Thread: Orange Headlight Covers.

Lurker
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250r
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Orange Headlight Covers.

Hi All,

I have recently started commuting to work regularly via two wheels and seen on many occasions guys riding a orange cover on their front lights which in my opinion is a great safety tool since you can spot them easily between the sea of white lights especially in winter and early mornings on the freeways.
    My question is are they legal and how to obtain them in Cape Town?

I will be riding a Ninja 250r 2013 model soon and it only requires one light to be fitted with it. Could anyone advise or direct me please?

Regards,
    Shadley

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

I am sure someone here can direct you to the legalities around it, to my knowledge it is legal during daylight hours. they are fitted with velcro so you just pop it off. Also just because yours is the one light the cover will generally still cover the entire lamp glass.

is yours the old shape ninja or the new one? best price either way I could find for this type of thing was at WarEagle.

However if you have the old ninja I might be able to help you...

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville EFI
    Region
    Gauteng

If you don't find one for sale, you can make one. There is a thread around here somewhere...

Lurker
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250r
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    I am sure someone here can direct you to the legalities around it, to my knowledge it is legal during daylight hours. they are fitted with velcro so you just pop it off. Also just because yours is the one light the cover will generally still cover the entire lamp glass.

is yours the old shape ninja or the new one? best price either way I could find for this type of thing was at WarEagle.

However if you have the old ninja I might be able to help you...

Thanks for the speedy reply, its the new spec I believe its the sharper shape like the 300cc model. So the lamps are not connected they on each side.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The legalities around the headlights are interesting.

By law forward facing lights can be white, yellow or amber as long as all lights in the same class is the same colour. So, you can have amber dim, as long as both dims (if there is two) is amber. They can however make a case that a headlight cover diffuse the light and that is not legal. Basically, use a cover. Bikers with coloured covers are more visible and they ride thousands upon thousands of kilos without hassles from the law. If you are stopped by 'n difficult cop, apologise, remove and store in bag till around the corner. Don't be harregat yourself.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

As with all these type of features on bikes and especially with the safety / visibility concerns folks have.

My personal opinion: If you are mainly a daytime rider then have the amber lens on the high beam lens. This keeps your headlight beam on the road and clear. The high beam lens is then diffused a bit with the lens and it is the one that is picked up in drivers mirrors and is then seen and recognised.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250 Twister
    Region
    Western Cape

Shadley, I saw some not long ago at Flying Brick in Milnerton. No idea if they have for your bike model - I'd suggest giving them a ring and asking before you go through.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Shadley View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply, its the new spec I believe its the sharper shape like the 300cc model. So the lamps are not connected they on each side.
    these peep's will def help you then.

http://www.wareagle.co.za/

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW K 1300 GT
    Region
    Gauteng

I looked for an orange one for my GT but after contacting all the local suppliers, nobody could help. I have a Ventura clear headlight protector, bought some orange coloured Lamin-X headlight film from Autostyle in Mayfair JHB, applied it and now I have what I was looking for!! Cost me R80.