the vids of the instructors following him cause he still has chicken strips on the his front tire, granted i cant talk, the instructor got tired of following me after 3 corners, but in my defense it was my two warm up laps, but its not like the rest of my laps get any more entertaining, when we went out for our first sessions i could kinda follow warren through a corner and see him enter the next, as the sat went on, he would blast me and id see him enter corner and he would be gone that's how slow i am, but he can ride properly and how he has chicken strips, in his defense they are tiny

WarrenPridgeon can i upload the vid, and show these boys just what middle weight bikes are capable of?
    I blame my excessively aggressive body position for the fat chicken strips on the front :-P
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Instructor was following me on an R6. I used up ALL of the track in the instep of the boot... Even the paint on the exit :-P
    Still not always nailing the hairpin towards the end of the clip... but getting better.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Here was a clip from later on the first day when I caught up to one of the other students from the training on a loaner ZX10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZpl_pArJU

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian Stranger's Avatar
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Bbaawwaahhh. Last training I did at Phakisa. The one young lady asked me if those signs meant the speed they should be doing at that point
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Bbaawwaahhh. Last training I did at Phakisa. The one young lady asked me if those signs meant the speed they should be doing at that point
    Shame man... lol. If you don't know you don't know. Imagine going into the sweep off of the back straight at 50km/h wait...
    I was doing that last year when I started this track riding business. LOL.

One exercise we did was to go out and take note of "things" we could see around the track.
    Because I was riding in C group instead of B I was riding slower than normal, looking around to find markers and "stuff".
    I noticed they actually have the corner numbers in each corner! Never seen those before! And there's a massive tree that you don't see until you get told about it. lol.