Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 160 of 160

Thread: 310cc Baby Beemer due in South Africa next year.

  1. #141
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Rather spend a bit more and get the F700GS or the NC750.

    These small motors take a beating on the longer commutes.

  2. #142
    N00b srothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Waiting (But thinkinig maybe NC750X DCT?)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    Rather spend a bit more and get the F700GS or the NC750.

    These small motors take a beating on the longer commutes.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at the NC750XD for a bit now, and my only challenge was that I'm not exactly "vertically blessed", so when I'm on it it's rather tippy-toe. I believe it is possible to lower the seat height a bit, but figured perhaps the little Beemer might be a good alternative.

  3. #143
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    155

    Default

    You can lower them.

    I promise you, you will regret the smaller motor. I have 1st hand experience.

  4. #144
    N00b srothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Waiting (But thinkinig maybe NC750X DCT?)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    You can lower them.

    I promise you, you will regret the smaller motor. I have 1st hand experience.
    I absolutely believe you

  5. #145
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    Rather spend a bit more and get the F700GS or the NC750.

    These small motors take a beating on the longer commutes.
    Although I am a firm believer that there is no substitute for cc, I do not agree that these smaller engines cannot handle a longer commute and there is the added problem that a decent F700GS or NC750 it is not just "a bit more". Both are very good option as well and in the end, it is all about available budget (keep in mind the cost of the required kit) and personal taste.

  6. #146
    N00b srothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Waiting (But thinkinig maybe NC750X DCT?)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Let's assume budget isn't an issue (I wish it wasn't, but yeah...), would a bigger bike translate into an easier ride from a handling point of view. If I can use the analogy of a small car vs. an SUV (and excuse the rudimentary question, I am a newbie). Going 140km/h in my SUV feels like going 100km/h in my Polo. Does the same hold true in the biking world? As an inexperienced rider, would it not be easier to manage 120km/h on a bigger bike than a smaller and lighter one?

  7. #147
    Biker Trash joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    903

    Default

    From my experience the higher speeds are more comfortable on my 1200 compared to the 390.

    But I prefer to commute on the 390 from both an ease of use and cost perspective. My commute is less than 40 per day both ways however. What is yours from Pta - Jhb and back?

    If you will be doing mostly slow lane splitting compared to having open highway it will also make a difference on the choice I reckon.
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

  8. #148
    N00b srothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Waiting (But thinkinig maybe NC750X DCT?)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    From my experience the higher speeds are more comfortable on my 1200 compared to the 390.

    But I prefer to commute on the 390 from both an ease of use and cost perspective. My commute is less than 40 per day both ways however. What is yours from Pta - Jhb and back?

    If you will be doing mostly slow lane splitting compared to having open highway it will also make a difference on the choice I reckon.
    Thanks joe.
    It's about 120km round-trip, and given the peak traffic, I'd imagine there will be a great deal of lane splitting, yes.
    Partly why I want to get a commuter in the first place is to save time by not having to stand still for most of my daily journey.
    I would imagine the size making a difference with this, although, when looking at the technical specifications for the Beemer and the NC, they are pretty much the same width.

  9. #149
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Although I am a firm believer that there is no substitute for cc, I do not agree that these smaller engines cannot handle a longer commute and there is the added problem that a decent F700GS or NC750 it is not just "a bit more". Both are very good option as well and in the end, it is all about available budget (keep in mind the cost of the required kit) and personal taste.
    Check my post history, and you'll see my justification. Those 390s cannot handle the long commutes. It's fairly well documented on the net too. I had 2 instances of the motor overheating, then 2 engine failures in 2300km.

    The price between a 2nd hand low mileage NC and a new 390 is a non issue either. I think the 2nd hand NCs are even cheaper than the 390.

    The power to weight ratio between those bikes is also negligible.

  10. #150
    Hooligan Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srothman View Post
    Thanks joe.
    It's about 120km round-trip, and given the peak traffic, I'd imagine there will be a great deal of lane splitting, yes.
    Partly why I want to get a commuter in the first place is to save time by not having to stand still for most of my daily journey.
    I would imagine the size making a difference with this, although, when looking at the technical specifications for the Beemer and the NC, they are pretty much the same width.
    With a newbie, lane splitting with a smaller bike will be better. But I split the same, if not better, with the R1200GS.

