Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild / Resurrection: Suzuki GN 125

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

A bit more success today, but photos are still slow to upload (only one at a time for some reason).
    Some before and after pics of the fuel tap:
    Name:  1 (401).jpg
Views: 240
Size:  53.7 KB Name:  IMG_20170604_191321.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  33.1 KB Name:  IMG_20170604_191335.jpg
Size:  31.6 KB

And the same again with the carb.

Name:  Donor GN 125 (8).jpg
Views: 245
Size:  59.4 KB Name:  IMG_20170604_193201.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  52.5 KB Name:  IMG_20170604_191354.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  39.1 KB Name:  1 (374).jpg
Views: 241
Size:  54.6 KB Name:  IMG_20170604_195208.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  34.1 KB

Great work, quick turnaround and a good price too. Thanks Rob. Here're his details if you have work needing doing:

Name:  Wet Blast.jpg
Size:  54.5 KB

I'll post pics shortly of the spacers made up for the indicators and headlight bracket.
    Membership
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

And for the first time in over a year, the carb is back in place.:
    Name:  IMG_20170605_164745.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  73.9 KB Name:  IMG_20170605_164815.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  64.0 KB

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Wow! Looking great.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Thanks AMZ, here's the latest quick update. Since this was taken the indicators have also been fitted.
    Indicator spacers/ adapters I had made locally.

Name:  IMG_20170611_125113.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  IMG_20170611_125138.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  23.8 KB

Headlight in place, bike has a face again.

Name:  IMG_20170610_221407.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  60.9 KB Name:  IMG_20170610_221420.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  61.1 KB

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Getting there! Methinks, that when you have finished, you will have a better bike than left the factory!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

A frustrating couple of weeks: the GN's been paused while sorting out a water pump, thermostat and blown head gasket on the car. But on the upside, my taillight has arrived and I've cleaned & prepped the front brake caliper and unit, so the rebuild will resume shortly.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

No new pics to show you guys at the moment, but since the Fiat got sorted I've managed to do the following:

As is typical with anything deviating from factory standard, the aftermarket indicators and taillight's bullet connectors are smaller than the Suzuki originals. The leads were also shorter than the originals - and numpty here didn't check before fitting. So they all came back off the bike and were duly modified with replacement connectors and some new bridging sections. All now fitted with heat shrink and back on the bike. I've got a slight mod to make to get the aftermarket taillight to work with the original mounting bracket. Yes it's a little bulky, but this isn't a personal use only money no object build and the mount incorporates the number plate bracket,so recycled it is. Cleaned up the surface rust inside it and gave it a couple of coats of Rustoleum silver to seal it up and make it look nicer.

In the interests of getting it on the road faster, I've tidied up the donor bike's front brake unit which was intact from reservoir to caliper, and fitted it straight on. Just needs bleeding and new pads, plus a little paint in places. The bike'll be rideable while I rebuild the original's caliper (which suffered from having hoses cut and water ingress).

Just about all the electricals are wired up so I'll do a system test as soon as the battery is charged up again.

Some other touches are now done as well but I'll give more details when I've got some time.

She's getting very close now.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Name:  IMG_20170726_151733.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  69.7 KB Name:  IMG_20170718_181413.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  44.0 KB

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

It's been a little while, but some good progress tonight. Checked the fitting of the tank, considering the rise I'm giving it at the back by making up a thicker rubber tank cushion (to get a flatter tank angle, not that mock chopper slant from Suzuki). Indicators all modded along with the taillights so tonight I connected the last bits up, hooked up the battery and did an electrical test. Headlights, indicators & hooter all working but there are a few snags to sort. Taillight lights up fully unless the front brake is touched, when it dies completely. Brights & left indicator only work with the switch being pressed, but I think I've sorted that out inside the cluster. Best part: pressed the starter button and she cranked over sweetly. No fuel in the bike yet, but she'll run. Great news. Now for the taillight fun of tracing that lot.

Compare the standard-from-Suzuki side profile. Even though I've not yet had the flat tracker seat done (I'll use the original seat for taller trainees), you can see the tank sits much flatter. The Honda XR 125 handlebars help visually as well, plus I think they'll improve the handling by putting a bit more weight forward. It's already a nicer seating position. The Lucas-style taillight makes a big improvement over the OEM Lego block.
    Name:  Factory fresh (1).jpg
Views: 139
Size:  57.3 KB Name:  IMG-20170819-WA0008.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20170819-WA0015.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG-20170819-WA0011.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  IMG-20170819-WA0010.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  79.3 KB

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

She looks lovely. Did I read correctly? You will allow trainees within a 100 miles from her?

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    She looks lovely. Did I read correctly? You will allow trainees within a 100 miles from her?

My thought too! Looks great.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, AMZ. I know, I hear you. Family and friends who know me have also warned me about making it too precious but I just couldn't leave it looking scruffy. But it's seldom I have a rider do anything major; if they have an incident it's usually no more than scuffs on a footpeg & maybe replacing a bent hand lever. So bolt-on parts which they cover repair or replacement of if they break 'em.

Plus I have a second tank done identically (along with the black 2K'ed mudguards) and will be adding a reverse cone silencer & glassfibre wrap to the second exhaust for when I want to ride it - just in case it does get scuffed.
    Name:  Max Inc Universal Reverse Cone Shorty - Chrome R1300.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  121.3 KB

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Just for reference: it's hard to believe that this is the same bike, from the same basic angle.

Name:  Gabriella Seidle (51).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  95.2 KB Name:  1 (1).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  135.1 KB Name:  1 (4).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  62.6 KB Name:  IMG-20170819-WA0010.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  79.3 KB

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

You would never say that was the same bike! She looks better than new now! Great job!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Some photo-less updates for today:

Switchgear clusters assembled on the handlebars, mirrors & clutch lever fitted. I'm not overly chuffed with the standard mirrors - they sit a little taller than I'd like which visually raises the front end a bit - but considering that one OEM came with the bike and the local Suzuki dealership had a new counterpart for cheapies I'll live with them for now. Ultimately I think I'll swap them out for something visually more in keeping, along with the headlight brackets. The clutch cable is now connected and adjusted, pending the first test run, as is the throttle cable. Rider's footrests are fitted as well.

Even at static the riding position is definitely better with the Honda XR125/150 bars, so if you own a GN125 & are interested then consider the modification. I literally bolted the XR bars onto the yoke & then bolted the Suzuki controls to it. All you'll need is a new left hand grip.

I've made a start on the rubber spacer to lift the tank at the back, so hopefully that'll be done tomorrow along with drilling new bolt holes for the taillight & fitting that. I'd also like to finish flatting and respraying the front brake mounting plate, caliper and brake fluid reservoir cover. All depends on work during the day. As soon as the tank is fitted I'll be able to mark the reshaping lines for the spare seat to be reupholstered into Tracker style, as well as fit the fuel tap & check for leaks. Start up is around the corner (followed by the fun of adjusting the carb).

The young lady who donated the remains of her bike has been in on the updates. As soon as I'm happy the bike is safe for others, she's getting the first ride. It just feels right.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

More progress:

The new exhaust gasket is fitted & the exhaust system's been bolted into place. Upon fitting the new taillight unit to the original Suzuki bracket, I realised that more fettling was in order. So new mounting holes drilled and....a clearance issue with the bolts holding the internal light brackets, they're preventing the taillight from fitting. After considering making up a spacer and changing the light's internals, I took the easiest solution. Two small half-moon notches in the bracket to clear the bolts causing the issue. The taillight is now fitted & looks great. In-between that lot I took the opportunity to spray a couple of small parts, including the front caliper mounting bracket. I'll give that 24hrs to cure before I reassemble the front brake.

Which brings us back to wiring. And what I know about wiring is about what my ex wife knows about carburetors.

The issue with the left indicator & brights not working was an easy fix. A little internal switch cluster cleanup & properly fitting it to the handlebars did the trick. I rerouted the front indicator wiring more neatly, and started tidying up the main harness neatly behind the headlight. And on the second electrical test - headlights (dip and main), hooter and left indicators working perfectly. But the brake lights are still an issue - on full all the time but the brake light filament goes off when you touch the front switch. The rear brake pedal switch isn't working but I think it just needs adjustment. BUT - since I've hooked up the taillight properly, the right indicators now stay dark while the headlight & taillight flash for Christmas.

I'll leave it for the night and have my professional bike mechie friend drop in for a look. I'll sort the tank cushion spacer out tomorrow which means it could be fitted, but I'll leave that part until I've bled the front brakes rather than risk fluid splashing on the lovely new paint.

So: goals for tomorrow after my trainees are done at testing will be to fit and bleed the front brakes, finish the seat spacer, fit the fuel tap & tank.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Sound like you are getting really close to being finished.

Great that the donor bike owner is getting the first ride. NOTE: Only have half a litre of fuel in it and make sure your bike is ready for the chase down as she heads off in to the distance on her 'new' bike...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Great idea, WBro! I think I'll let her ride it in the training yard. Gate remote.

Loads done today:

Brake system is bled and tip-top. It didn't help, making the rookie mistake of not checking the reservoir before one more pump, and sucking a Radox bath's worth of air bubbles into the system & starting again. But all's sorted.

The rubber tank spacers are now made up & the tank mounted to check fit. For an easy fix I'm plenty happy with the angle achieved. I used some conveyor belting off cuts to make them, using the tank cushion as a template. It's given the tank roughly 45mm of lift at the back to help cancel out the standard GN chopper/banana boat vibe. The fuel tap is now fitted and plumbed in ready for a leak test. I might replace the fuel line as it seems a little hard / shrunken, and that's a cheap part anyway. The throttle cable is now rust free on the adjusters (if you haven't tried Evaporust yet then do yourselves a favour) and fitted to the bike, with free play adjusted. The left side cover is also in place tonight to help check fit & angles for the saddle design.

Major tasks till remaining:

Chase out the electrical gremlins & finish clipping / tying wiring neatly into place.
    Adjust hand controls and mirrors & fasten fully.
    Adjust back brake switch.
    Leak test of fuel system.
    Check torque settings on swingarm, forks etc.
    Set carb when she's running.
    Get the second saddle made up in the flat tracker pattern.
    Licence and roadworthy.

Hopefully by this time next week, we'll have a running bike video clip. I'll post pics of the current state of affairs over the weekend. Once the whole shebang is done I'll also post up a "from experience" list of tips for anyone trying this for the first time, along with costs to give you a good idea. I'll break those down into "just get it running" as well as "make it look good" costs.

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Hopefully by tomorrow midday we should have a complete and running bike. The only major jobs left after that are to get the second saddle made and then the fun of paperwork and the roadworthy, which will have to be early next week when I have a gap between training courses.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Would be great if you could get it to a bike show with the before photos on display too.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human