  11. #151
    Biker Trash joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    903

    Default

    The 300-ish market is hotting up! Sorry for the hijack of the thread.

    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

  12. #152
    The Windsurfer

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Horsham, United Kingdom
    Bike
    Walk and seemore for now
    Region
    Outside South Africa
    Posts
    1,281

    Default

    I used to commute 120km round trip everyday on my CBX250 Twister - N1 Joburg to Pretoria.

    The bike had no problems with this and was sold in good running order with about 75 000km on the clock, having never give a days trouble, and requiring only routine maintenance.

    My first 'big' bike was a BMW 650, and it made my daily commute much easier and more comfortable. I also felt safer, knowing I had a bit of acceleration to overtake etc. I also found lane splitting easier on my bigger bikes.

    With the smaller bike, I was constantly riding 'hard' to keep up with traffic (which can be done on a Twister by the way). This type of riding became physically tiring for me, and the daily commute became a bit of an ordeal. I also think I rode a lot more dangerously, because I was trying to maintain my speed.

    In my opinion and from my personal experience, if you have the budget go for the bigger bike

  13. #153
    Biker Trash joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srothman View Post
    Thanks joe.
    It's about 120km round-trip, and given the peak traffic, I'd imagine there will be a great deal of lane splitting, yes.
    Partly why I want to get a commuter in the first place is to save time by not having to stand still for most of my daily journey.
    I would imagine the size making a difference with this, although, when looking at the technical specifications for the Beemer and the NC, they are pretty much the same width.
    It has plenty km on but you are covered for 2 years...



    Can always sell it then
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

  14. #154
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    Check my post history, and you'll see my justification. Those 390s cannot handle the long commutes. It's fairly well documented on the net too. I had 2 instances of the motor overheating, then 2 engine failures in 2300km.

    The price between a 2nd hand low mileage NC and a new 390 is a non issue either. I think the 2nd hand NCs are even cheaper than the 390.

    The power to weight ratio between those bikes is also negligible.
    I have followed your post history very closely and I am pretty sure your 390 was a lemon. Sad, but true. There are many a commuter on small bikes who do thousands of km's with no problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMikel View Post
    With a newbie, lane splitting with a smaller bike will be better. But I split the same, if not better, with the R1200GS.
    Have to agree. The R1200GS is an excellent commuter. Easy to ride. Nimble beyond what most will believe and surprisingly economical, if not hammered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

    In my opinion and from my personal experience, if you have the budget go for the bigger bike
    Like is said earlier, I am a firm believer in cc's. The more, the merrier. When buying a bike, budget is critical and then, of course comes the choice between smaller/newer or bigger/older. This is a choice we can only make for ourselves. The South African market show to very interesting points. First, there is a excellent used bike market. Very healthy and it leaves the buyer spoiled for choice. Second, we don't like small bikes and as such, our market has fallen way behind. It is a pity, but it is what it is.

  15. #155
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,702

    Default

    G310GS will be available in SA from 12 January 2018 for R79650.00.

  16. #156
    Biker Trash joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Not shy with the price ...
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

  17. #157
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,702

    Default

    Here is the puppyGS.

    puppygs.jpg

  18. #158
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    38,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Not shy with the price ...
    Seems in the ballpark.

    Honda CRF 250R: R85k
    Honda CRF 250L: R75k
    Kawa Versys 300X: R75k

  19. #159
    N00b srothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    Waiting (But thinkinig maybe NC750X DCT?)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I drove past one this morning on the highway through Centurion. Guess he was doing around 100km/h, and it actually looked a lot bigger in real life. It scooted past me again when I was crawling through Midrand. Not a bad looking bike at all.

  20. #160
    N00b
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Also saw the baby GS on Saturday in Montana , not bad at all
    Will make a plan soon to go for a test drive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •